Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, CJB.

Appreciated :D :D :D

I know what you mean about Hairstreaks as they can seem a little elusive. Providing you are in the right location at the right time, I don't think you'll have too much trouble, at least not with the Brown Hairstreak. The White-letter and Black should also not be too difficult providing you are on a good site with a healthy population and put in the time; providing they come down from their arboreal homes of course. My nemesis is the Purple and that may require some dark arts to get the shot ...

Wishing you every success with your quest.

Kindest regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Stedham and Iping Commons, 28 June 2013

At rest ...

A quick visit between showers ...
UKBP1150279ssbmalestedhamcommon.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Mark, just catching up on your diary, your Black Hairstreak is an absolute stunner, supurb stuff, great photo!!

Regards

Mike

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Mike.

I really appreciate your comments :D :D :D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 15 July 2013

Back to normality ...

Since the end of June I have been in southern Florida on a family holiday. When possible, I searched several small areas of the vast Everglades National Park (1,508,538 acres, 610,484 ha) for its various exotica - some more friendly than others; and also managed to cast a line into the crystal clear blue waters of the Keys (more to follow if and when I have time). I was still keeping a close eye on events back home and have been wondering how I managed to book this trip at the same time when everything started emerging back home during the current heatwave (well I know why really, as it was the only time my wife could get two weeks off work). It hopefully won't happen again; though I did earn lots of brownie points ...

A quick therapeutic walk around my local patch this evening produced my first Essex Skippers of the season (a male pictured below).

It's good to be back ...

Now for some catching up ...
UKBP1090231essexmale.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Essex Mark :D I reckon you might have timed it just right to still find everything as it's all happened at once.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Wurzel.

Fingers crossed ...

If my visit to Chiddingfold Forest yesterday was anything to go by then I'm on to a winner :D :D :D

More to follow ...

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 17 July 2013

Seeing purple ...

An early start was the order of the day yesterday and this produced the results with repeated groundings throughout the morning. I managed to photograph at least five grounded Emperors and an impressive pristine Empress; found mud-puddling in one of few areas of sheltered damp ground. I estimate that I saw at least twenty individual butterflies; though aerial sightings throughout the day were considerably more ...

A great day in excellent company - Chiddingfold Forest is certainly performing well this year.

A few favourites below ...
UKBP1150780PEmale170713.jpg
UKBP1150754PEmale170713.jpg
UKBP1150822purpleemperorfemale170713a.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That is a fantastic empress, Mark! Very impressed. I rarely see them coming to ground so early in the season.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

Great photos, Mark. What time would you recommend getting to the woods by?

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,

Glad you got back in time to see and photograph this beautiful butterfly, well done for finding a female, excellent photos, especially the queen.

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Mark- I knew you'd catch up right away :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Congratulations Mark ... that Empress shot is brilliant. The females are usually very difficult to approach when they descend for moisture, as they don't become engrossed in the way males do when in search for minerals. A rare opportunity well taken! :D
BWs, Neil

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice one Mark!

All the best,

Mike

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Superb shot of the female iris, Mark! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you.

Your comments are really appreciated :D :D :D

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Surrey Downland, 30 July 2013

Precious metals ...

The beautiful Silver-spotted Skipper ...
UKBP1160093sssmale300713.jpg
UKBP1160051sssmale300713.jpg
UKBP1150962sssmale300713.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

3 Brilliant photos Mark, excellent work.

All the best, Nick.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Yes indeed, three superb images, I just hope my search for Silver-spotted Skipper at Fontmell Down, Doset tomorrow is even half as productive, very well done Mark :wink:

Kind Regards,

Bill :D

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you both.

I really appreciate your comments ...

I hope you get lucky tomorrow Bill. I'd suggest a very early start ...

Kindest regards. Mark

Return to “Personal Diaries”