Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: nfreem

Post by essexbuzzard »

Glad you enjoyed Aston Rowant,Neil-a truely great place,the sheer abundance of butterflies there is legendary in some years! :D

I'm going there this week...

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a great photo of a Red Kite Neil. I haven't seen many so they are very much a novelty to me still and beautiful birds anyway. Naturally, I looked at your camera settings to see how you had managed to get such a fantastic shot, as I am not very good at bird photography. Well done.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks eb,

I reckon that Aston Rowant is the nearest place I can get to that has the abundance of butterflies that I see reported from some of the downland sites further south, a cracking place and after a while I even blank out the sound of the M40 :wink: :D

I hope you have a good visit this week.

Hi Pauline, thanks for the comment on the Kite photo, it was pretty much a snap shot as it banked :D

The photo is cropped a bit to remove some empty sky to the right and improve the balance of the picture but apart from a resize to post on here that is about it.
I don't have Photoshop, just use a free download called PhotoScape for any post processing which other than cropping and re-sizing is usually limited to maybe a bit of brightening or darkening at most. I have found that I usually make my photos worse if I fiddle with them too much :lol: Oh yes, I shoot in jpeg as well.

I usually take my photos on the 'P' setting on the dial, I have max ISO set at 400 to try and keep noise levels to a minimum. Other than that, the only other setting that I fiddle with is exposure, usually going from 0 to -1 depending on the light and subject. For instance I would probably use -1 for a Large White on a bright day and -1/3 for a Peacock.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote:You may find those Painted Ladies have got there first! One of the only two I saw in 2011 was up at Arnside...

I may be there on Wednesday around lunchtime on a detour during a voyage up to York - keeping an eye on the forecast. Watch out for ticks - really troublesome on that last visit.

Dave
Well anticipated Dave, a Painted Lady up at Arnside today........and a Clouded Yellow :D :D :D

Already taken loads of photos and not going home until Thursday, weather looking good for tomorrow :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Really pleased you're having such success up there Neil and a Clouded Yellow is fantastic news. Just wanted to say thank you for being so open and generous with your camera information which has all been noted :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to the shots :( :mrgreen: No I am really :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks for the comments Pauline, I really appreciate them :D,

and yours Wurzel.....I think :wink: :lol:

Monday 5th – Thursday 8th August, part 1.

We returned home today from a fantastic few days at Arnside with over 1200 photos to sort through so I think I will be updating this diary in instalments over the next few days as I have time.

Last year I went up to Arnside for a couple of days, primarily to see Scotch Argus which up until then was a species I had never seen. I saw plenty then but it turned out to be at the beginning of their flight season and when I got home I realised that every photo I had taken was of a male and I don’t remember actually seeing a female.

On Monday we made our way back up the M6, driving through some horrendous rain :shock: , on our way to spend three nights in the same wonderful B&B, at the foot of the lane leading up to Arnside Knott that we stayed at last year :D.

Calendar wise this was a few days later than last year and I was hoping to photograph some female Scotch Argus, although given the way this year has been so far, I realised that this was taking a bit of a flyer.

On our arrival our hosts told us that they had just ‘enjoyed’ thirty-six hours of incessant rain although it was clearing and the forecast looked good for the next few days.

After settling in, at around 5.00pm, the rain had stopped and it was cloudy but warm so I decided to take a walk up to the Knott to stretch my legs after the journey.
Walking up to one of the areas that I knew to be good for Scotch Argus I was pleased to find a good number flying despite the cloud cover. I soon found a mating pair and was quite amused by the way that the female was dragging the male through the wet grass, possibly to try and find a dry spot to rest up.
Scotch Argus pair - Arnside Knott 05.08.2013
Soon after with the sun getting lower everything went quiet so I made my way back to get ready to go out for a meal.
Arnside Knott - 05.08.2013
Arnside Knott - 05.08.2013
The next morning was dry and warm with some high overcast so after breakfast I decided to go back up the Knott to take some more Scotch Argus photos. I remembered from last year how difficult it could be to get the exposure right with their dark wings if the light was too bright and so wanted to try while the light was softer.

It soon became apparent that were hundreds of Scotch Argus about and as I wandered through the grassy slopes which are the best spots, more and more took to the wing.
A lot of the males were looking very tired and tatty, not surprising I suppose if they had been out in 36 hours of solid rain, but there were also some fresher looking ones about.
The good, the bad and the ugly.....
The good, the bad and the ugly.....
Scotch Argus male - Arnside Knott 06.08.2013
I also soon found some nice looking females but there were so many males flying that often, as soon as I got a shot lined up on a female, a male would dive in and accost her. Sometimes this resulted in a pairing, sometimes not. Whatever the result it meant that I had to look for another basking female (hmmm…that sounds familiar :wink:)
Scotch Argus pair - Arnside Knott 06.08.2013
Scotch Argus pair - Arnside Knott 06.08.2013
In fact the males seemed to be chasing each other almost as much as the females....
Scotch Argus males - Arnside Knott 06.08.2013
Scotch Argus males - Arnside Knott 06.08.2013
In the end I managed to get some shots of females that I was happy with…..
Scotch Argus female - Arnside Knott 06.08.2013
After a couple of hours I went back to meet Jane. I had only just started the first full day here and I had achieved one of my main targets, things were looking good :D......

