Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Susie

Post by essexbuzzard »

Cracking set of Chalkhill Blue images at Denbies,Susie! Particularly like the first one.

I was there today,and had the pleasure of witnessing the staggering numbers of Chalkhills,a sight that will live long in the memory. :D Tens of thousands at least.Also a couple of Silver-spotted Skippers.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you! :)

This morning I met up with Pete Eeles at Denbies. I had such a lovely morning and the chalkhill blue explosion continues. I am very grateful to him for pointing out many chalkhill blue abs as well as silver spotted skippers and brown argus.

Numbers of chalkhill blue seemed down a bit on Saturday but that could be just because it wasn't anywhere near as windy. The butterflies are starting to look worn now but there are still good numbers of fresh ones around. It is still an amazing spectacle and really gladdens the heart. :D

I saw several spiders today include a wasp spider with a veritable chalkhill blue grave yard of a web going on and crab spiders with butterflies in their grasp including one crab spider dragging a chalkhill blue along the path. The chalkhill blue was fighting back and trying to crawl in the opposite direction. Normally I don't intervene but I couldn't resist splitting this pair up.

Here's a picture of one that wasn't (or was, depending on your view) so lucky.
537174_10151824950881972_1520375865_n.jpg
I found it really hard to leave the site but I had promised my girls I'd taken them shopping so had to tear myself away. Walking back up the slope I met Matthew Oates with a Channel Four news team in tow and then Patrick Barkham. I'm looking forward to reading his next book (even if it is about badgers! :) ).

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

How did I miss that? :shock: :mrgreen: Probably too absorbed with the abs! Great photo Sooz!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

Understandable, Pete :D

So, butterfly challenge to date .. life begins!

1. Red Admiral
2. Brimstone
3. Peacock
4. Small Tortoiseshell
5. Small White
6. Orange Tip
7. Comma
8. Holly blue
9. Large white
10. Green veined white
11. Green hairstreak
12. Speckled wood
13. Pearl Bordered Fritillary
14. Duke of Burgundy
15. Dingy Skipper
16. Small Heath
17. Small Blue
18. Common Blue
19. Small Copper
20. Grizzled Skipper
21. Adonis Blue
22. Silver Studded Blue
23. Meadow Brown
24. Painted Lady
25. Large Skipper
26. Ringlet
27. Silver Washed Fritillary
28. White Admiral
29. Purple Emperor
30. Small Skipper
31. Marbled White
32. Dark Green Fritillary
33. Chalkhill Blue
34. Gatekeeper
35. Essex Skipper
36. Purple hairstreak
37. Wood white
38. Brown hairstreak
39. Brown argus
40. Silver spotted skipper

Three to go ....

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot of the Chalkhills Susie :D Good luck with the last three :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Wurzel! :D

When I was at Denbies on Saturday, because it was too windy to easily take photos I took some short clips of video. When I was back there earlier in the week with Pete I had the idea of putting some of the clips together as a short video. I didn't take the clips with the intention of putting them together so they're a bit wonky but Denbies shines through anyway with the butterflies as the stars of the show. In the cold dark winter months I'm going to look at this to keep me going. I hope you enjoy it too.

If you put it on wide screen and look carefully you may even spot an ab or two! :)

http://youtu.be/jx-a3caUfTo

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Wow, Susie, that video is unbelievable. I have never seen so many butterflies in one place. I do feel a little sorry for that female towards the end of the video though. I will definitely have to make a pilgrimage down south next year to see some of the butterflies that occur there. Yesterday I was delighted to see my 21st species for East Lothian. Half of the butterflies on your list would be lifers for me. I wonder when the best time of year is to see the most species. I will have to see if I can persuade my family that we should go on a long weekend to southern England, but as they aren't interested in butterflies I will have to come up with a cunning plan!! :D
Thanks for sharing your video.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Nick. Gosh, I don't know when would be best to come down to this part of the world as it really depends on what you want to see. There are an awful lot of butterflies on the wing at the moment though. I don't think it would be hard to encourage the family though, to have a holiday down here; shopping, theatres, museums, sport - what ever takes their fancy.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

excellent Susie. bought back great memories of Denbies.

