Marek (The Annoying Czech)

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
The Annoying Czech

Re: Marek (The Annoying Czech)

Post by The Annoying Czech »

I started experimenting with shooting under the evening sun with two favourable results so far:

First I made many attempts on commoner Dryas species...
Dryad (Minois dryas), NPR Certoryje, White Carphathians (August 2, 2013)
Dryad (Minois dryas), NPR Certoryje, White Carphathians (August 2, 2013)
...while this Damon Blue - very scarce (everywhere outside the Alps?) - is the only ex. I met.
Damon Blue (Polyommatus damon), southern Moravia (August 3, 2013)
Damon Blue (Polyommatus damon), southern Moravia (August 3, 2013)
This is not his biotope but view visible from the place.
Southern Moravia landscape character (August 3, 2013)
Southern Moravia landscape character (August 3, 2013)
Nothing important was on flight here.
Návsí, Těšínské Beskydy Mts. (July 31, 2013)
Návsí, Těšínské Beskydy Mts. (July 31, 2013)

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Annoying Czech

Now something completely different - "annoyness of the season" - damn Large Copper :D

They were washed down pretty badly during the late Spring washout, but I've seen 4 or 5 Summer generation ex. so far. That's still low. Photo taken 15 minutes before the sunset.
Lycaena dispar rutilus, Sedliste - foothills of the Beskydy Mts., Czech Republic (August 12, 2013)
Lycaena dispar rutilus, Sedliste - foothills of the Beskydy Mts., Czech Republic (August 12, 2013)
SPBFs are still doing fine in the local mountains, if the biotope is wealthy and not too scrubby.
Boloria selene, Dolni Lomna, eastern Beskydy Mts. (August 11, 2013)
Boloria selene, Dolni Lomna, eastern Beskydy Mts. (August 11, 2013)
One of the rather botchy photos. Unfortunately, I clearly seem to have an extraordinarily high level of botching the SPBF photos, having 6 pics in my personal "near trash" folder :shock:
Boloria selene, Bukovec - Bariny, Tesinske Beskydy Mts. (August 11, 2013)
Boloria selene, Bukovec - Bariny, Tesinske Beskydy Mts. (August 11, 2013)
Swallowtail is reasonably widespread these years but solitary. Don't like the photo again.
Papilio machaon, Trinec - foothills of the Beskydy Mts. (July 31, 2013)
Papilio machaon, Trinec - foothills of the Beskydy Mts. (July 31, 2013)
I'm hopefully driving at Croatia this Friday, see you next week :idea:

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Evening Marek, those are beautiful, artistic photos but you do make me laugh - I wish I had ONLY 6 photos in my 'near trash' folder instead of about 600! :roll:

The Annoying Czech

Hello. The Croatian trip (including 2x15 hours spent behind the steering wheel) was lined with problems but also with some great species seen. The whole country is very nice (maybe saving their tolls called cestarina :D) and coastal city of Opatija is just great.

Since I was prepared to do everything for success, I was leaving the campsite (full of Germans, Italians, Dutchmen and obviously Slovakians and Czechs) at this time:
Sunrise over Presika, Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 19, 2013)
Sunrise over Presika, Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 19, 2013)
This time, the list of "first ever seen" animals would be endless and Limenitis reducta was one of them that didn't give the slip, unlike Argynnis pandora or Libythea celtis.
Southern White Admiral (Limenitis reducta), Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 18, 2013)
Southern White Admiral (Limenitis reducta), Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 18, 2013)
I haven't yet seen Melitaea didyma in CZE but they seem to be a total ubiquists in Croatia. When I found the mating couple, the valley was far after the sunset already.
Spotted Fritillary (Melitaea didyma), Croatia (August 18, 2013)
Spotted Fritillary (Melitaea didyma), Croatia (August 18, 2013)
Believe or not, I neither saw nor photographed Pyronia tithonus before.
Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus), Croatia (August 19, 2013)
Gatekeeper (Pyronia tithonus), Croatia (August 19, 2013)
My best shot ever IMO. Cooperation of the particular imago was exemplary. All in all, greatest possible ending of a great (but still a bit rainy) season.
False Grayling (Arethusana arethusa), Croatia (August 19, 2013)
False Grayling (Arethusana arethusa), Croatia (August 19, 2013)
I'm definitely coming back next year, since it's not that far respecting all the species I may see - everything is so different.

