millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Not many opportunities to get out, even when the sun has been shining, mostly because of work. However, half an hour at Harmondsworth Moor yesterday produced half a dozen male Meadow Browns, two male Common Blues and a Small Heath. I also saw a fresh-looking Red Admiral close to Elliot's school in Staines.

We have been raising a small number of Small Tortoiseshell caterpillars, and Elliot took a chrysalis to school for show-and-tell yesterday. There was a lot of interest apparently. This morning, we released a number of butterflies. I have done this on and off since I was around the same age as Elliot, but I still marvel at the ability of nature to turn nettles via caterpillars into beautiful, colourful butterflies.

A Comma caterpillar came home with the food supplies one evening, and this individual pupated at the start of the week.

Dave
Attachments
Comma chrysalis1 250613.JPG
Comma chrysalis2 250613.JPG
ST2 270613.JPG
ST1 270613.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

There were a few more newly emerged butterflies to release today - despite the cloud and light rain this afternoon it was warm, and they appeared to have emerged during the day. I had a brief trip out to my local patch around six and under the overcast I still managed to see four or five Small Heaths, a Common Blue, two Large Skippers and a Meadow Brown.

Dave
Attachments
ST 280613.JPG
CB 280613.JPG
SH 280613.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave, great photos, loving the freshly emerged Small Tortoiseshell :D .

I also used to rear all sorts of butterflies and moths when I was a young lad, I haven't done so for years now though. I really must have a go again.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Dave :D I'll have to have a go at rearing with my girls, my older daughter seems to be really getting into it now.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

All my children have enjoyed rearing caterpillars, and especially the moment when the glorious new butterflies take to the air for the first time.

Saturday 29th June

With a sunny weekend in prospect, I went out to see a few things. Saturday started at the Visitor Centre at Alice Holt - one of the rides nearby has always been reliable for White Admiral, SWF and Ringlets. It seems I was still too early - all I saw were a variety of Speckled Woods and Large Skippers, plus a couple of Red Admirals. The bramble was not quite in flower, and I've rarely seen WA and SWF before it opens.

I moved on to Thursley Common, reliable for Silver-studded Blues. On the way, I passed an enticing similar area of heathland near Frensham Pond, but the bright new double yellow lines put out a pretty strong message that roadside parking was not viewed positively. Never mind - Thursley did not disappoint, with several dozen blue gems to be found just within 25 metres of the weather station. Most were very new, and there were a few females flying too. I saw no other butterflies, but did spot a couple of custard-and-jam coloured moths which I have not seen before.

After a very pleasant drive through the Surrey countryside, including some beautiful views, I arrived next at Denbies. I hoped for some Marbled Whites, a Dark Green Fritillary, or even a precocious Chalkhill Blue, but was out of luck on all three counts. Spring broods were still hanging on in small numbers - several Small Heaths, Adonis and Common Blues, a single Dingy Skipper, and even less likely an almost unrecognisable Green Hairstreak. A few female Brimstones remained, and of summer species, only Large Skippers and the odd Meadow Brown were in evidence. A few days of reasonable weather and those slopes, pregnant with hundreds of pupae, will burst forth. (At least I hope they will!)

A short step from here across to Box Hill. It took a little longer than usual because of the endless stream of cyclists struggling up (and zooming madly down) the Zig-Zag Road. It gets quite hazardous at times - it's a tough climb. The reward of tea and home-made flapjack no doubt makes it worth it. However... There were no Marbled Whites out here either, sadly, but I saw a brilliantly new (and very active) Dark Green Fritillary at the top of Burford Spur - too quick for the camera. It tussled for a while with a Small Tortoiseshell, but curiously was ignored by the Large Skippers lurking around on the shrubs. Also out on the slopes here were some Common Blues, Small Heaths and Meadow Browns. Next weekend may well prove more interesting.

