Stock photos

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks again all - I really appreciate it!

I should have a prototype "stock library" up and running in the next week or so. I'll post a link here once it's done.

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

I'm in too although I support the Avon Wildlife Trust who have used many of my photos in their website and the quarterly magazine, and I would like them to continue to have first call in future.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks eccles.

I'd like to get some policies written down whereby certain organisations get images free-of-charge (charities, BC etc.). The "stock library" can then be used as the 1 place they can go - so hopefully it still adds value!

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Hi Pete
The images I post on this site are low res, usually 1000px on the longest side so that they are about the right size for viewing on most monitors. Will you want a high res versions? This is because if they are used in a magazine for example 1000px is probably not suitable for anything larger than 3" across the longest side (printed material is at least 300dpi). Needless to say I would be happy to send hi-res images if wanted.
Cheers
Dave
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Dave - I think the choices are:

1. I keep hold of the images displayed on the website, but the photographer is contacted if one of their images is requested. This would give the photographer complete control over the distribution of their images, and they decide what they'd like to charge (if anything) and then (optionally) make a donation to UK Butterflies at their discretion.

2. I keep hold of all high-res images too and deal with "delivery" of the image myself. Any payment is made to the photographer on the basis agreed with them.

So - what do folks think?

Also - the stock library is in prototype mode at:

http://photos.ukbutterflies.co.uk

... all comments welcome.

Cheers,

- Pete
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

It's looking good, Pete! :)

I'd prefer option 2 as I'd make a hopeless businessman, and I'd guess the purchaser would too, as it is a one-step process.

Would it/should it be a condition for the purchaser that the photo is only used with a credit to the photographer?

Bryan
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hate to say it, but I agree with Brian H :shock:

Gruditch
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Well - I'm happy to do the "management" of the high-res images until we get inundated with requests!

In terms of credits, I'd always ask for the photographer to be credited first, UK butterflies second. Worst case is that the publisher isn't able (or doesn't want) to credit photographers directly on the publication in question. I guess this is reasonable where (for example) a composite display is produced (such as those often used on nature reserves!).

Cheers,

- Pete
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Pete
If anyone wants to pay for any of my pics, I'm perfectly happy for you to charge what you can and put any money towards running costs of UKB
- or, at your discretion, share it with BC.
Alex
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for all the offers! I think we're now "good to go". I've posted some guidelines at:

http://photos.ukbutterflies.co.uk/contributing.php

Look forward to hearing from you, and any suggestions you might have!

Cheers,

- Pete
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Come on you lot, we've already sent ours :)

Gruditch
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Very generous too - thanks Gary and Lisa (Gruditch and Gwenhwyfar for those in the know!). You'll find all of our photos on the library, which I'll publicise in the next update letter that is shipped to subscribers.

And we already have our first taker - who gets the photos free-of-charge - given the policy for using the photos - definitely something that will foster the next generation:

From Catherine Hepburn, Primary 5, St Bridget's Primary School, Camp Road, Baillieston, Glasgow G69 6DF:

I taught the children about the life cycle of butterflies last year. They thoroughly enjoyed the subject and were asking for more information. I am taking this class on this year into primary 5 and decided to expand on last year's work. We are going to look at British butterflies and their habitat this year as part of enviromental studies. The photographs will be used, along with their names and areas found, for a wall chart or collage which the children will make. Your website address will be put on the chart to allow the children to access it in their own time. The photographs you have taken are stunning and will hopefully be an inspiration.

- Catherine Hepburn

Cheers,

- Pete
Last edited by Pete Eeles on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Mine are gonna get processed over the next few days, all my latest shots are raw files saved as tif and are 30-50Mbs each at the moment

Will send some in shortly though :)
Regards Mike
COLIN BAKER

Butterfly Magazine

Post by COLIN BAKER »

Maybe the School in Glasgow was not the first recipient of the "Stock Photos" after all.
Having just recieved my copy of "Butterfly" the magazine of Butterfly Conservation about ten minutes ago I would have to say the front cover looks very familiar.

Well done Pete, just another fine example of how the stock photos can be applied in practice. Looks great doesn't it?

Cheers

Colin
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Colin - and good to see you at the AES exhibition yesterday. Personally, I think they've not got the colours quite right - but maybe I'm being a perfectionist :) The cover is below for those interested :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Pete,

I would just like to say thank you for including some of my photo's in your Stock Photo's selection. I am tickled pink that my pics were good enough. I am truly honoured.

Thanks again
Denise
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

The reason they're included is because they're good photos! So thank you Denise!

Cheers,

- Pete
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I'm happy to provide images as well. I'm just back in the UK so it will take a while to identify and sort the 5000 shots I took this year. In the meantime if anyone requests any UK or non-UK species on my website, just let me know.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Lisa/ Gwen, went on to the Butterfly Conservation new look web site, and found that one of my pics (female Common Blue) has been used. :D

Gruditch

Return to “Photography”