To be continued later :wink:

David M

Post by David M »

I shall look forward to the next instalment, Marek.

Wonderful images (as ever).

The Annoying Czech

Since I temporarily changed my priorities, I didn't do much butterflying since late September.

What remains to be posted from late Summer:
Presika, Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 19, 2013)
Presika, Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 19, 2013)
Adonis Blue (Polyommatus bellargus), Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 19, 2013)
Adonis Blue (Polyommatus bellargus), Istrian peninsula, Croatia (August 19, 2013)
Short-tailed Blue (Cupido argiades), Bruzovice, Czech Republic (August 30, 2013)
Short-tailed Blue (Cupido argiades), Bruzovice, Czech Republic (August 30, 2013)
Again, Cupido argiades was the most abundant Autumn species 'round my village, once we counted app. 100 ex altogether with my colleague. Swallowtails were fairly numerous too.

In late August I found another dispersing Sooty Copper male just behind my house. I discovered another new local species this year, Cupido decoloratus, in 2 ex. (one of the northernmost findings), re-found Pontia daplidice (app. 3 ex.), a friend of mine re-found Argynnis aglaja (1 ex.)

In 2014 I'm intending to participate on mapping some open woods species and possibly tyrfophiles of peat bogs, as well as transect mapping. I'm also surely re-visiting Croatia - very affordable :D

Since I probably found limits of my camera/lenses, I'd like to switch to Canon soon: my macro photography needs to be improved and not stagnate.

Farewell in Spring :!:

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Marek,
Very nice photos from this summer, and interesting to see the landscape photos at the same time.
Greetings from Marseilles.
CJ

The Annoying Czech

Thank you, I'd say I was 100% dedicated to our thing from April to September.

But today was time to switch the roles from author to object.
40IMG_3679_.jpg
39IMG_3678_.jpg
36IMG_3653y_.jpg
17IMG_3586_.jpg
I'm so young for a butterflier, I know.

Btw, photos has been taken on the biotopes of Dusky Large Blues.

This would be possibly one of the last posts from me till next season, at least in my diary. Have a great winter :D

David M

Post by David M »

What breed is the dog, Marek?

The Annoying Czech

Hi, David. Long time no see. Anyway, how on earth should I know? It was just a borrowed dog of some random passerby ladies. All I know is he was pretty ticklish :D

(EDIT - italy truffeldog, maybe?)

The Annoying Czech

Four more butterflies from Croatia.
Arethusana arethusa
Arethusana arethusa
Polyommatus bellargus
Polyommatus bellargus
Pyronia tithonus
Pyronia tithonus
Melitaea didyma
Melitaea didyma

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks for the photos Marek. How is winter treating you?
Chris

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Annoying Czech

Winter's gone :D

Today at 5 a.m. I had to scrape the frozen windows of my car. When leaving the work, it was already sunny, nearly 20C :shock:

I'm also armed with Canon EOS 60D & Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM now. It cost me more than two monthly wages. I hope it'll help me with my long way to the top :shock: :D

Now I'm taming the beast.

The Annoying Czech

Early and premature Czech Spring as I've seen it with my Canon 180/3.5 L Macro USM lens.
babocka bile c, 12.3.2014, bruzovice.JPG
babocka bile c, 22.3.2014, bruzovice (1).jpg
babocka bile c, 22.3.2014, bruzovice (2).jpg
babocka bile c, 30.3.2014, bruzovice.jpg
9.3.2014 - pink is the color (bruzovivce).jpg
However, the lens so modern, perfect and easy that one gets bored and decide to complicate his life a bit... With Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 135/4 (1956) Cost me about $50 overall, an absolute bargain and steal considering its sexy bokeh and (sometimes) reasonable sharpness.
triotar 135-4 (1).JPG
babocka bile c, 2.4.2014, bruzovice.jpg
belasek rerichovy, 30.3.2014, bruzovice.jpg
2014_03_30_bruzovice_okoli_zd.JPG
2.4.2014 - kvaziumelecnost neostrosti.jpg
3.4.2014 - germansky kral triotar vladne.JPG
I also have a "new" Russian tele Tair 300/4.5 otherwise known as Photosn(a)iper to be tested in field later. So far seems to have surprisingly good optics and atrocious weight and ergonomics. Helios 58/2 was present too ($140 overall).
tair 300-4.5.JPG
zenit_set.jpg

The Annoying Czech

Hi, I went nuts and bought three new lens (I am especially happy to overbid Germans two times) but none of them has already arrived.