The final stop today was another visit to the Silver-studded Blues at Fairmile Common. By now, they were going through the early evening basking and settling down routine and were easy to spot. The females seem to emerge from where they hide in the heather and join the males in little groups of head down butterflies. I investigated the area east of the car park, and at its extreme close to where the A307 crosses the A3 found a small area full of roosting butterflies. The heath continues across the A307, and over the other side of the A3 (Esher Common), so I really ought to investigate further. One Small Heath was the only other butterfly I saw.

I took hundreds of photos of the Blues - choosing any worthy of posting was not easy, but here are a selection.

Dave
Attachments
Alice Holt
Alice Holt
SpW1 290613.JPG
SpW2 290613.JPG
Thursley
Thursley
SSB1 290613.JPG
SSB3 290613.JPG
SSB13 290613.JPG
SSB pair1 290613.JPG
moth 290613.JPG
Denbies
Denbies
LS 290613.JPG
GH2 290613.JPG
Fairmile
Fairmile
SSB2 290613.JPG
SSB4 290613.JPG
SSB5 290613.JPG
SSB6 290613.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 30th June

Today, the only way was Essex. Having been warned that Hockley Woods on a sunny Sunday was likely to get a bit crowded, I headed instead for Pound Wood just a few miles to the south. I made my way to the recommended clearing under the power lines and met a friendly fellow attempting a count of the Heath Fritillaries. He reckoned that he'd seen 16, but after he had left, I am certain these had been joined by additional freshly emerging females - it was quite windy, and this sex stays grounded at the best of times while the males cruise around searching for them. The area where they were to be found is relatively small, but attempts are being made to clear other areas in successional fashion to keep the species happy here. (I note from other postings that a more productive visit would have been at Little Haven, just a mile to the west, where hundreds were out. I couldn't see an easy place to park, so missed out.) That said, I was able to watch these delightful insects undisturbed for quite a while. Other species - a couple of Holly Blues, and the ubiquitous Large Skipper in good numbers. The male Heath Fritillaries often investigated the latter, attracted no doubt by their colour, but their slow lilting flight seemed to confuse the Skippers, who normally like something they can properly chase...

After Essex, Oxfordshire. Undaunted by more of the M25 (it wasn't bad today to be honest), I drove back and up to Whitecross Green Wood - but not in time to meet certain other members, unfortunately. RobS was still there however, and in the company of another gentleman, we spent a while in crick-necked scrutiny of the blackthorn. The late afternoon brought forth a few Black Hairstreaks (more had been seen earlier) but not particularly low or accessible for photos. After Rob had left, one came a little closer, but was simply more interesting to watch than anything else. Renowned for not flying if they can walk, this individual settled briefly on a leaf three metres or up, and then headed back into the heart of the bush, via the underneath of leaves and stems, until it was well nigh invisible. It must have walked half a metre or so. An amazingly fidgety species. Some distant photos were all I could manage, but one at least shows a bit of the character of little butterfly.

Elsewhere in the wood, I saw my first Ringlet of the year, several Common Blues, Speckled Woods and Large Skippers, a Meadow Brown or two, and aged specimens of both Peacock and male Brimstone.

Dave
Attachments
Pound Wood
Pound Wood
HF9 300613.JPG
HF5 300613.JPG
HF12 300613.JPG
HF16 300613.JPG
HF15 300613.JPG
Whitecross Green Wood
Whitecross Green Wood
BlH2 300613.JPG
BlH4 300613.JPG
The new...
The new...
...and the old...
...and the old...
...and older
...and older

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Sorry Dave, just catching up. your moth is clouded buff.

Chris

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Chris. It's a beautiful creature.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sounds like a truly fantastic day Dave :mrgreen: You got two of my target lifers in one day, and cracking shots to boot :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

It was a good day, Wurzel. Not a common combination to see on the same day, true enough.

