Which Grizzled Skipper ?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Chris Jackson

Which Grizzled Skipper ?

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi. I saw this Grizzled Skipped in July in the Cantal departement of the Massif Central, France, at alt. 950 m, but I can't tell if it is Oberthür or Foulquier. Can someone differentiate for me please?
Thanks. Chris Jackson.
Attachments
skipper (b).JPG
skipper (a).JPG
skipper (a).JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 165 times
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Which Grizzled Skipper ?

Post by Padfield »

A tricky one, Chris, without an underside to help. Assuming carlinae is replaced by cirsii in your region, and assuming you are within the rather restricted range of bellieri (Foulquier's) I agree those are the only two species this might be.

I think most people would admit their experience of bellieri is both limited and uncertain, so I for one hesitate to suggest absolute diagnostic features. Tim Cowles observed that in bellieri the spots very often run outwards a little at the extrremities, as if the paint had run along the grain of the paper. This is illustrated in the picture below, which I believe is a mating pair of bellieri:

If this effect is characteristic of bellieri, though, it is not unique to it.

By default, and because there is nothing to suggest it is anything else, I suggest your butterfly is armoricanus (Oberthür's). The discal region of the hindwing is perhaps weakly marked for a male but not excessively so and the second picture in particular looks exactly like armoricanus.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Chris Jackson

Re: Which Grizzled Skipper ?

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks for your analysis Guy. This has put my mind at rest and I will classify it as Oberthür's.
Chris Jackson, Marseille

Return to “Identification”