Wall Brown At Noar Hill??

Discussion forum for sightings.
Paul Harfield

Wall Brown At Noar Hill??

Post by Paul Harfield »

I was at Noar Hill on Sunday just gone and am sure I saw a Wall Brown :?: As Noar Hill is such a well monitored site, I am doubting myself slightly as I can not find any reference to this species at this site. I only saw one, along the track at the side of the reserve near the large cattle gate. I disturbed it and only saw it in flight and no photo :( If I had been at a known Wall site I would be 100% sure of what I had seen. Of course I could be mistaken :oops:
Comments please
Mark Tutton

Re: Wall Brown At Noar Hill??

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Paul
Check out butterflies of Hampshire - worth getting a copy if you can, has lots of useful information about historical sites in hampshire. http://www.nhbs.com/the_butterflies_of_ ... 06543.html
Wall was widespread across the south downs, including Noar Hill, during the eighties, but seems to have deserted this habitat during the last twenty years - unlike in Sussex - although recent sightings around Shipton Bellinger shows it hanging on here.
Noar Hill is is a long distance from any of the 'known' Hampshire sites and it doesn't seem to have been recorded on transect here since 1990 see http://www.ukbms.org/SpeciesbySites.asp ... iteId=1022 but there are a few sightings noted on the maps in recent Sussex Butterfly reports that look like they are reasonably close to Noar Hill so maybe?
Kind Regards
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

We had a mysterious Wall sighting near Cambridge this week too, miles from any known sites.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks for the links to the relevant information Mark :D
I was hoping somebody else might say they have seen one there recently :? to put my mind to rest. I have left this one off my sightings report for the moment.
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

In some years Wall Brown has a third brood in Shoreham, Sussex.

Return to “Sightings”