Another new-bee

Let us know what you think of the UK Butterflies website, and tell us something about yourself!
Butterflysaurus rex

Another new-bee

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Hello good people :D

I'm a long time lurker from East Sussex, in the course of my travels I have been fortunate enough to bump into some of you and I hope to meet many more fellow enthusiasts in the future.
When I figure out how to upload photos I will post a 'test example' or two. The standard of photography around here is VERY HIGH INDEED so I'll probably keep my head down a bit :wink:

It's been a great year this year, numbers of most species have been doing really well in Sussex.

J
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Another new-bee

Post by Pete Eeles »

Welcome to UKB! And don't be shy - would love to see your photos and hear your observations!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Hi 'Rex',

Welcome to the site. I agree about the standard of photography. I don't know how some of them do it!
Butterflysaurus rex

Pete Eeles wrote:Welcome to UKB! And don't be shy - would love to see your photos and hear your observations!

Cheers,

- Pete
Thanks Pete, I will certainly post some just as soon as I work out how to do it :D now where did I leave that brain of mine??
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

When you make a post, there's a tab below the text field that says "Upload attachment". Click on that and all will be revealed :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:Hi 'Rex',

Welcome to the site. I agree about the standard of photography. I don't know how some of them do it!
Hello David, I'm not too sure either but I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of patience skill and probably a bit of blind luck might play a large part in it all :D
Butterflysaurus rex

Pete Eeles wrote:When you make a post, there's a tab below the text field that says "Upload attachment". Click on that and all will be revealed :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Ah! thanks again Pete, I think I ought to downsize a few first, otherwise you might find your server stuffed full of enormous jpgs!
Butterflysaurus rex

Test image
Clouded Yellow - Male.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Well done James. Looking forward to seeing more of your pics. Take care and see you over the hills soon.
Bob.
David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Test image
Easy, isn't it? :D

Lovely, backlit male by the way.
Butterflysaurus rex

Thank you kindly Bob and David, hope to see you out there again Bob :D

Oddly I noticed that most of my Clouded Yellow images seem to be of females, not sure why!
David M

Post by David M »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote: Oddly I noticed that most of my Clouded Yellow images seem to be of females, not sure why!
I think females are more prone to dispersal in order to locate suitable foodplants upon which to lay eggs.
Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:
Butterflysaurus rex wrote: Oddly I noticed that most of my Clouded Yellow images seem to be of females, not sure why!
I think females are more prone to dispersal in order to locate suitable foodplants upon which to lay eggs.
That would explain it, I've yet to see an egg laying female. I've seen lots of courting but but never a pairing up or an ovipositing female.
David M

Post by David M »

You're luckier than me then.

I've never seen courting Clouded Yellows, even in France where they're extremely common.

Given that both sexes will be exhausted after a cross Channel flight, I guess the males are more prone to stay put as they know that more females will be on their way.

Mated females, however, will need to find egg laying sites, and they'll fly long distances until they're happy with what they encounter.

Return to “Guestbook”