millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Wurzel. Yes, you have me sussed - it was an attempt at a Padfieldesque shot... (I suspect we will have the OED on the line any time to confirm a new term has come into the language :) )

I have just peeped at the "Purple Empire" website to discover that while we were sitting under a tree at Ryton on Saturday, one of the local rangers saw a Purple Emperor on the ground within about 500 metres of us... :shock: :(

8th July

It was hot, and became quite breezy. I had enough time to pop down to Denbies, and then after that to Juniper Bottom, near Box Hill. Absolutely nothing was standing still: I gave up trying to take pictures almost completely and just watched the various species flying. In fact, the roster for both sites was exactly the same, taking in Large Skippers, Small Tortoiseshells, Ringlets, Small Heaths, Marbled Whites, Speckled Woods, Brimstones, Meadow Browns and Dark Green Fritillaries. And at each site, a single Red Admiral put in an appearance. The Dark Green Frits were particularly energetic, tearing about and getting particularly excited when they encountered each other or a Small Tortoiseshell.

After picking up Elliot from school, we had a short walk locally. Once again, there were a dozen or so Small Tortoiseshells, mostly on or around the doomed nettle field. Elliot told them to try somewhere else, but to no avail, I'm afraid... We also saw Speckled Woods, a selection of Commas and a few Large Skippers. Watching a three-way tussle between one of each of these was most entertaining, with a particularly favoured vantage point occupied in turn for the briefest of moments before one of the others muscled in. One photo that was possible was of a Large Skipper burrowing right into a bindweed flower - where both sustenance and shelter from the sun were on offer. He looked most uncomfortable, but it must have been worth it. Two more Comma undersides - quite beautiful again, with summer camouflage suited to dappled sunlight. Autumn Commas have a much darker colouring designed to resemble dead leaves blown into corners for the winter.

Dave
Attachments
As close as I got to a DGF at Juniper Bottom
As close as I got to a DGF at Juniper Bottom
Large Skipper dines indoors
Large Skipper dines indoors
Comma with the River Colne in the background
Comma with the River Colne in the background
Beautiful colouration
Beautiful colouration

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

9th July

Without a full day to play with, I couldn't stray as far as I would have liked, so I headed off to Strawberry Wood, part of Black Park in Bucks, which is only about 20 minutes away.

Hot and sunny again, and almost nothing was seen flying until I reached the confines of the Wood, a mile from the car park. Immediately, I found a fellow with a similar interest (who I believe may have been UKBer cl-bucks) who was concentrating on a favoured bramble patch. Two White Admirals were paying regular visits to this patch before disappearing off to glide amongst the trees again. I looked around elsewhere, and would estimate a minimum of two, perhaps three more individuals out in the wood. It was a little while before a Silver-washed Fritillary appeared, and there were several false starts as Commas dashed around in orange bursts. However, a SWF did make an appearance, and I believe a second was flying before I left. Interestingly, both these and the White Admirals were largely seeking the shade, even when nectaring, and photography in the chosen dappled conditions was not easy for the likes of me with my simple approach to the subject.

There were many Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Speckled Woods, Large Skippers and the aforementioned Commas. I also saw female Brimstones, a sizeable Large White (which cl-bucks has depicted), a couple of Small Tortoiseshells, and two separate Purple Hairstreaks up in the numerous oak trees hereabouts.

Setting off through the gate into the area where cattle are grazing, the corner nearest the Wood is really a small extension of the wood itself, with small oak and birch trees and low growing brambles - but with quite an open feel as it blended into heathland with gorse. Under the shade of the trees, I watched two White Admirals swoop and glide at low levels: every time they met - which was often - they would chase, each looping over the other in turn before finally spiralling high into the air only to separate, glide off separately and then repeat the whole thing a few minutes later. Very entertaining.

Dave
Attachments
SWF1 090713.JPG
SWF3 090713.JPG
WA1 090713.JPG
WA2 090713.JPG
WA3 090713.JPG
WA4 090713.JPG
WA6 090713.JPG
WA5 090713.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

10th July

With even less time to play with today (and seeing that others are out there with the Emperor made the frustration that little bit stronger), I browsed my local patch in slightly different weather. Fresher, windier, some white fluffy things in the sky - but basically warm and sunny. Meadow Browns have spread out to all parts of the route I take now. Hedges, fields, the river banks - all now have one or two and the open wild areas have a great deal more. Small Tortoiseshells remain numerous, and were matched today by Commas, which in their brilliant orange brown colour at this time of year make up for the lack of any Fritillaries hereabouts. There were still some ageing Large Skippers, a continuing abundance of Small Heaths and now increasing numbers of Green-veined Whites.