Bye for now,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Neil :D I'm going to have to stop reading your PD as my envy is debilitating :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sorry Wurzel :oops:

To be honest, there is loads that I am envious of myself, including your Silver-studded Blues and Marsh Frits to name just a couple off the top of my head. I totally missed SSBs this year, Prees Heath being the nearest site to me, I just didn't get chance to go and the Marsh Frits that I saw in Devon were my first ever.

I think that my main advantage is that living in the midlands I can head in any direction, of course having grown up kids means that I can do trips of a few days such as this one to Arnside :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Nice work, Neil.

It's been some years since I last visited Arnside but I now feel a visit pending for 2014 ...

Keep up the good work

Kindest regards. Mark

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mark, it really is a special place :D

Monday 5th – Thursday 8th August, part 2.

Later on Tuesday afternoon I returned to the Knott, this time to look for Dark Green and High Brown Fritillaries.
I had already seen some earlier that morning and taken some photos of a couple of very tatty Dark Greens and also got some ropey record shots of a couple of definite High Browns. This time I circled round through the lower meadows and woods and up towards the Knott seeing a number of both HBFs and DGFs, most of which were looking well past their best if not downright tatty.
I then took the path leading down towards Heathwaite and in the meadows alongside I found a couple of each of DGFs and HBFs in more reasonable condition, all females, busy nectaring on knapweed and quite approachable.
High Brown Fritillary - Arnside 06.08.2013
High Brown Fritillary - Arnside 06.08.2013
Dark Green Fritillary - Arnside 06.08.2013
I was particularly taken by this female DGF which had particularly dark markings.....
The next day (Wednesday) I walked up the Knott again a couple more times and in the afternoon I did a similar circuit to Tuesday afternoon and was interested to find the same individual Fritillaries still here albeit in slightly different parts of the meadows.
In fact due to variations in markings and wear I recognised a few Fritillaries around different parts of the Knott area at different times over the two days. This is one reason why I am wary of stating numbers as I could well be double (or more) counting the same individuals.
Also some of them had wings that were so worn and tatty that it was impossible to be sure which species they were, although I believe that the worst examples were male DGFS. On the other hand a couple of female DGFs whilst not absolutely fresh still looked quite nice.
Dark Green Fritillary - Arnside 07.08.2013
High Brown Fritillary - Arnside 07.08.2013

Also on Wednesday afternoon I was approached by a friendly chap who turned out to be none other than UKBs Dave(millerd) who it was great to meet up with and to put a face to the name. Apparently it was my accent that gave away who I was :wink: :lol:

I had better stop there as this is turning into a long post. Just to say that on the Tuesday I saw a Clouded Yellow and a Painted Lady :D

Guess what will be in the next update.....

Bye for now,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I was going to say the Scotch Argus are great Neil and then you go and post that fantastic HBF with wings closed and the way the light just bounces off it is fantastic. You're posting some great shots which you must be very, very pleased with.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with Pauline great shots Neil :mrgreen: See I kept reading I must be a glutton for punishment :roll: :lol: That DGF does look different to the norm and your underside HBFS is lush :mrgreen: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I totally agree Neil, lovely photos. Another worth while break away from it all, i especially like the first photo of the copulating Scotch Argus, :D a butterfly i`m yet to see.

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks all for the great comments, really appreciated :D

I am lucky in that I can do a couple of these 2/3 night breaks a year which give me a chance to really appreciate some fantastic locations :D

Monday 5th – Thursday 8th August, part 3.

On the Tuesday afternoon, as described above, I had wandered down from the Knott along the path towards Heathwaite. In a large meadow area just before you get to some farm fields there was a large patch of wildflowers, mostly knapweed that was covered with Large and Small Whites and also a good number of fresh looking Common Blue.

As my eyes scanned the flowers looking for a Large White in a classic side on pose my eyes fell on one and I thought ‘that one looks a bit different, hang on that’s not a Large White’

It was a Clouded Yellow happily nectaring in amongst all the whites :D . It actually stood out like a sore thumb, it was just that I was not expecting to see one here. I had even commented on the fact that I was heading north just when Clouded Yellow and Painted Lady sightings were increasing down south and Dave(millerd) had said that I may get lucky.

