A tale of two Meadow Browns

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

A tale of two Meadow Browns

Post by Philzoid »

30/08/13.
After a tip-off of an egg laying Brown Hairstreak at Bookham Commons I decided to switch my plans for going to Denbies for Silver Spots (it probably too late anyway :? ) Previous years I'd paid quite a few visits to (local) Bookham but this was to be my first this year. I had my daughters to look after and although they couldn't remember having been there before (in actuality, three times :roll: :lol: ) they were quite ameanable to the idea ... especially as I said we would follow-up with a fruit picking session at a pick your own in Esher.

The morning started quite bright and I was full of optimism for a Brostreak sighting. However shortly after arriving it clouded over and cooled somewhat :( . The butterflies that braved the cold were Speckled Woods perching on vantage points along the paths and taking off to check-out any intruders to their territories.
A 2013.08.30 Speckled Wood, Bookham Commons.jpg
Another were the Meadow Browns which after taking to the wing seemed to find it difficult to maintain any form of sustained flight and would look to land as soon as possible to blend in with their surroundings.
B 2013.08.30 Meadow Brown, Bookham Commons.jpg
Occasionally there were short spells of hazy sunshine and the activity would pick up ... . some Small Whites, a Common Blue and few Small Coppers were also seen. :)
Slightly scuffed (brown) female Common Blue
Slightly scuffed (brown) female Common Blue
D 2013.08.30 Small Copper, Bookham Commons.jpg
bits missing from this one
bits missing from this one
The lack of sunshine had little effect on the other flying creatures, hoverflies, bees Dragonflies and Hornets as well as Common Carpet and Mother of Pearl moths.
Male Ruddy Darter
Male Ruddy Darter
Male Migrant Hawker
Male Migrant Hawker
After 2 hours or so we started to make our way back to the car for our packed lunch. Ahead of the girls I noticed what looked like a large Southern Hawker which had locked on to a lolloping Meadow Brown. The butterfly managed to escape on its first pass but the Dragonfly, undeterred came back from underneath an took the butterfly :shock: . This all happened in the space of 3 - 4 seconds. The Dragonfly made off to the nearest tall bush to dispatch its prey. This is the first time I'd ever seen a Dragonfly take a butterfly and I suppose the Meadow Brown who's relatively weak flight is compromised by the cool represents easy prey.
This all reminded me of a similar event a couple of years ago not 30 yards away from this particular spot. On that occasion the predator was a hornet and the prey another Meadow Brown because I identified the chomped off wings which came wafting down from a tree where the hornet had taken it.

I returned to the same area which was just like it was two years ago with trampled paths through a flower rich area of mint and fleabane, frequented by butterflies ..... and hornets. By comparison to the Dragonflies the hornets were cumbersome as the went from flower to flower trying to pick-off some unsuspecting insect, Then I spotted a Meadow Brown take off some 2 ft ahead of a searching hornet and the hornet was on it like an exocet missile .... straight in :shock: . The pair fell into the undegrowth and I could see the butterfly struggle before the hornet managed to drag itself and it's unfortunate victim away to higher ground.
Fake Hornet Volucella zonaria
Fake Hornet Volucella zonaria
...and the real deal
...and the real deal
The Hornet with Meadow Brown
The Hornet with Meadow Brown
Two Meadow Browns only yards apart killed in the space of 10 minutes by two different predators. Nature in tooth and claw :| .

After checking the blackthorn at Nightingale corner still in the hope of seeing Brown Hairstreak, I returned to the flower area and was very surprised to spot a male Silver-Washed Fritillary :o . Although a bit tatty, I was quite impressed with its condition for the time of year.
Male Silver-washed Frit ... in good nick
Male Silver-washed Frit ... in good nick
L 2013.08.30 Silver-washed Fritillary (male), Bookham Commons.jpg
As I continued to watch the events the Frit seemed more confident in the presence of the marauding hornets :o and was able to side-step their almost 'half-hearted' attacks. The impression I got from my observations is that the butterflies are fully aware of the predator's presence and for most of the time are able to avoid being taken by them.

Still not giving up on Brown Hairstreak I searched another area and came across another male Silver-washed Fritillary. This one looked par for the course. Wurzel's "Stumpy" sprung to mind but my daughter Isabella decided to give name with a Scottish twist, "Tatty MacTaggart" :lol:
Tatty Mactaggart, still going strong
Tatty Mactaggart, still going strong
Cool weather, worn butterflies ... I'm already starting to get nostalgic twinges for the summer. :( :wink:

Following our packed lunch I kept my promise and we went fruit picking .. and the sun blazed from then on in :roll: . Thankfully I had seen Brown Hairstreak at Shipton for this season :D .

Phil
andy brown

Re: A tale of two Meadow Browns

Post by andy brown »

Phil,

Still plenty of fresh Silver-spotted Skippers at Old Winchester Hill, attached is one from yesterday. There are also fresh common blues and a number of Adonis thrown into the pot as well.
Silver-spotted Skipper.jpg
Cheers

Andy
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sssshhhhh Andy don't encourage him he's already ahead by one ( possibly) :wink:

Interesting read Philzoid as I'm having trouble remembering if I've actually seen a butterfly being predated so to see two occurrences by two different predators must have been quite a sight :shock: 8) Great shots too :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

andy brown wrote:Still plenty of fresh Silver-spotted Skippers at Old Winchester Hill, attached is one from yesterday.
Thanks four that info Jack. I would like to go and see the Silver-spots but for me the holiday is over and its back to work on Monday :( (this has a large part to do with that feeling of nostalgia for the summer). Fingers crossed I can make it out next Saturday to Denbies which is my nearest location for Silver spots.
Wurzel wrote:Sssshhhhh Andy don't encourage him he's already ahead by one ( possibly)
"possibly" ..True! I haven't had my smessex confirmation yet. I need to get a move on for part 2 of the holiday posting :shock: :wink: .
Wurzel wrote:Interesting read Philzoid as I'm having trouble remembering if I've actually seen a butterfly being predated so to see two occurrences by two different predators must have been quite a sight
Thanks for your comments Wurzel. I reckon I was lucky to witness two predations. As I said I saw a hornet one last year but only as it was flying by carrying the butterfly to a tree (I've seen them take bees too). I think they're predominantly carnivores (which is just as well, as you wouldn't want them buzzing around you during high summer as common wasps do :shock: ).

I think the weather or temperature was a big contributing factor too, slowing down the Meadow Browns whilst seeming to have no effect on the predators.

Phil

Return to “General”