Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Ian,
Head for TQ168112.
BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

First Of The Month

Having seen a couple of Brown Hairstreak in perfect condition yesterday, I couldn't resist another bash at Steyning Rifle Range this morning (1st September). The weather was much better than forecast and I was surprised to have the place to myself, with the exception of UKBer/BC Sussex member Leigh Prevost. Two visitors from Rochester appeared later in the day, just in time for Leigh to locate a Brownie for them; their first ever! Of the 7 females I saw at close range, 4 were in very good condition, and 2 were completely unmarked - a great result for September!
UKB BH1 Steyning 1.9.13.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A bit of an apology Neil as I seldom leave comments on your PD :oops: It's only I never know quite what to say as others often beat me to it or writing "brill" etc just doesn't do it justice :? Bearing that in mind... brill shot of the September Brostreak :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Ahhggg it looks like I peaked too early Neil :lol: just when I thought it was all over! Maybe another dash over to Steyning is in order.

Another cracking photo btw.

Best

J

Butterflysaurus rex

Sorry Neil I almost forgot, you don't really need me to tell you but that's a 10 out of 10 no doubt about that :D real belter.

Best

J

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Wurzel,
No need to apologise, "brill" will do just fine, as will "amazeballs". :D

Hi B. rex,
Every year we get this 'second wave' of fresh female hairstreaks, and every year it takes me by surprise. These butterflies emerged more than a week ago, but have sat around in the ash trees doing nothing while their eggs ripen ... until now. I fluffed a shot of another 'perfect ten' later in the day, up by the top gate.
Equally intriguing is the very low number of repeat sightings from day-to-day. Of those that I do see, I doubt that I see more than 5% more than once. Worth another visit or two!

BWs, Neil

Butterflysaurus rex

Not quite so good today at Steyning today Neil :( see my diary for a report. I might just give it one last try this week though :wink:

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

September Gold

With the onset of September the early evening light always seems to take on that special quality which signals the approach of autumn. During a quick visit to Cissbury Ring I watched the butterflies collect to roost in the long grass, bathed in a beautiful golden glow.
UKB Adonis Cissbury Ring 2.9.13.jpg
Adonis Blue
UKB Small Heath Cissbury Ring 2.9.13.jpg
Small Heath

David M

Post by David M »

That Small Heath's practically sepia, Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More September Gold

Another brief visit to Cissbury Ring this evening (3rd August) produced this stunningly beautiful, blue-spotted, caeruleopunctata Small Copper.
UKB Small Copper 1 Cissbury Ring 3.9.13.jpg
UKB Small Copper 2 Cissbury Ring 3.9.13.jpg
UKB Small Copper 3 Cissbury Ring 3.9.13.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Autumn Flowers

Although I was tempted to watch another sunset from Cissbury Ring this evening (5th August), I opted to try and find some Adonis Blue aberrants at roost in a valley near Beeding, in the Adur Valley. I soon became distracted by the small but very beautiful orchid, Autumn Lady's Tresses. I regularly see this on my travels over the South Downs in September, but never before in this quantity. I didn't attempt to accurately estimate their number, but I certainly saw many hundreds and I suspect there are well in excess of 1000 plants on the site.
UKB Autumn Lady's Tresses (1) 5.9.13.jpg
UKB Autumn Lady's Tresses (2) 5.9.13.jpg
As this is supposed to be a butterfly diary, I've added an image of another Small Heath, taken in the evening sunshine on Cissbury Ring on 3rd September.
UKB Small Heath Cissbury Ring 3.9.13.jpg

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Lovely shots as usual Neil :)
I hadn't seen ALTs until earlier this week and I was amazed at just how incredibly small they are. The tallest one I measured was 7cm "high".

Trev

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cornwall Coast Path In September

Although the weather was slightly disappointing for much of the week we've just spent in Cornwall, the sun came out on the morning of 12th September and remained out all day, until it finally sunk below the rugged outline of Bodmin Moor, providing one of the most spectacular, fiery red sunsets I've seen this year. As the rest of the family took a more relaxing option, I walked the Cornwall Coast Path from Lansallos to Polruan, then retraced my steps and walked eastwards to Polperro and back.

