Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Jack Harrison

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Jack Harrison »

Indeed, a vintage year Neil. I am full of admiration for your stamina.

My only real butterfly twitch was a 170 mile round trip for a Camberwell Beauty. I have been tempted by others, eg the Queens at Chichester. And I am sure if I still lived in Cambridgeshire, I would go for the Kent LT Blues in a month’s time.

So, how far are you prepared to travel if say a Berger’s or a Scarce Swallowtail is reported to have settled down in a particular locality? Scillies?

What is your total number of species seen in Britain? And what possibilities are you still missing?

Jack

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,

If there was a large fall of Monarch on the Scillies I would certainly consider a trip. A visit to the Channel Islands to study the Large Tortoiseshell is on my 'to do' list.

In the UK I've seen all 59, plus Queen of Spain (9; Chichester and Springhead Hill), Large Tortoiseshell (8; Littlehampton Bridge, Newtimber Hill, Woodhouse Copse IOW and Walter's Copse IOW), Long-tailed Blue (6; Kingsdown Leas), Camberwell Beauty (1; RSPB Pulborough Brooks), Monarch (1; Portland), European Swallowtail (1; Wilmington) and Black-veined White (2; Stockbridge Down, highly dodgy, almost certainly releases). I've seen a few other 'goodies', including the very rare 'ab. polonus' (bellargus x coridon) and a large number of named aberrants. I would certainly like to catch up with a Pale Clouded Yellow, but there isn't much more that I have a realistic chance of seeing. Perhaps Map?

I'm quite happy to play the listing game, but to put it in context this remains an insignificant interest when compared to the hands-on conservation work I'm involved with. Personal lists will soon pass into irrelevance with time.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hairstreak Peak

The Brown Hairstreak now appears to be at peak in Sussex, based on results at the well-watched Steyning Rifle Range site. Large numbers of hairstreak fans continue to visit and yesterday (28th August) saw about half a dozen females at work in the blackthorn, with nearly as many staying up high. Some of the females are still in surprisingly good condition. The butterfly was very obliging (unlike the previous day), so everyone went away with some pleasing images. Sometimes it's nice to find peace and solitude while out butterflying, but Steyning provides the goods at the opposite end of the scale; there's often a real party atmosphere here as we celebrate the last few weeks of another season. When the scores on the doors are counted, this will prove to have been a rather average betulae season locally, and I believe some parts of the country have fared significantly better. If you want to see a Brownie in good condition this year, the coming weekend might be your last chance.
UKB Brown Hairstreak Steyning 28.8.13.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak 3 Steyning 28.8.13.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak 2 Steyning 28.8.13.jpg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I love the first shot Neil, I know you showed it to me yesterday but it looks even better on the big screen, lovely stuff :D

I'll give you a 9.5 and a half for that one :wink:

All the best

J

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The symmetrical nicks in the forewings - suggested reasons please Neil.
(crawling though foliage with wings closed perhaps?)

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
That's a subject I've covered in some detail on here, illustrated with close-up images. It might be in my Personal Diary, but could have been a separate topic. I'll dig it out once the flight season is over.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks B. rex. I've awarded myself a more generous 9.75. See you on the cliffs for LTB! :D
BWs, Neil

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

are you joining the winter gathering Neil? i'll buy you a beer or 2 for the amount of work you get through that keep the sussex populations going.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Chris. Looks like I should be able to make it this year. :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Mr & Mrs

As I was passing Mill Hill this afternoon (29th August) at about the right time (c.5 pm), I couldn't resist a brief visit to watch the Adonis Blues go to roost. A few fresh male and female butterflies can still be found here, amongst the rapidly fading Chalkhills.
UKB Adonis male Mill Hill 29.8.13.jpg
UKB Adonis female Mill Hill 29.8.13.jpg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Thanks B. rex. I've awarded myself a more generous 9.75. See you on the cliffs for LTB! :D
BWs, Neil
9.75 eh! Well allright then I'm happy with that :D I hope we'll see the season out in ablaze of LTB glory.

Another cracking pair of Adonis photos there Neil.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The Bluest Blue

Today (30th August) I visited the Sussex Wildlife Trust reserve at Malling Down with BC Sussex Chair Nigel Symington. Crispin Holloway, who has walked the transect here for many years, had alerted me to the exceptional number of second brood Adonis Blue currently flying in the deep coombes above Lewes, and we were not to be disappointed! We saw many hundreds, representing a small proportion of the total population. Conditions for photography were very difficult and the strong wind whisked away many desirable specimens, including a stunning female with huge, blood-red lunules along her rear wing margins. The steep slopes of Malling Down have never been easily accessible, but at the moment a visit is highly recommended.
UKB Adonis Blue 3 Malling Down 30.8.13.jpg
UKB Adonis Blue 1 Malling Down 30.8.13.jpg
UKB Adonis Blue 2 Malling Down 30.8.13.jpg
UKB Malling Down 30.8.13.jpg
UKB Adonis Blue 4 Malling Down 30.8.13.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

With detail like the scales in the last image, who needs a DSLR? :twisted: (there should be a Smilie for "stir")

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Even by your standards, Neil, those images are particularly stunning.

How DO you do it? You were using similar equipment to me when we met at Botany Bay a few weeks ago. :?

Crispin

Post by Crispin »

Neil, those are superb photos!
That female with the blood-red lunules sounded interesting.

I guess you would have seen quite a few Silver-spotted Skippers too?

Malling Down, this year, is the best it has been for a long time - it is always good but this year it is superb.

Had a very fresh Painted Lady in the garden this morning - I expect we shall all be seeing more soon, along with the LTB & CY in few weeks.

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Great to read your diary with such wonderful photos.
Hopefully, your daughter will take the baton from you in due course.
BWs
Ian

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ian:
Hopefully, your daughter will take the baton from you in due course.
Mustn't write Neil off too soon. F.W.Frohawk kept going until he was 85 and wrote his famous tome The Complete Book of British Butterflies at the age of 73.

But there the comparison with The Kipper must end. Frohawk was born in Norfolk and even lived for a while in his youth in that splendid town (?) of Great Yarmouth.
Not that I am biased of course.
Harrison's.jpg
Harrison's.jpg (23.33 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks all,

David: I'm still using the trusty FZ38 with close-up lens. In good light it can certainly take a good picture. :D

Crispin: Yes, Silver-potted Kipper still going well on Malling, although clearly beyond peak season now.

Ian & Jack: I'm rather hoping that Mia will be helping me to the top of Heyshott Escarpment when I'm 100. 85 is quite young these days.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hairstreaks Making Hay

Visitor numbers are now decreasing at Steyning Rifle Range, but not the number of Brown Hairstreaks on view. Nine females were active this morning (31st August) in the warm harvest sunshine, including two which remained just above head-height. Both of these were in perfect condition and probably haven't started egg-laying yet. The others varied in condition, from battered to quite reasonable, with the specimen below being at the better end of the scale.
UKB Brown Hairstreak Steyning 31.8.13.jpg

Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

How do I get to Steyning rifle range as I may get there tomorrow?
Regards
Ian

Return to “Personal Diaries”