I believe it was a female from the glimpses of topside I had and the yellow spots in the dark margins that show through on the underside views. She stayed around this patch of flowers for well over half an hour whilst I watched her flit from flower to flower and I took numerous photos.
Clouded Yellow - Arnside 06.08.2013
This was the first Clouded Yellow that I had ever taken photos of, I saw a couple in Dorset last year, the first for many years, but they were flypasts.

Eventually she decided to move on and flew over the hedge at the side of the field. After the Scotch Argus in the morning and then the Fritillaries that I had already seen she had made a perfect end to the day so I started to make my way back up the path.

I had not gone far when I spotted a Painted Lady. I managed a couple of shots before she was disturbed by a dog walker :roll: but I was in too much of a good mood to let that bother me too much.
Painted Lady - Arnside 06.08.2013
The following morning (Wednesday), after breakfast, I went for another walk and headed straight down to where I had seen the Clouded Yellow on the off chance that she was still around. As I approached the same patch of flowers, I could see her from a distance standing out amongst all the whites that were there again.
Clouded Yellow - Arnside 07.08.2013
Clouded Yellow - Arnside 07.08.2013
This time she was far more flighty and after ten minutes or so she took off up the hill and over the woods heading north. I reckon that after stopping here overnight I had just caught her having breakfast before continuing on her way :D .

As well as all the goodies so far one of my other targets was Grayling, particularly a half decent photo of one which I had not managed on my visit last year......

Bye for now,

Neil.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neill, We were up on the Knot on the 6th of August as well.
Your photo's are really good much better than mine :mrgreen:
It was very cloudy that day until later but I was determined to find a Scotch Argus as I'd never seen one, My problem was climbing up the knot :lol: ( not as young as I used to be) :D
You make me very envious of your Clouded Yellow it's lovely and we tried on the day looking for High Brown without any luck so I'm green again :mrgreen: :D Looks like I'll have to wait while next year now :(
We're off to Kent next week , so you never know maybe I'll see a C Y there. Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie, thank you for your comments :D

I was glad of the cloud on the Tuesday morning, taking photos of Scotch Argus in bright light can be tricky because of the dark velvety texture to the wings.

Some of those paths up to the top of the knott are a bit tough on the legs, mine are not getting any younger either :wink:

Most of the photos of the Fritillaries posted above were taken by the path down towards Heathwaite rather than up on the top of the Knott. I did see some up there but those tended to be more raggedy examples.

I may well have spoken to you without realising it on Tuesday, I was up on the Knott from about 09.30am for a couple of hours and again from about 3.00pm and talked to quite a few people in my wanderings. I was probably wearing a blue baseball type hat.

Good luck in Kent, that is one part of the world I have not visited in some years.

All the best,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report and shots Neil :mrgreen: Reading them is making me plot how I can convince my wife that we "really should visit Cumbria and up round that way" - I doubt she'll buy it :( :roll:

Hsve a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Neil, you certainly got some brilliant photos during your visit to the 'Knott', great report too. Maybe I'll get up there next year!

All the best,

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your comments Wurzel and Mike :D

It is a fantastic place, I really believe you need a couple of days there to appreciate it fully.

Monday 5th – Thursday 8th August, part 4.

I was also keen to see Grayling at Arnside, having seen a few on my last visit but failing to get a reasonable photo of one.
They were easy to find on the scree covered slopes on the sides of the knott, often nectaring on flowers in the company of Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers or Scotch Argus....
Grayling and Scotch Argus - Arnside 07.08.2013
Grayling and Scotch Argus - Arnside 07.08.2013
…. or doing their usual thing of playing hide-and-seek on the stony paths such as this one later on the Wednesday afternoon.
Grayling - Arnside 07.08.2013
Finding a good condition example in a more photogenic position however was a bit more of a challenge. After a bit of searching I found a reasonable condition individual on some Ragwort that enabled me to take a few photos that I was happy with.

In my previous post I briefly mentioned that there were a good number of Common Blues in the area where I saw the Clouded Yellow. In fact they were present in the meadows all along the path towards Heathwaite in greater numbers than I had seen anywhere so far this year. There were plenty of males and a good number of fresh looking females, some of which were very brown.
Common Blue - Arnside 07.08.2013
A few of the females were also very small as well as being very brown and initially I thought that I had found some late Northern Brown Argus which they looked like in flight. It was not until I looked closer at them and saw the scattering of blue scales that I realised they were actually dinky little half sized female Common Blues.
On the Tuesday I also saw a couple of fresh Peacocks and noticed that there were far more on Wednesday. Also Brimstones of which I saw none on Tuesday and then well over a dozen around the knott on Wednesday, particularly on the knapweed in the meadows by the Heathwaite path. Also a single fresh Small Copper on the Wednesday.

Bye for now.

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”