After speaking to local expert Lee Slaughter, who suggested that I would probably do best for migrant butterflies further west (thanks for your help Lee), I decided that I would explore the coastline nearer to our holiday home in Polgooth, having visited the Lizard area several times previously. In the end I was far from disappointed with the butterflies I encountered, which included Clouded Yellow (13), Small White (c.200), Large White (5), Small Copper (1), Common Blue (4), Painted Lady (3), Small Tortoiseshell (24), Red Admiral (6), Peacock (1), Speckled Wood (c.50), Wall (4) and Meadow Brown (7). A few of the Small Tortoiseshell were seen heading out to sea and it was encouraging to see good numbers of this species elsewhere during our travels. Where the path dipped through sheltered, scrub-lined hollows, Speckled Wood males patrolled and constantly clashed. For several unfortunate individuals which became distracted by their rivals, a sticky end awaited. The image below shows a Speckled Wood packed and processed less than 10 seconds after colliding with a spider's web. However, although butterflies were plentiful, it was the breathtakingly beautiful scenery that made this a day to remember for a very long time.
UKB Speckled Wood in web, Cornwall Coast Path12.9.13.jpg
UKB Small Tortoiseshell, Cornwall Coast Path 12.9.13.jpg
UKB Cornwall Coast Path 1 12.9.13.jpg
UKB Cornwall Coast Path 2 12.9.13.jpg
UKB Cornwall Coast Path 3 12.9.13.jpg
UKB Cornwall Coast Path 4 12.9.13.jpg
UKB Cornwall Coast Path 5 12.9.13.jpg
UKB Cornwall Coast Path 6 12.9.13.jpg
UKB Cornwall Coast Path 7 12.9.13.jpg

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

No sunset photos? Ian

Susie

Post by Susie »

Beautiful photos. The second to last is a real favourite.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Agreed - beautiful shots but I still reckon Dorset's better :wink: I am totally biased of course :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I'm glad you managed to get some good weather in Cornwall,great scenery shots there,btw.

I know the Lansallos cliffs area quite well. Did you notice all the gorse bushes there? In late April and May,this south-facing area is great for Green Hairstreaks. A couple of years ago,i found my only ever mating pair here in late april. And,as you have shown,the views here are quite splendid!

Don't take any notice of that Wurzel. Dorset is excellent-but Cornwall is the best! (Not that i'm biased or anything :lol: ).

lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Glad you had a good time Neil.....Keep me informed when the Long-Tailed Blues emerge in Kent please. It was a pleasure speaking with you on the phone last week. Cheers......Lee Slaughter (Par, Cornwall).

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks all. Since Hannah has family in the area, I think we'll be here again in the not too distant future. Almost as nice as West Sussex! :wink:
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Long-tailed Blue Alert

Following a brief encounter with a perfect female Long-tailed Blue on Wednesday, I today (20th September) returned to Kingsdown Leas (near Dover) and found a second specimen. An emergence of British LTBs is now under way, following an influx of migrant butterflies during the first week of August (first picked up in Dover 6.8, Arundel 8.8, Pett & S. Wilts 9.8 etc). I also saw a very battered and faded LTB, suggesting that further migration events have occurred since the first wave - this specimen being interpreted as a primary migrant arriving late August. All three LTBs seen recently were at the St Margaret's end of the site, at Grid Ref TR379467. For those intending to make an early visit, before numbers (hopefully) pick up, it is worth pointing out that these three sightings of 20 minutes, 10 minutes and 30 seconds duration, took a total of nearly 13 hours on site to achieve.

Also today, Colin Knight found a newly emerged female LTB at Newhaven Tide Mills in East Sussex ... Congratulations!

Full report coming soon. Prepare for some late season fireworks!

Return to “Personal Diaries”