Help With Whites

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Lawts

Help With Whites

Post by Lawts »

Please can someone confirm these as Large and Small?

Thanks
915l.jpg
1162l.jpg
Mark Colvin

Re: Help With Whites

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lawts.

Yes. A female Large and a male Small.

Kind regards. Mark
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I find this post interesting.Over the recent years I have hardly seen any large whites,even in my garden where I grow brassicas.In early Spring those reported locally have usually been female Brimstones.This year a few have arrived around my cabbages which are netted to prevent intrusion.Coming over to Denmark this week on a family holiday,Large Whites abound.One realises how beautiful and graceful they are against the small whites.I think pesticide sprays both in the garden and on the fields have a lot to answer for.A new generation of deterrant sprays are required as are now appearing for use in the garden.
P.J.U.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks for the replies. I live in Wetherby, north of Leeds and last weekend when I took these there was an explosion of whites in my garden and surrounding countryside. They were everywhere, and it seemed an even split from what I could tell between Large, Small and Green-veined.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

P.J.Underwood wrote:I find this post interesting.Over the recent years I have hardly seen any large whites,even in my garden where I grow brassicas.
P.J.U. Down the road from you I have the most Whites that I have ever seen. Admittedly the Smalls outnumber the Large but they are all laying on my Horseradish which I normally cut back at this time of year because it flops over the path - it's not being trimmed this year.
David M

Post by David M »

Lawts wrote:Thanks for the replies. I live in Wetherby, north of Leeds and last weekend when I took these there was an explosion of whites in my garden and surrounding countryside. They were everywhere, and it seemed an even split from what I could tell between Large, Small and Green-veined.
Whites seem to have exploded practically everywhere. I've not seen them in such numbers for many years and, as you say, there are healthy numbers of all of them about.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I have to agree, more Whites about over the past few days than I have seen for years. Large, Small and Green-veined in roughly equal numbers overall, varying slightly by locality.

I remember last year making a comment when I managed to photograph all three 'common whites' on the same day. This year it has been easy, I could have done it numerous times in my garden recently.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Identification”