Human or natural reasons for Siver Washed Fritillary in Linc

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Hugh Middleton

Human or natural reasons for Siver Washed Fritillary in Linc

Post by Hugh Middleton »

I realise this cannot be proved either way but am interested in your views of the possibility of Silver Washed Fritillaries colonising Lincolnshire.

One was seen at Chambers today and another not too far away,
Recently I saw one in a nearby Limewood. Saw one in the same wood last year. Now I discover that someone released pupae there earlier that year. However the year before(2011) I saw and photographed one in the same wood.

This area gets a fair number of species introduced by human means such as the now well established colony of Marsh Fritillaries at Chambers. In recent years there has been Black Hairstreak and even Scotch Argus!

In the past three years only once have two SW Frits been seen at the same time = all the other sightings have been singles.

It seems highly likely that these have appeared by human means but I am interested in the odds that they may have appeared naturally?

Many thanks

Hugh
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Human or natural reasons for Siver Washed Fritillary in

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hugh Middleton wrote:It seems highly likely that these have appeared by human means but I am interested in the odds that they may have appeared naturally?
For Silver-washed Fritillary, the only answer is "you'll never know" :( And this is why dumping livestock in areas where a species may already be present does nothing to help - since it can lead to misleading information and undermine any attempts at helping species in trouble.

As for the other species, Marsh Fritillary, Black Hairstreak and Scotch Argus are 100% introductions.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “General”