Bedfordshire Sites

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
MarbledWhite

Bedfordshire Sites

Post by MarbledWhite »

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knows of any good Butterfly sites either in, or just outside of central Bedfordshire. I have no specific targets in mind; I'm just looking for a site with good variety, as I still need a see some common ones before I start hunting down the scarcer ones. I've searched online and found a few different places but they only give the scarce species to see there (Often just one species) and a very broad location.

Thanks. :)
MikeOxon

Re: Bedfordshire Sites

Post by MikeOxon »

The Bedfordshire and Northants Branch of Butterfly Conservation is a good source of information. They provide a list of sites in their area at http://ebasic.easily.co.uk/049036/013039/sites.html with plenty of photos and descriptions to help you choose.

Mike
MarbledWhite

Post by MarbledWhite »

Thanks very much Mike. :D

I will give some of those sites a try when I get the chance; plenty of Butterflies I've not seen on offer.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Here are some of my favourite sites.

Totternhoe Quarry & Knolls
Bison Hill, Whipsnade
Ivinghoe Beacon

All of the above good for spring butterflies (inc Duke of Burgundy, Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper)

Pitstone Quarry for Small Blue

Sharpenhoe Clappers for Small Blue and Marbled White

Regards
Kev
MarbledWhite

Post by MarbledWhite »

Sorry for the late reply Kev, but thank you very much. :D

As I say I will try and get down to some of these sites when I can...

I went up to Marston Vale CP the other day as suggested, and around Willington today, which I'd heard was quite good for them and saw absolutely loads of Butterflies, including a Peacock, 5 Marbled Whites, 3 Gatekeepers and dozens of Green-veined Whites, Small Whites and Meadow Browns. Also a Comma and a few Large Whites - Not bad! :)
AJSteele

Post by AJSteele »

Hexton chalk pits on the herts\bed border is a good site http://www.hertswildlifetrust.org.uk/Na ... all/hexton, thousands of chalkhill blue flying currently,

Return to “Sites”