Botany Bay

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
P.J.Underwood

Re: Botany Bay

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Excellent,just as I am off to see what I can find on the island of Falster,Southern Denmark.
P.J.U.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

A Clouded Yellow.-It was very pleasant today returning to the wood after a month's absence and having it all to myself.At times butterflies were coming from all angles-the season was certainly finishing much stronger than the meagre beginning.The Wood Whites are still going,I saw about a dozen.There were also many Large and Small Whites,a few Green Veined Whites,male and female Brimstones,Gatekeepers,Meadow Browns,many small Speckled Woods,Peacocks,two Red Admirals,a tortoiseshell,a Comma,a few old Silver Washed Fritillaries and a Common Blue.Then to crown it all a Clouded Yellow appeared.I had never seen one in Surrey before,I thought they belonged to the coast.But there it was,some 30 miles inland.
Attachments
Clouded Yellow-a surprise.
Clouded Yellow-a surprise.
Wood White-still going strong
Wood White-still going strong
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Today,in the morning sun I saw my first butterfly of the year-a male brimstone -on Hambledon Common.This decided me to pop along to Botany Bay and see what was on offer.I found eleven male brimstones,one female brimstone,and a Comma.Thus my season has begun.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Male Brimstone
Male Brimstone
Comma
Comma
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Dog owners, flutterby hunters and pedestrians beware of Botany Bay. The tick numbers are the highest that I have heard of. A neigbour's light coloured dog had 38 on his coat whilst a black dog was still having ticks removed three days later.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

The time is here.A week ago ,at the end of the first brood Wood Whites,butterflies of any type were scarce.Now all is different.Ringlets everywhere,followed by Speckled Wood's,Meadow Brown's small skippers, the occasional Red admiral and White admiral,Comma,Silver Washed fritillary,and today,for me,the prize.My first Purple Emperors.I met Paul Day at the Triangle,and he said two were seen yesterday and he had already seen three.I saw two within half an hour.The week is just beginning!
P.J.U.
Attachments
Purple Emperor
Purple Emperor
Poplar Admiral for comparison-taken at Farm latour
Poplar Admiral for comparison-taken at Farm latour
Purple Emperor showing the purple.
Purple Emperor showing the purple.

Return to “Sites”