Graylings at Chobham Common, Surrey

Discussion forum for sightings.
FlyByWire

Post by FlyByWire »

I stopped at Chobham Common on the way home in the afternoon. Saw my first ever Graylings. Thanks for the tip-off Jack!

The changing weather (frequent cloudshadow) meant they settled down more easily and were not too hard to photograph. (In the sunshine they were indeed hard to get near once they started moving again.)

http://piccies.flybywire.org.uk/Butterf ... yling1.jpg
http://piccies.flybywire.org.uk/Butterf ... ling2a.jpg
http://piccies.flybywire.org.uk/Butterf ... ling2b.jpg

Last 2 were of same butterfly. 7-8 seen overall. Also saw Large Skipper, Small(Essex?) Skipper, Meadow Brown (one with those red mites attached), Gatekeeper and Red Admiral.

Cheers.

-Mike
Last edited by FlyByWire on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
sahikmet

Chobham graylings

Post by sahikmet »

Hi,

Great pictures, could you advise as to location as you know Chobham has many car parks and covers a large area. Getting a bit too old to walk all the way round!!

Cheers

Sezar
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It might be of interest Mike that I had never seen Graylings at Chobham Common nor indeed had I actually heard of them occurring there. The habitat seemed right (we of course had that Silver Studded Blue success last year) so I had simply presumed that Graylings would also occur there. I suppose it was a hunch based on some 60 years of butterflying!

A first for me today, Saturday. Well not a new species, but Small Copper in the garden for the first time. Nectaring on buddliea would you believe.

Jack
FlyByWire

Post by FlyByWire »

I saw them at approx SU972653. Car park was the one by the roundabout to the west-southwest of there. Looking at getamap the hill is called Oystershell Hill, and I saw the majority of them on the northwest slope. I followed the path Eastwards from the carpark, up the hill and then left and down the northwest slope path. Took my pics there.

Well good hunch Jack. ;) It was a beauty.

-Mike
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Thanks, I will try early next week.

Sezar
FlyByWire wrote:I saw them at approx SU972653. Car park was the one by the roundabout to the west-southwest of there. Looking at getamap the hill is called Oystershell Hill, and I saw the majority of them on the northwest slope. I followed the path Eastwards from the carpark, up the hill and then left and down the northwest slope path. Took my pics there.

Well good hunch Jack. ;) It was a beauty.

-Mike
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Hi,

At Chobham today, Oystershell Hill at least 15 Graylings, managed some pictures. Thanks Mike for the info.

Cheers,

Sezar

Last edited by sahikmet on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyByWire

Post by FlyByWire »

Well done! Glad you found them. And nice pics.

-Mike
James Blake

Post by James Blake »

Visited Chobham Common for the first time today and saw two Graylings, one at the Bee Garden and one near Staple Hill at about SU975650. Very few other butterflies about.

James

Return to “Sightings”