Odd butterfly happenings

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Odd butterfly happenings

Post by Philzoid »

A 2013.07.22 IMG_3876 Small Tortoiseshell, on buddliea at home.jpg
A Small Tortoiseshell on my buddiea bush :o :D OK perhaps not that odd but I haven't seen a small tort in my neck of the woods for 2 - 3 years now let alone on my buddliea. The Buddliea is finally doing what it's supposed to do, bring in the butterflies. The most numerous is the Peacock followed by Small White, Large White and Comma.
In our garden we have two sheds and strangely when I've gone to lock up in the heat of the afternoon I've encountered Peacock both in the small cluttered shed and the larger roomier one. Not a a good place to be as there are tons of spiders webs to trap the unwary insect.
Why would the peacock be going on my shed in the middle of the summer in the, middle of the afternoon well before roosting :? Is it simply because they are looking for a shady spot?
Peacock waiting for me to clear off so he can go back in the shed
Peacock waiting for me to clear off so he can go back in the shed
This behaviour carried on a day later when coming home from town with my daughters we found a Meadow Brown in our front door porch :shock: . Despite us opening the doors wide it wasn't easy to get the butterfly to leave. It kept flying against the glass between the porch and the hallway, heading for the darker area so to speak. Time was around 05:30.

Following on from that I had this fellow turn up in my Moth Trap.
none th worse for ware after sharing the night with all those 'nasty' moths, wasps, beetles and other creepy crawlies
none th worse for ware after sharing the night with all those 'nasty' moths, wasps, beetles and other creepy crawlies
He was totally unharmed and sat on my finger for his picture before flying off into the dawn. Text books don't say butterflies are attracted to light and the only other occasion I remember such a happening was when Seth Gibson (Gibster) reported Grayling found in the moth traps at Portland Bill Bird observatory some years ago ... where is Seth these days anyway :? .(BTW I am taking part in a national "garden moth challenge" run by a chap called Tristan Reid based in Cumbria. The purpose is to find out who can see and identify the most number of species of moths AND butterflies within their garden boundaries . My count is around 270 (since mid April) and it has me hovering between 12th and 7th in the standings out of 56 entrants. I haven't been submitting my butterfly counts as I'm saving these to play as my joker should I need to gain a place or two :wink: ).

Anyway I digress. Today I went with my daughters to Botany Bay (Chiddingfold) in the vain hope of seeing Purple Emperor. The weather was more overcast and cooler than anticipated from the forecast. Despite this I was soon treated to a dainty little Wood White as it gently fluttered by before landing and taking up its characteristic pose.
Nothing odd about this: just thought I'd put it in
Nothing odd about this: just thought I'd put it in
Moving on my reverie was shattered when my eldest Francesca shouted out to warn me that I was about to step on a butterfly. On the hard track was a Small Skipper lying on its side. No sooner than we saw the skipper my youngest Isabella shouted out she had a butterfly on the ground too. Try as I might I could not see it until Izzy almost poked the Meadow Brown in its eye-spot to show me (only 2 metres separated it from the Skipper).
Small Skipper impersonating the dead
Small Skipper impersonating the dead
Meadow Brown impersonating a Grayling
Meadow Brown impersonating a Grayling
The Skipper then sat up, the sun peeped through the clouds as it was off.
Same Small skipper ready for the off
Same Small skipper ready for the off
I suspect that the butterfly was too cold and was lying on its side as hairstreaks do to absorb any residual heat from the gravel or perhaps the cloudy sky. The Meadow Brown caught out in the open by the cold simply relied on its cryptic colouration until warm enough to take to the wing.

The weather warmed up and the butterflies came out in good numbers :D . Sadly no Emperors but plenty of things happening to make it a worthwhile trip 8) .

Phil
millerd

Re: Odd butterfly happenings

Post by millerd »

Peacocks disappear into hibernation quite early, but July seems to be a bit much. Maybe it was just having a look round in advance. :)

Dave
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Philzoid,

I have also observed this behavour of butterflies seeking shelter in out-buildings in this heat, and believe they are doing this because its cooler within the sheds etc.

