Gatekeeper/Meadow Brown Aberration??

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
bugmadmark

Gatekeeper/Meadow Brown Aberration??

Post by bugmadmark »

Just back off holiday from North Norfolk.

Whilst enjoying the large number of butterflies and moths fluttering over the cliffs at West Runton (loads of Essex Skippers, Gatekeepers, a few MB's, the usual Whites and lots of 6 Spot Burnets) I came across 2 or 3 of these. At first I thought they were Gatekeepers - but now I'm not so sure. One thing for certain was their behaviour was slightly different to the Gatekeepers in the way they chose to flutter through the grass. And they stood out from MBs in that they were smaller (like Gatekeepers) but had very distinctive pale patches on hind wings. Sorry about pic quality - I only had an iPhone 4 on me this day and when i went back a few days later armed withthe photo gear it was too windy on the cliff for the butterflies to make an appearance.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (60.27 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Gatekeeper/Meadow Brown Aberration??

Post by Pete Eeles »

Definitely a male Gatekeeper.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Yup. Can't possibly be anything else.

Rare 100% definitive answer here.
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Ha - thanks - Glad to give you an easy one! I suspected it was too - but is it normal for the patches to be cream rather than orange? The only orange colouration was behind the head on the forewings, and their was a lack of spots on the hind wings?
David M

Post by David M »

bugmadmark wrote:Ha - thanks - Glad to give you an easy one! I suspected it was too - but is it normal for the patches to be cream rather than orange? The only orange colouration was behind the head on the forewings, and their was a lack of spots on the hind wings?
No, it's not terribly "normal" as such, but it's something the casual observer will witness occasionally as the species (particularly the males) loses its lustre as age advances.

These insects have been out for a few weeks now. They've been flying about, trawling through vegetation, battling with rivals, withstanding heavy wind and rain, et al so it's no real surprise that the colours fade.

Usually, they fade to a dull orange but I've seen a fair few almost grey by the time late August arrives.

Return to “Identification”