So I have been practicing with my "old" stuff.
Probably no Boeing 747 (Triotar 135/4)
Probably no Boeing 747 (Triotar 135/4)
Tair 300/4.5 "velvet bokeh"
Tair 300/4.5 "velvet bokeh"
Before the storm (Triotar 135/4)
Before the storm (Triotar 135/4)
Erynnis tages with Triotar 135/4
Erynnis tages with Triotar 135/4
Papilio machaon with Triotar 135/4
Papilio machaon with Canon 180/3.5L
Papilio machaon with Canon 180/3.5L
belasek rerichovy, 20.4.2014, bruzovice.jpg[/attachment ][attachment=9]belasek rerichovy, 18.4.2014, bruzovice.jpg
Already scrapped Anthocharis cardamines with Triotar 135/4
Already scrapped Anthocharis cardamines with Triotar 135/4
Have a nice Spring :D

Marek
Attachments
Anthocharis cardamines with Canon 180/3.5L
Anthocharis cardamines with Canon 180/3.5L
Anthocharis cardamines with Triotar 135/4
Anthocharis cardamines with Triotar 135/4

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some lovely photos there especially the Commas and Orange Tips.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

The Annoying Czech wrote:I am especially happy to overbid Germans two times
:lol:

Love the Swallowtail shots, Marek!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic, as ever, Marek. You sure put the effort in.

The Annoying Czech

Hi guys, today I'm about to post stuff made during my trip to Brno and Palava Mts., southern Moravia, as well as from sunny April/May mornings around my village.

Since I suffered a couple of accidents, I've broken both my camera and two lens, including my 180mm macro Canon. It cost me app. 300 GBP including extra care for some of my "new" old lens - very unpleasant. I'm generally out of money once again and intend to move to UK in Autumn to get rich :shock: As we Czechs tend to say, I'm poor as a church mouse :D

That macro Canon won't be available soon, so I have a photobag full of old lens (two Tairs, Trioplan with missing EOS adapter), Triotar and Telemegor) I'm surely not ashamed to use and search for its limits!

The winner is not yet decided though, every lens seem to have some pluses and minuses, but cheap and not that sharp Telemegor 180 tend to have the nicest and most swirly bokeh under sunny circumstances.

Yours,

Marek the Lens Destroyer

P.S. I seem to be obsessed with photography and strongly depending on having/not having the equiment ready :cry:
Attachments
Crazy bubbles in the morning sun (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Crazy bubbles in the morning sun (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Crazy bubbles in the morning sun II. (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Crazy bubbles in the morning sun II. (Telemegor 180/5.5)
A tree, obviously (Tair 133/2.8)
A tree, obviously (Tair 133/2.8)
Palava Mts. - Devicky Castle (Canon 180L Macro)
Palava Mts. - Devicky Castle (Canon 180L Macro)
Leptidea reali-juvernica (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Leptidea reali-juvernica (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Papilio machaon (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Papilio machaon (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Leptidea reali-juvernica II. (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Leptidea reali-juvernica II. (Telemegor 180/5.5)
Iphiclides podalirius (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Iphiclides podalirius (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Boloria dia (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Boloria dia (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Lasiommata megera (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Lasiommata megera (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Cupido minimus mating (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Cupido minimus mating (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Zerynthia polyxena (Canon 180/3.5L Macro)
Zerynthia polyxena (Tair 133/2.8)
Zerynthia polyxena (Tair 133/2.8)

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I see you're enjoying yourself with your new photo kit. I did notice the images of your Russian equipment higher up - it does look like really solid stuff.
That photo of the 2 minimus is great but it makes me wince because coincidentally I had my first sighting of a minimus today, but the quality of my photos with my Panasonic FZ150 does not come up to your level!! Keep 'em coming.
Chris

Return to “Personal Diaries”