Highlights today were a freshly-emerged male Meadow Brown in open-wing pose, and a beautifully lemon-hued new GVW. I was led to the Meadow Brown by another male who seemed intent on getting close up and intimate: I thought I might have a potential mating pair until it was evident that the set-upon individual was another male making his way up a grass stalk. The scent-scales on the forewings were as prominent as I think I have ever seen them, and there is only the merest hint of orange. The underside shots are the same individual.

Dave
Attachments
Comma1 100713.JPG
SH 100713.JPG
GVW2 100713.JPG
MB1 100713.JPG
MB2 100713.JPG
MB3 100713.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports Dave - you've certainly been getting about a bit recently :D Fave shots are the 4th and 5th White Admirals and the brill male Meadow Brown, the androconi stand out a mile :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

11th July

After work today I visited Harmondsworth Moor, primarily to see how the Marbled Whites were doing. It was around 5, but the heat was keeping them largely down in the grass, and they only appeared if disturbed. However, it became apparent that there were reasonable numbers (I counted into double figures) in a relatively small area, but they were outnumbered five to one at least by Meadow Browns. Having reassured myself that the colony was surviving well, I started to look at what else was flying. There were dozens of Small and Essex Skippers (probably a majority of the former, simply because I found them in more places), but both were clearly identified. The Essex were my first of the year. In amongst the myriad of Meadow Browns I then identified a solitary Gatekeeper - again a first for the year. Finally, I also saw several Small Tortoiseshells, and a Comma and a Large Skipper endlessly tussling over the same bit of path. They were there when I arrived, and still battling it out when I left an hour later.
ST 110713.JPG
Essex
Essex
Small
Small
Small
Small
MW3 110713.JPG
MW2 110713.JPG
MW1 110713.JPG
Comma2 110713.JPG
First Gatekeeper of the year
First Gatekeeper of the year
During my visit I encountered a fellow enthusiast, who was also relatively local. We both vaguely mentioned going on to Runnymede to seek out WLH, and after going our separate ways it came to pass about an hour later that we both ended up there. I had discovered the location of the relevant elm, and very quickly saw two individuals wheeling together high up and then across the track to an ash tree. One left the other and descended to about 10 feet up, but after briefly considering a stop, headed back up into the elm again. The sun was on the other side of the tree in a private garden by this time and the tempting bramble flowers under the elm were shaded. Nevertheless, the close approach was enough to confirm the ID. Another first for the year, and a really convenient spot for me to get to again. The things you can find almost under your nose...

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news about finding a White Letter site near to you- I'm in the look out for a DGF site on my way to work. Great to see Gatekeepers are about :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave,

Just catching up a bit, some cracking photos in the last few posts. I really like your male Meadow Brown topside :D .

I have also noticed that you seem to get Small Heaths much better posed than I usually find them :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil F.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you for your kind comments, Neil. :) If you knew just how many photos of Small Heaths were attempted to produce a reasonable one... Luckily they abound on my local patch throughout the summer and there are plenty of opportunities.

12th July

I went down to Dover for the weekend to visit a friend. I had just enough time to divert to East Blean Woods for half an hour, but as I drove into Kent I found cloud and the temperature dropped. The sun did come through a little, but there were no Fritillaries to be seen (Probably too late now for the Heaths). However, there were dozens of Ringlets, a few Meadow Browns and Large Skippers, and a splendid White Admiral wafted along the path in effortless fashion, never stopping for a moment.
Ringlet3 120713.JPG
Ringlet2 120713.JPG
Ringlet1 120713.JPG
LS 120713.JPG
13th July

I saw my first Painted Lady of the year on Dover seafront this afternoon, zooming between flowers on the colourful wildflower beds that decorate the promenade. Later on I made my first ever trip up onto Lydden Hill and its renowned reserve where many species fly (the sign says "more than 30 butterflies can be found here" - I assume Kent Wildlife meant more than 30 species of butterfly...) Somewhat between broods, the only Blues were a handful of Common ones, but there were plenty of Marbled Whites and Meadow Browns all over the slopes, and Large Skippers and a few Ringlets along the hedges. Singletons of Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Small Heath and Red Admiral were also seen. Yes, my first trip here, despite spending 16 years in Dover a while back and making regular visits since.
MW 130713.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