All the best, Nick.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Philzoid wrote: Following on from that I had this fellow turn up in my Moth Trap.
C 2013.07.25 P1140364 Small White Butterfly.jpg
He was totally unharmed and sat on my finger for his picture before flying off into the dawn. Text books don't say butterflies are attracted to light and the only other occasion I remember such a happening was when Seth Gibson (Gibster) reported Grayling found in the moth traps at Portland Bill Bird observatory some years ago ...
strangely enough I had a Large White come to my trap tonight - actually watched it fly in ~11pm.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks for your comments guys :)
hideandseek wrote:I have also observed this behavour of butterflies seeking shelter in out-buildings in this heat, and believe they are doing this because its cooler within the sheds etc.
I think the butterfly entering shed to escape the heat of the day Nick, is the likely explanation. I've since noticed how the Peacocks feed mostly from the buddliea flowers exposed to the sun in the early part of the day but move onto the ones which are shaded in the heat of the afternoon. At that point there can be over a dozen butterflies and they are very 'hyper'. Despite their re-fuelling they may be burning up valuable energy reserves :?: . Taking a break in the shade would be one way of slowing this down (I forgot to add that the shed doors were open so no breaking and entering to get in :wink: )
The butterflies at Chiddingfold were at the opposite extreme, showing what what happens when they get caught out in the open when the temperature is too low and doing what is needed to warm up whilst at the same time trying to avoid being noticed.
ScottD wrote:strangely enough I had a Large White come to my trap tonight - actually watched it fly in ~11pm.
It is strange how insects become attracted to light :? . Although butterflies fly by day and roost up for the night, when the weather is as sufficiently warm as we've been having recently, then seems no reason why they shouldn't be able to take to the wing. Light presumably is a focal point for their navigation. I've not researched this but I've heard that night-flying moths use the moon to navigate (so what do they do on moonless nights which coincidently are the best nights for trapping :? ). The light supposedly represents the moon and the insects home in on it. When you saw the Large White go into your trap Scott, did it enter in the way moths do like they are caught by a 'tractor beam' and are pulled in on a spiralling path, or was the approach flight 'normal' :?:

PS it's good to know there are fellow moth-ers amongst our ranks :D .

Phil
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Few years ago while moth trapping at the Nagshead Reserve in the Forest of Dean I had three different species come to light over two sessions; Green-veined White, Small Tortoiseshell and a Red Admiral that actually went into the trap with the assorted moths and other insects, during this particular (RA) trapping session I/we also had to carefully remove more than one Hornet that had decided to use the visitor centre for their home that we were also using as our base...a session not to be forgotten :wink:

This wonderful July has certainly caused some strange behavior Phil, your own observations are similar to mine, my wife and I have rescued several butterflies from both greenhouse and shed where the doors have been open most of the time, I'm certain many others among us have similar stories to tell.

Regards,

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Willrow wrote: Green-veined White, Small Tortoiseshell and a Red Admiral that actually went into the trap
That's quite a bag you got there Bill :o . It looks like this happens more often than I thought.
Willrow wrote:I/we also had to carefully remove more than one Hornet that had decided to use the visitor centre for their home that we were also using as our base...a session not to be forgotten
One of the great things about moth trapping is the anticipation of not knowing what you're going to get when you open your 'bag of goodies' :D :!: . Hornets are one of the down sides to this of course (although I haven't had any yet this year despite getting quite a few last year as well as a median wasp). Their large size blundering flight and loud buzzing is disconcerting :shock: and though people and text books will tell you they are not agressive, handling them is not something I'm prepared to put to the test :oops: .
One thing I do to deal with them is to net them and release at distance (not easy with an 'angry' hornet), but they quite often just fly straight back to the trap :roll: :( . The 'commotion' they (and you swinging a net) create, unsettles the slumbering moths too :cry: . I've got my fingers crossed for a hornet free season :) .

Phil
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Philzoid wrote:When you saw the Large White go into your trap Scott, did it enter in the way moths do like they are caught by a 'tractor beam' and are pulled in on a spiralling path, or was the approach flight 'normal' :?:
l
It actually landed just above & beside the (Robinson) trap rather than going into the belly of the beast but it flew straight towards it.
I've also had several wasps, a Common Carder Bumblebee & a rather nice lacewing all within the last week.

Return to “General”