Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

ChrisC wrote:hope you made a wish :)
they have been going for over a week, best night I had was last Saturday with some quite spectacular ones.

Chris
I did make a wish :)

If it doesn't come true then I'll know I was wishing on the international space station. :lol:

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks to Colin Knight for his suggestion that I try Kithurst Hill today for Clouded Yellows, and then finding a Clouded Yellow on Kithurst Hill! :D This was species 43 for me and completes my butterfly challenge. I have not seen a clouded yellow at close range before and they really are handsome little critters. I think from the photos I have taken there were three separate individuals there and not the two I originally thought.

The other star of the day were the small tortoiseshells which were hanging around in veritable gangs and beautifully fresh and well marked. Also seen, brown argus, chalkhill blue, painted lady, large and small whites, speckled wood, wall, peacock small heath and meadow brown.
1148960_10151840755711972_2065237273_n.jpg
1185728_10151840737336972_845940290_n.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Lovely photos Susie, especially the Clouded Yellow, beautiful. :D :D

All the best, Nick.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Nick, that is really nice of you to say. :)

millerd

Post by millerd »

I love the Clouded Yellow, Susie. The pink of the flowers matches the subtle pink on the butterfly and sets off the yellow so well. That would make a beautiful card. :)

Dave

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you, Dave :)

They are very pretty little butterflies. I can't wait to see more! :)

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Suzie, lovely Clouded yellow shot. I have to say that if Billy is a 'bundle of trouble' only between 6-8pm then you're clearly doing something right. He is still very young and is obviously a very good pup.

Susie

Post by Susie »

We did a car boot sale in Pease pottage this morning and late morning what did I spy flying across the field? It was a brown hairstreak!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Today was a pretty special day for butterflies despite my putting in no effort to see them as the day was taken up with chores and family things. The first one I saw out of the kitchen window this morning was a beautiful painted lady on the honeycomb buddleia. There were also plenty of peacocks, small torts, large and small whites and the odd comma around.

Late morning I took the woofer for a walk to our local spot and across the field I spotted a clouded yellow, before I was able to get close it flew over the hedge and away. Flying around the oak, ask and blackthorn trees though there was a purple hairstreak and brown hairstreak which made up for the loss. :)

When I got home from the dog walk I was hanging out some washing and watching the butterflies flying around, including a couple of holly blues, when a silver washed fritillary came gliding in. This well worn lady was acting pretty strangely and didn't seem particularly interested in the flowers unlike the other butterflies. I didn't understand her behaviour at the time, but thanks to this website I read the following section of the page relating to silver washed fritillaries and it all made sense "Egg-laying females can be seen flying over the woodland floor searching out the larval foodplant, Common Dog-violet. They will sometimes alight on the woodland floor and crawl among the vegetation to determine the suitability of the site. If a suitable location is found, then the female flies to a nearby tree trunk and lays a single egg in a chink on the tree bark and several eggs may be laid on the same tree. These are typically laid on the moss-covered north-facing side of the tree and between 1 and 2 metres from the ground. It is believed that such a location provides a suitable “microclimate” for the overwintering larva."

She was sitting on various shrubs and then flying down to the ground and disappearing into the undergrowth. At one point she sat on the fence panels for a while. I thought this odd as she did look like she was wanting to lay but as I knew the larval food plant is dog violet I didn't understand why she was on other things. I went to get my camera and I got a short clip of her sitting on the ivy. I was quite concerned at the time as I thought she was caught in a spider's web and was going to extricate her but as I got closer she flew off so obviously wasn't trapped. If you put the clip on wide screen and look at the abdomen I think she is considering laying an egg. :D

I had promised to take my daughters shopping so I had to leave the excitement in the garden but by late afternoon I was home again and hanging out more washing. Something else caught my eye as it flew into the garden. I thought it was a common blue or brown hairstreak initially but on closer inspection it turned out to be a female purple hairstreak and she really tucked into the hemp agrimony and didn't seem to be bothered much by my being there.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Silver washed fritillary https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 7537065957

Tomorrow I need to go looking for eggs!

Purple hairstreak https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 8906837818
543403_10151852076541972_129341733_n.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

I was just trying to count how many small torts were on the white buddleia when one was attacked by s hornet. They tumbled into the fleabane beneath and the hornet stung the butterfly several times before tearing off the wings, eating part and flying off with the rest. Fascinating to watch :)

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Susie wrote:Fascinating to watch
You should have taken your knitting along :lol:

Susie

Post by Susie »

Get your knitting out.

Tiny bit of footage here of the hornet. About three stitches worth. :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... 1626545704

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm not a fan of snuff movies :)

Mike

Susie

Post by Susie »

Autumn may have arrived with a vengeance last Friday but a walk round petworth park on Tuesday afternoon still turned up good numbers of fresh small heath despite the overcast conditions. The deer were looking marvellous too :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

Still whites inthe garden and s speckled wood flew over this afternoon which I think is a first for this garden.

Susie

Post by Susie »

I haven't posted for ages so I thought it time for an update. I'll skip over Kingsdown Leas as that was a bit of a fail :lol: Unfortunately there hasn't been anything interesting relating to butterflies to report. I'm still seeing the odd one around (had small tort, comma, and whites in the garden this week) but on the days when I get a chance to go out the weather has been unsuitable.

As I am now thoroughly disgusted with butterflying and think it a silly thing to do I've gone for what is easy! What we do seem to be having a very good year for is fungi and I'm seeing some very good examples when out at the moment. :wink:
Last edited by Susie on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Fungi1.jpg
Fungi6.jpg
Fungi7.jpg
Fungi5.jpg
Fungi4.jpg
Fungi3.jpg
Fungi2.jpg

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wow Susie, they are great examples of Fungi, we don't have a variety as good as that in my local area so I'm enjoying your photos :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lovely pictures, Susie! The penny bun makes me feel quite hungry ...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”