Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Broomer

Re: hideandseek

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you again for your very kind comments Neil, really appreciated. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Some lovely Clouded Yellow shots Nick, they can be very hard work, you press the shutter release button and end up with a photo of an empty flower head :roll: and thats after spending ages getting into position :!: :wink:

All the best,

Mike

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Mike. :D :D Photos of empty flower heads! I have a whole library full of them. :roll: :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Up date on the Comma larva....

I went to photograph the 3rd instar larva and missed it, it had just shed it`s skin for the final time. [been really busy] So here are three photos of the Comma larva, now two days into the 4th instar stage
19.8.2013 005-1_1.jpg
19.8.2013 003-3_1.jpg
19.8.2013 Comma 2 days into 4th instar 003.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

18th August...

A different view....
18.8.2013 CW female Common Blue 059.jpg
Common Blue, female

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A different view...
25.8.13 Common Blue, male 039.jpg
Common Blue, male....

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A different view..

Wood White, female...
18.8.2013 CW female Wood White 032.jpg
18.8.2013 CW antennae, female Wood White 029.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Nick,

Great close-up work. I particularly like the detail of the Wood White wing and antennae :D :D :D

Keep it up ...

Kindest regards. Mark

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning, stunning shots Nick :D :D I wish I had the craft and the guts to do something so different and execute it so perfectly :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Mark, thank you for you very kind words, appreciated as always. :D :D The photo of the antennae was extremely difficult to capture, so i am glad you particularly liked that shot, and the photo of the Wood White`s wing, which was only a very small section of the hindwing.

Wurzel, thank you for your extremely kind comments, :D :D appreciated as always. I`m sure you will achieve the same standard of photo or better when you get your extension tubes as your photography is already excellent.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

A late summers wish............

Clouded Yellow ovum.........
17.8.2013 Clouded Yellow ovum 003_2.jpg
12.8.2013--Clouded-Yellow-ovum CW 023-2_1.jpg
16.8.2013 Clouded Yellow ovum 030-1_1.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Up date on the Comma larva.....

The Comma larva attached itself to a Nettle leaf stem on the 22.8 at 10.45pm, so i took a few photos before setting off to work the following morning.
23.8.13 Comma pupa 008-1_1.jpg
And when i finished work this is how i found it.
23.8.13 Comma pupa 078_4.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Superb stuff. Vince Massimo has competition! :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic close up shots Nick :mrgreen: :D It's great watching their progress, fingers crossed for the Clouded Yellow :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Excellent work Nick :D

Last year the pupal stages for my Commas lasted between 12 and 20 days. I reared 2 this year which took 13 and 16 days respectively to hatch.

Vince

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely stuff Nick, great close-ups as always :D

Mike

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you David, Wurzel, Vince and Mike for your really kind comments, appreciated. :D :D :D :D

Wurzel, i have everything crossed for the next generation of Clouded Yellows, so much so i fell on the floor when i tried to get up from my chair. :roll: :wink:

Vince, it took my Comma nine and a half days to emerge, from the time the larva had attached itself to the Nettle leaf stem. Much quicker than anticapated, i was looking at about fourteen days.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

26th August... Hanging on...............just....

Another visit to my local patch on this beautiful sunny afternoon produced so many Brimstones all feeding up for the long winter ahead of them. They did`nt bat an eyelid as i got in their face with my camera, some even landing closer to me than the one i was photographing, which was such a nice change from their normal behaviour of clearing off before you can get anywhere near them. A couple of Peacocks were also seen along with some tatty Silver-washed Fritillaries, all females, Common Blues, an egg laying Wood White, the lastest i have witnessed this, a few Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers plus Green-vained, Small and Large Whites, and just about hanging on was a male Large Skipper.
26.8.13 CW 117-1_1.jpg
And for a different reason, a Small Copper, hanging on in these woods, just. As this was the first individual i have seen here for two years, so was a lovely surprise...........
26.8.13 CW 155-1_1.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

hideandseek wrote:26th August...and just about hanging on was a male Large Skipper.
Wow. He looks in decent nick too.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Agreed that Small Copper looks great, must be using Revitalift :wink: That Large Skipper seems really late but then it's been a bit all over the place this year timing wise.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”