Chris

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Susie

Don't seem to manage to comment on your diary much but I do enjoy reading and your Chalkhill abs were great. Pity I can't get to denbies more often. Now, just have to ask (might have missed it earlier) but what is the name of that gorgeous pup of yours?

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Very good Susie! You've reminded me that video footage is something the website needs to support better (e.g. like the photo albums). Will look into it!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

Pauline wrote:Hi Susie

Don't seem to manage to comment on your diary much but I do enjoy reading and your Chalkhill abs were great. Pity I can't get to denbies more often. Now, just have to ask (might have missed it earlier) but what is the name of that gorgeous pup of yours?
Hi Pauline, the pup is called Billy. He's nearly six months now and is lovely (,apart from between six and eight pm when he turns into a real bundle of trouble - is that usual!).

Like wise I don't comment on your diary but always enjoy reading and looking at your photos.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Pete Eeles wrote:Very good Susie! You've reminded me that video footage is something the website needs to support better (e.g. like the photo albums). Will look into it!

Cheers,

- Pete
Good idea! :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

Took the dog to Cissbury Ring late this afternoon in the hope of seeing either wall or clouded yellow. I didn't see any clouded yellows but I did see wall, painted lady, small coppers, chalkhill blues, common blues, meadow browns and gatekeepers. There are some very worn dark green fritillaries around too.
D1.jpg
D2.jpg
D3.jpg
1. Red Admiral
2. Brimstone
3. Peacock
4. Small Tortoiseshell
5. Small White
6. Orange Tip
7. Comma
8. Holly blue
9. Large white
10. Green veined white
11. Green hairstreak
12. Speckled wood
14. Duke of Burgundy
15. Dingy Skipper
16. Small Heath
17. Small Blue
18. Common Blue
19. Small Copper
20. Grizzled Skipper
21. Adonis Blue
22. Silver Studded Blue
23. Meadow Brown
24. Painted Lady
25. Large Skipper
26. Ringlet
28. White Admiral
29. Purple Emperor
30. Small Skipper
31. Marbled White
33. Chalkhill Blue
34. Gatekeeper
35. Essex Skipper
36. Purple hairstreak
37. Wood white
38. Brown hairstreak
39. Brown argus
41. Wall
Last edited by Susie on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Only two to go now then - excellent news :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks Wurzel :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

I took the kids to Windover Hill in East Sussex looking for Grayling. It's a bit of a trek to the top but I had read that it was the top of the hill on gravelly ground where the Grayling could be found. There were loads of chalkhill blues around, as well as common blue, silver spotted skippers, meadow browns, gatekeepers, small whites and some marbled whites which were in good nick. I assume the butterflies emerge later here than at Denbies. After looking everywhere that seemed suitable without luck we headed back down a different path and there it was, sitting in front of us. :D We only saw the one but that was enough. It was very windy so not really suitable for butterfly photography but at least this little chap was sitting on something that wasn't being blown around in the wind! A life tick for me as well as number 42 on the list.
1148770_10151835122016972_1329425451_n.jpg
1. Red Admiral
2. Brimstone
3. Peacock
4. Small Tortoiseshell
5. Small White
6. Orange Tip
7. Comma
8. Holly blue
9. Large white
10. Green veined white
11. Green hairstreak
12. Speckled wood
14. Duke of Burgundy
15. Dingy Skipper
16. Small Heath
17. Small Blue
18. Common Blue
19. Small Copper
20. Grizzled Skipper
21. Adonis Blue
22. Silver Studded Blue
23. Meadow Brown
24. Painted Lady
25. Large Skipper
26. Ringlet
28. White Admiral
29. Purple Emperor
30. Small Skipper
31. Marbled White
33. Chalkhill Blue
34. Gatekeeper
35. Essex Skipper
36. Purple hairstreak
37. Wood white
38. Brown hairstreak
39. Brown argus
41. Wall
42. Grayling

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

well done Susie. a lifer too. Brilliant!

Susie

Post by Susie »

I meant to mention, I saw a couple of meteors last night. They should be visible again tonight.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

hope you made a wish :)
they have been going for over a week, best night I had was last Saturday with some quite spectacular ones.

Chris

Return to “Personal Diaries”