16th July

Back to my local patch after work this evening, and I decided to check out the Essex Skipper colony right next to the roundabout between the A3044 and the A3113. There were about a dozen flying, and having checked all I could, took one last photo. Looking now, I find I have a Small Skipper amidst the crowd of Essex.
Essex
Essex
Essex (roadside setting!)
Essex (roadside setting!)
Essex
Essex
Small
Small
Near to this spot, there is a patch of thistle and long grass next to the junction between the A3044 and the road into Stanwell Moor. Ten minutes here produced two Commas, a Small Tortoiseshell, a Gatekeeper, a Holly Blue and my first new Peacock of the summer. Despite a few largish hedgerow elms, I found no WLH.
ST1 160713.JPG
Peacock2 160713.JPG
Back on the riverside part of my walk, I entered the usual glade to find two Red Admirals gliding around in the shade, accompanied by a Speckled Wood and two more Holly Blues. Further on, I came out into the open area north of the A3113 to be surrounded by dozens of Meadow Browns. Along the hedges there were also lots of Gatekeepers; Large Skippers still leapt at anything moving (though they are getting more ragged by the day) and several Commas joined in. There was also a Small Tortoiseshell nectaring on Ragwort: it remained there throughout my whole visit. There is also a colony of Essex Skippers here, and it did not disappoint - and once again there was a Small Skipper in the mix. Finally, only one Small Heath appeared, and there were several Large and Green-veined Whites seeking spots in the shade to nectar.
SH+GK 160713.JPG
Essex
Essex
Essex
Essex
Small
Small
GK1 160713.JPG
GVW 160713.JPG
Dave

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Great report as always Dave, love the photo of the Peacock, excellent.

All the best, Nick.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Nick! Amazing to think it might still be around in nearly a year's time... Tough little creatures, Peacocks.

I realise that my account earlier missed out the Purple Hairstreaks I saw in two out of the three local spots I have for them. They were all high up, and not numerous, but unmistakeable.

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

I've got a little behind with the diary lately, being rather busy trying to balance butterfly and non-butterfly activity. However, one important excursion was made over the last few days.

18th July

Firstly, I did a late tour of my local patch on Thursday evening. The most notable aspect of this was seeing 26 different Commas over about a mile and a half of path. They have been common at this time of year over the last few summers, but this was a record. There were also a couple of new Peacocks and three Red Admirals swooping around in the shade. Out in the more open areas, the Essex Skippers were starting to roost, but were frequently disturbed by Meadow Browns which remained rather more active. There were still a couple of Large Skippers hanging on as well, and Gatekeeper numbers are building well now - mostly males so far. All three varieties of whites were still flying, looking for places to hide for the night in the undergrowth. The heat seems to keep them active, but the time of day tells them to roost. Finally, I spotted a few Purple Hairstreaks high in the line of smallish oaks by J14 of the M25 - numbers are definitely disappointing this year.
Comma4 180713.JPG
Comma3 180713.JPG
Comma2 180713.JPG
Comma1 180713.JPG
GK2 180713.JPG
ES6 180713.JPG
ES5 180713.JPG
ES3 180713.JPG
ES2 180713.JPG
ES1 180713.JPG
19th July

I determined to leave home early, having secured a day off work to join the merry throngs enjoying the wonderful Purple Emperor season. I reached Botany Bay around 9 o'clock after a little adverse M25 traffic, and set off through the woods, encountering several Silver-washed Fritillaries nectaring in the shade. I was informed that an Emperor had been seen on the ground quite early on, and it wasn't long before I was able to watch one particular individual performing a regular circuit of a series of oaks but never coming very far down.
SWF1 190713.JPG
A little later, while chatting at the High Point clearing, I spotted something tumble down from a tree at the edge of the path. I thought it might be a White Admiral, but found instead that it was an Emperor - or rather unmistakably an Empress. She then shut her wings, which meant an adjustment of camera angles (I hadn't managed to get a shot yet) and a change of position. Fatal mistake: my foot turned out to be on one of those hidden bramble runners that seem to be connected to bushes yards away, and the movement put her up. She shot away rapidly at about chest height into a sallow on the other side of the clearing. Cursing was kept to a minimum.

