New to forum, and to butterflying (?)

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
wakou2

New to forum, and to butterflying (?)

Post by wakou2 »

Hallo folks, I came across the forum whilst looking for info. I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7127
Anyways I know next to nothing about butterflies, but just in the last 36 hours I have been paying a bit more attention, and have lots of questions. I shall put them here, and hope that a moderator or admin will direct them where they should go.

The common ones, Do they vary in size? ie whites and tortoiseshells, or are they different species?
Is there a dearth or shortage of Red Admirals this year? (I think I saw two of them today, but they were silhouetted against the sun, and may well have been summat else)
I think I have brimstones, could I be mixing them with another species? They are a buttery/buttermilk colour.
I saw a small one today, which I am almost certain I have not seen before. He politely sat for about 10 minutes, whilst I ran and got the camera, and sorted everything. I took about 10 good close-ups. Unfortunately I had the camera on a wrong setting, and there is nothing to see. He was small, grey/brown mottled. Big head and abdomen, hairy. I have tried on the ID site, and it comes up with this: http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/spe ... %20Skipper
Which somehow I doubt.
And..... What was that yellow one with orangey brown ?.... And are the little brown ones 'gatekeepers'? And the blue one? etc etc etc.
David M

Re: New to forum, and to butterflying (?)

Post by David M »

wakou2 wrote:Do they vary in size? ie whites and tortoiseshells, or are they different species?
They sure do vary in size between species and even within a single species, there can be a fair (certainly noticeable difference in size between male and female)

Is there a dearth or shortage of Red Admirals this year?
Yes. They were badly hit by the abnormally cold spring. I didn't see my first till almost July!!
I think I have brimstones, could I be mixing them with another species? They are a buttery/buttermilk colour.
Male Brimstones are pale yellow. Females are a greenish tinged cream colour. It's easy to mistake females for Large Whites in flight.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Welcome to the forum. Do look at the 'front pages' of this website as there's loads of information about butterflies there.

I think you should also get yourself a field guide, which will answer a lot of your questions. A good small guide is the "Pocket Guide to the Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland" Written and illustrated by Richard Lewington, available from http://www.britishwildlife.com/bwpbooksview.asp for £8. A more comprehensive and very interesting book is "The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland (2nd Edition)" by Jeremy Thomas, illustrated by Richard Lewington - £25 from the same publisher. If you like to see photographs then I like "Photographic Guide to British Moths and Butterflies" by Chris Manley, A&C Black 2008.

Mike
wakou2

Post by wakou2 »

Thank you Mike

Return to “General”