Chamonix (French Alps ) - Part 2

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
kevling

Chamonix (French Alps ) - Part 2

Post by kevling »

Our second family hike took us across the Grand Balcon Nord. A levelish walk at 2000m from Plan Du L'Aiguile to the Mer De Glace. Prior to this we took in the summit of the Aiguille Du Midi at 12600ft. To my amazement we saw a couple of Small Tortoiseshells. Is this an altitude record, or is not unusual to see Butterflies reach these dizzying heights?

Given my naivety with Satyridae in Part 1, I'm hoping I can redeem my self with the first two photos here. I think they could be Blind Ringlets, although I am aware that Mnestras can sometimes have the two small dots often missing.
Blind Ringlet.jpg
Blind Ringlet 2.jpg
Next up was another Alpine Heath, which were plentiful in most places we visited.
Alpine Heath GBN.jpg
Another most numorous species in the area was the Arran Brown.
Arran Brown.jpg
The footpath then entered an area of increased vegetation and the variety of fauna was magnificent. Whilst I tried to photograph more Alpine Heaths, my wife urged me to join her, where she said she had spotted something special. She had indeed, our first ever Large Blue.
Large Blue 1.jpg
Large Blue 2.jpg
The next two blues have me flummoxed though. Any help greatly appreciated.
Unknown Blue 1.jpg
Unknown Blue 2.jpg
No mistaking what we saw next though. A chequered skipper. I have been reading about these in Northern Scotland, so was very happy to stumble across one. I would have liked a slightly closer photo, but I was perilously close to tumbling a couple of hundred feet getting this one!
Chequered Skipper.jpg
One ofthe most common butterlies seen during the holiday was the Black Veined White. A superb species, especially when I found two mating.
Black Veined Whites 1.jpg
Black Veined Whites 2.jpg
Shortly after this we saw a Peak White.
Peak White 1.jpg
Peak White 2.jpg
I add the next white for ID purposes please. Not sure if it is Small White or Southern Small White?
White.jpg
Finally to afritillary. I'm taking a guess at Titanias.
Titanias - GBN.jpg
The next installment to follow.

Kind Regards and thanks for any corrections and IDs.
Kevin
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chamonix (French Alps ) - Part 2

Post by Padfield »

Hi Kev. More lovely photos from what must have been a very exciting holiday.

I agree those are blind ringlets. The second one definitely and the first one almost definitely, but I can't see as much detail as I'd like.

Your first unidentified blue appears to be a male (from what can be seen of the abdomen) and is therefore a little blue.

The next blue is Plebejus - I would say almost certainly a female silver-studded blue.

The white is a small white and the fritillary is probably a female Boloria pales - the shepherd's fritillary. The only other possibility is female cranberry fritillary (though these often have rather suffused ups) - an underside would confirm. If it was in a dense patch of Vaccinium this possibility is worth considering - but then again, you can't go back to check!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Oh, happy days!

Looks like you've had a great time butterfly spotting (and why wouldn't you in such a species-rich part of Europe?)

Bring the next set on!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice photos Kev. Surely a Holiday to remember. The nice thing in the Alps is the variety of flora and fauna and you never know which butterfly you're going to come across next.
Chris.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Excellent photos !!

i especially liked the one of the two black veined whites

Charles

8) 8)
kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.