I wandered back to the Triangle and then back towards the car, having seen Emperors along here several times in the past. I caught up with PJ Underwood, and had a most enjoyable chat before he left for a luncheon appointment, and I returned for another tour of the woods. Fortune favoured this decision, as I now came upon a group of devotees around a grounded male attracted by fishy bait laid at the triangle much earlier on. Apparently first sighting was by an American visitor who had called out "is this what you're looking for?". It certainly was. I managed some reasonable photos, but the long lenses were in abundance around me, and I could not get close with my little Sony without blocking everyone's view. I did get a video clip which wasn't too bad either. Before I left at around 1, I did see another grounded male, plus one quite low down in a tree. All in all, I would say four males and a female for the morning.
PE4 190713.JPG
PE3 190713.JPG
PE2 190713.JPG
PE1 190713.JPG
Other butterflies? Silver-washed Fritillaries were everywhere, but not so White Admirals - I think I saw only three, which is very low. Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Skippers Large and Small, and Speckled Woods were all around in numbers, and I also saw a fresh female Brimstone, two Red Admirals and several Commas. I took some shots of a female SWF from a variety of angles to the light - the underside colours change amazingly from silver with orangey hints to dark green.
SWF2 190713.JPG
SWF3 190713.JPG
SWF5 190713.JPG
SWF6 190713.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

19th July (continued)

I needed to avoid the M25 on the way back from Botany Bay, and the most obvious alternative went right past Dawney's Hill in Pirbright - I decided to see if any Graylings had emerged yet. They had not, but there were still lots of Silver-studded Blues flying. All but a few females were very worn now, but I counted at least 40 butterflies, with an approximate ratio of 25 females to 15 males. It was very hot indeed between the heather and gorse bushes, and the ground was tinder dry. Other species seen included Large Skipper, Small Skipper, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Comma.
SSB1 190713.JPG
Early evening, I collected my larger boys from Cherwell Valley services on the M40. Whilst I waited in the queue on the slip road, the verges proved to be full of Meadow Browns, Marbled Whites and Skippers, all oblivious to the heavy traffic inches away.

20th July

A trip to the beach at Studland in Dorset. Another hot and sunny day (down there anyway!) and we saw a couple of Small Tortoiseshells patrol the beach. However, the dunes behind were almost devoid of butterflies, except for a few Gatekeepers. No Graylings out here either. I persuaded the boys that they would like to stop for a bit of tea up at the castle tearoom at Durlston, near Swanage. This gave me a brief chance to look for Lulworth Skippers. Just down from the Globe and along the cliff path there is suitable habitat, but frustratingly the Skippers were supercharged in the sun. I managed some truly awful shots of one or two very olive individuals which I took to be the target species, but the photos that came out best were clearly all of Essex Skippers - at least one appeared freshly emerged with limp wings. I didn't even know they were found here. I also saw Large Skippers, Marbled Whites, Ringlets and Meadow Browns.
ES1 200713.JPG
ES2 200713.JPG
21st July

I made two trips around my local patch today, one while the cloud persisted, and the next soon after it had disappeared. During the first trip, Gatekeepers dominated, with dozens seen all over the place, including two mating pairs. On the later excursion, there were an abundance of newly emerged Peacocks, including ten on a roadside buddleia, plus many Whites of all three types with a predominance of the Large variety. Overall, other species seen were Essex Skippers, Large Skippers, Meadow Browns (with a mating pair), Speckled Woods, Holly Blues, Commas, Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals, Small Heaths and one new male Brimstone.
GK pair1 210713.JPG
same pair
same pair
another pair: big difference in size between sexes
another pair: big difference in size between sexes
GK2 210713.JPG
GK3 210713.JPG
LW 210713.JPG
SpW 210713.JPG
22nd July

After work, I set off for Denbies to see how this year's emergence of Chalkhill Blues was going, after the tremendous season they had in 2012. It took a very long time to get from J9 of the M25, and by the time I arrived, the majority had gone to roost. However, it was abundantly clear that there are probably thousands of them out on the hill, almost all males at present. Almost every grass stem held one. Add to this good numbers of Marbled Whites, Meadow Browns and Small Skippers, and every footstep sent up a cloud of butterflies. I had trouble getting decent photos, as the light levels had dropped with the arrival of some tropical looking clouds, but I had a go. One of the poorer shots was of the only vaguely aberrant individual I spotted, lacking underside hindwing spotting. On the way back to the car in ever dimmer light, I somehow picked out the silver spotting of a roosting Dark Green Fritillary. I managed one shot before an unruly puppy charged through the grass, disturbing everything in sight. It has to be said the animal was quite cute in its boundless energy on such a hot evening.
MW 220713.JPG
SS 220713.JPG
DGF 220713.JPG
30 or so in this picture
30 or so in this picture
ChB group1 220713.JPG
an aberrant underside
an aberrant underside
ChB1 220713.JPG
with view across to Leith Hill
with view across to Leith Hill
ChB3 220713.JPG
ChB4 220713.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic report Dave some real corkers in there and a fantastic array of species :D :mrgreen: The shots of His Nibbs are great my favourite is the one on the leaf where he's looking at the camera, head turned "you looking at me?" style :lol:
I've not tried Durlston for Lulworths but I might be returning to the homeland next week on a camping trip so I might be able to give it a try.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Lovely report and photos Dave. The Chalkhill Blue with the backdrop view towards Leith hill is stunning, :D you`re giving Guy a run for his money with that one. :D

