Butterflies in Kos

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Denise

Butterflies in Kos

Post by Denise »

I'm off to Kos for a week on Thursday. Does anyone know if there will be anything about or is it too late in the season? If there are butterflies any idea what I might look for?

Thanks
Denise
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I've never been to Kos but I'm sure there will still be stuff around! In general, islands have rather few species but those they do have are often special and interesting. I won't even speculate as to what you might see, because my only trip to a Greek island was in March, many years ago, but do look out for yellow female Cleopatras, if these are still flying. If it looks like a male brimstone but has a much more rounded hindwing it is probably one of these. Here is one I took that March:

I look forward to the pictures when you get back.

Guy
Denise

Post by Denise »

I'm back from hot and sunny but often very windy Kos.
There were lots of butterflies about including Small Tortoiseshell, Cleopatras, Large Whites, some that I think were Pasha's, ( quite large and bright and very beatifull) Many very small blue's and skippers. I managed a few photo's but as I said, it was very windy.

Image[/url]

Hope you like these.
Denise
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks, Denise. That looks like a lesser fiery copper - you have me jealous already! Do you know what the blue is? From that view alone it could be a common blue or one of several others.

Guy
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Guy,
I think that the pic is of a common blue but there were several different types and sizes of blue butterfly. One white species that I saw a few of was large with black stripes and a blue edge to the wing. Any idea what it might be? Here are a few more pics of poor quality i'm afraid.

Denise
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I would guess the large white ones with black stripes and blue edges were scarce swallowtails. The pictures here are:

1 Common blue and long-tailed blue
2 Lesser fiery copper (male)
3 Long-tailed blue

In the first picture, it is possible to see the cell spot on the underside of the forewing, confirming that this is common blue.

You must have had a great holiday!

Guy
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thank you Guy,
Next time I go I will arm myself with a very large white umbrella and a tripod so that I can spend more time in the field without cooking myself and getting the shakes!
It was a brilliant holiday, I would recommend Mastihari village and surrounding areas in Kos as a butterfly hot spot. Even the beach held more than a few, but they were passing through.

Denise
Denise

Post by Denise »

Does anyone know what the Skipper is, if in fact it is a skipper. After reading Sue's id question I am beginning to doubt myself.

Thanks
Denise
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's a marbled skipper, Carcharodus lavatherae. Don't doubt yourself! :)

Guy

Return to “Overseas”