Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: hideandseek

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot Nick :D She certainly seems to have a heavy abdomen does this mean she's yet to lay?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks Wurzel, :D every time i looked at her i thought she might be expectant, or is it just the fact that the wings are slightly back showing more of the abdomen than usual, which are quite chubby on these lovely litttle insects. But if she is heavily laden with eggs, then i`m sure she is ready to lay, or was when i took the photo. :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd August......South Downs......

Dew drops.........
3.8.2013 062_4.jpg
3.8.2013 058_3.jpg
3.8.2013 062-13_4.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Nice sequence. Definitely haven't seen raindrop-bedecked Clouded Yellow images before.

Very imaginative.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hold the phone Nick that is an immense series of shots :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I remember your very kind comments about my dew covered Marbled Whites and I will now return them to you 1000 fold, shot of the year in my book :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a great photo Nick and clearly a lot of effort has gone into it - I'm guessing perhaps even more than one visit. Wish I could get out that early in the morning more often as it really is the best time .....

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you David, Wurzel and Pauline for your very kind comments, really appreciated. :D :D :D

Pauline, it was just the one visit to the South Downs, i found the Clouded Yellow within minutes of arriving that morning. :D

David, i think the butterfly did everything for me, so i did`nt have to be all that imaginative. :D

Wurzel, you did`nt have to return my comments 1000 fold, but it was extremely kind of you and, really appreciated, thank you. :D :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Stunning images Nick, they really stand out!

All the Best

Mike

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Mike thats very kind of you. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3rd August... South Downs.... continued......
A lady painted...
3.8.2013 251_1.jpg
3.8.2013 215-1_3.jpg
3.8.2013 218-1_1.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

4th August..

It was back to my local patch today and, it was one of my better decisions. The variety of butterflies on the wing, and in good numbers amazed me, with Silver-washed Fritillaries, [the females out numbering the males] White Admirals, a single Painted Lady, Wood Whites, peacocks, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Brimstones, Green-veined, Small and Large Whites, Gatekeepers, a single Small Tortoiseshell, a handful of Common blues, Comma, a Speckled Wood, plus Small and Large skippers making it a very memorable day.
4.8.2013 155-1_1.jpg
Finding another pair of Wood White in copulation was the highlight of the trip for me,
4. 8. 2011 094-1_1.jpg
plus getting up-close to this Ringlet for this photo.

Seeing eighteen species of butterfly on one visit is a record for me in this wood, sorry correction, and then it was nineteen, i spotted a butterfly i had`nt seen in this wood in many a year, and one i was really hoping to see today,.........

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Nick - the Painted Lady sequence is great, now you see it now you don't :D The Wood Whites are hanging around, I'm gutted now that all my Brownie points got used up :( Still there's always next year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up on your diary Nick, some great images in the last few posts :D

The dew covered Clouded Yellow sequence is superb.

All the best,

Neil F.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you Wurzel and Neil for your kind comments, as always appreciated. :D :D

Wurzel you don`nt know what you have missed with the wood Whites, but lets hope next year is a good one for these lovely little butterflies and, you get to see them. :D

Neil, the sequence of the dew covered Clouded Yellow photos has probably given me more pleasure than any other photo i`ve taken this year, well, apart from the PE. :D

All the best, Nick.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Very nice shots Nick, I see you're also playing spot the Painted Lady :wink: The Ringlet close-up is great :D

All the best,

Mike

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your kind comments Mike, as always appreciated. :D :D Playing spot the lady, you know how i love to play games. :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

4th August, continued.....

............my 19th species for the day was what i was hoping to see, a Clouded Yellow. It is always so much more satisfying to see such a butterfly on your local patch, rather than having to travel miles to see one, made the day a great one.........
4.8.2013 056-1_1.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shot again Nick :mrgreen: I tried getting close to a Clouded Yellow or three on Monday but they were remarkably skittish - how go you manage it?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thank you for your very kind comment again Wurzel, really appreciated. :D :D As for your question, how do i get so close to the butterfly, i got up very early to get the photo of the dew covered Clouded Yellow and found it before it was warm enough for the butterfly to fly, the second one was just luck. I have tried on a few other occasions to photograph them in hot weather and failed. They land on a flower to nectar,you approach with caution, and then you go to press the shutter down and, there gone, and they do this relentlessly totally frustrating you, :evil: well thats the polite way of putting it, i can think of a few other ways of putting it. :roll: :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Up date on the Comma larva. Now reaching the stage of 2nd instar,the body hairs of the newly emerged larva having been replaced by black and white spikes
Comma larva 005-1_2.jpg
it regularly feeds for a few minutes at a time throughout the day,
Comma larva 010-1_1.jpg
before it curls-up for a quick siesta.....oh for an easy life.........i wish... :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”