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Agreed, that is a cracking shot Dave :D

Just catching up on your diary, some great reports and photos :D

Cheers,

Neil F.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all for the kind comments: very much appreciated, chaps. I was also pleased with the Chalkhill in front of the view - I may have to tinker with it to remove that stalk across the lower right of the frame. I can do it now without disturbing the butterfly :wink: . It doesn't compare with Guy's mountain views, though Leith Hill is the nearest South East England has to a mountain, being just shy of a thousand feet in height. The tower on the top was built specifically to take it over the magic number!

23rd July

Another late ramble locally (at half six or so) was all I could manage today. Nevertheless, no day is like another, and it's always worth the effort. Several Commas were still flying, as were a few Gatekeepers (mostly females this evening), Speckled Woods, Meadow Browns and assorted Whites.
MB 230713.JPG
GVW 230713.JPG
Comma2 230713.JPG
The evening light really accentuates the colours of this female Gatekeeper
The evening light really accentuates the colours of this female Gatekeeper
There were four Red Admirals - they seem to love the early evening, indulging in fast and furious aerobatics - chasing anything that moved and briefly settling on me more than once.
More crimson and less scarlet in reality
More crimson and less scarlet in reality
The low light levels contributed to the blurriness of this image
The low light levels contributed to the blurriness of this image
I came across one fresh Essex Skipper which posed cutely in the teddy bear fashion noted by Wurzel. I discovered another oak tucked away by the River Colne which I had not noticed before, and sure enough four or five Purple Hairstreaks darted around the top and between it and neighbouring ash trees.
ES1 230713.JPG
Finally, along an open stretch of path there is a shallow ditch, currently full of low-growing and partially mown nettles. A closer look revealed the nettles to be host to a multitude of Small Tortoiseshell larvae - so many that there really cannot be enough food for them all. Small Tortoiseshells seem to prefer the smaller size of nettle, and I am a bit at a loss as to where I might relocate some of them. Most nettles around here are tall, lanky and pretty dried out at present. I assume that this is one of nature's ways of ensuring we are not overrun with Small Tortoiseshells, however pleasant a prospect that might initially seem.
nettles 230713.JPG
ST caterpillars2 230713.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Dave especially the Gatekeeper - evening sun and butterflies is a cracking combination :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

It certainly is, Wurzel - Gatekeepers seem to glow in this light. And this evening there was more late sun...

25th July

After work again, and I headed for Dawney's Hill this time, only 20 miles away near Pirbright. Interestingly, I've yet to meet another soul here (not even a dog!). The target was Graylings, but to start with, all I saw amongst the heather and gorse were a scattering of female Silver-studded Blues. There were half the numbers I'd seen a week ago, and I only saw one definite male.
SSB1 250713.JPG
SSB2 250713.JPG
SSB3 250713.JPG
SSB4 250713.JPG
Quite a few Gatekeepers were around, and one Meadow Brown bounced up to set off a false alarm. Moving out into a more open area, I finally disturbed my first Grayling. Overall, I saw six or seven, all males I think - certainly there was no interaction between any of them and they were uniformly not much bigger than Meadow Browns, if that. They were as ever a bit tricky to photograph. The usual pattern was to fly on a bit, settle invisibly on the ground, then fly up again just as I was about tread on them. Then, just as I crept just into position, up they'd go and round behind me, more than once settling on the back of my legs. Turning round to follow just made them whizz off into the distance and plummet camouflaged into a hollow on the ground. They are terrific butterflies, and I shall be back when the females are out - some of them can be huge. Patience paid off and I did manage some shots gained at the expense of perforated knees.
GY1 250713.JPG
GY2 250713.JPG
GY3 250713.JPG
GY4 250713.JPG
GY5 250713.JPG
GY6 250713.JPG
You can see the gradual yellowing of the light in the sequence of pictures.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Dave of one of my faves :D I was hoping to go looking this weekend but the weather has turned just as I start my holiday :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”