I realise I forgot to mention I ended the day on Sunday with a late amble around my local patch, and was rewarded by the sight of no less than three new Commas. The one that allowed a photo had managed to damage itself already. I also found a roosting Common Blue, a new Small Tortoiseshell and a few Large Skippers, Small Heaths and Meadow Browns.
Comma 300613.JPG
On Monday, Elliot and I wandered out to the local shop after school. We had gone about 50 metres wen he spotted a caterpillar. And then another. And then several more... They were spiky and spiny and looked for all the world like miniature black cactuses with red spots. A quick internet search revealed them to be the larvae of the Vapourer moth (I think!). I don't think I've seen more than one at a time. We also spotted what I took to be the original larval nest, but which reading about it revealed it might actually be the larval cocoon of the female moth that laid the eggs. Bizarrely, the female is flightless, is fertilised immediately by a male on emergence from her cocoon, and lays her eggs right there. Not much of an existence, really...
vapourer cocoon 020713.JPG
Caterpillar2 010713.JPG
Caterpillar1 010713.JPG
The rest of the walk produced encounters with a few Speckled Woods and a couple of Red Admirals, but nothing else.
RA2 010713.JPG
RA1 010713.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Still envious of your great day Dave :mrgreen: then you see just a couple of Red Admirals - yet I've only seen one all year :shock: Talk about rubbing it in :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave,

Great reports of what sounds like a great day out :D

Your caterpillar is definitely a Vapourer, that is another species that I used to find lots of when I was a nipper. Later in the summer adult males in flight can be mistaken for Brown Hairstreaks, I have seen that happen a few times.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

You`re right Dave, your larva is that of the Vapourer moth, lovely photo.

All the best, Nick.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks for the kind comments, chaps, and for the confirmation on the Vapourer caterpillars.

4th July

Another tour of the leafy bits of Surrey today, and a demonstration of how a bright cloudy warm day (as the majority was) is no bar to finding interesting things.

I had intended going straight to Botany Bay, but for some reason I found myself on the M3 instead if the A3. Never mind, it would be simple to cut across to Guildford, and this route would take me very close to Dawney's Hill, near Pirbright. This area of heathland is home to colonies of both Silver-studded Blues and Graylings, but today only the first were in evidence. They basked and flew readily in the brighter spells, and overall I must have seen 30 to 40 individuals, including five or six females. All were fresh or nearly so. I found a couple of Ringlets along the damper edges of the heath, and a single Small Heath, but the SSBs really had the place to themselves.
SSB5 040713.JPG
SSB4 040713.JPG
SSB2 040713.JPG
SSB3 040713.JPG
RT 040713.JPG
After the unplanned interlude I went on to Botany Bay, hoping that maybe the cloud would break and White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillaries would be enticed out. None of these things happened, of course. However, the main path was full of Speckled Woods, and on the slope up after the bridge I was back in spring again as in quick succession I found firstly a Grizzled Skipper, and then a worn Wood White. After a short walk further, I returned to the car - in the open area just inside the gate I encountered another elderly Wood White, and confirmation that it really was July came in the form of a very fresh Small Skipper, and a couple of Meadow Browns and Ringlets.
GS 040713.JPG
WW3 040713.JPG
WW1 040713.JPG
SS1 040713.JPG
SS2 040713.JPG
SS3 040713.JPG
The last stop of the day was to be Box Hill again. As I arrived, the cloud was breaking and the sun was very warm. I made my way out onto Burford Spur, and was greeted by the sight of several Dark Green Fritillaries whizzing across the slopes, stopping every now and again to visit knapweed flowers, and then flying energetically to the top of the ridge and back down again. I twice found individuals on the chalk path sucking up minerals - not something I'd seen this particular species do before. I also saw my first Marbled Whites of the year, probably about ten or so only as yet, competing for the knapweed with the DGF. Interestingly, there were no real squabbles between these two species, but Meadow Browns (that placid, unassuming, nonaggressive insect) seem to really have a grudge against DGFs. They will chase them off flowers and harass them until they are well away. Odd - and something I noted last year too. Also see here were Ringlets, Small Heaths, Common Blues, Large Skippers, Speckled Woods, a Small Tortoiseshell and a beautiful new Red Admiral. Finally, there were still several Brimstones, of both sexes, and even some courtship behaviour. I saw two instances of a male and female spiralling high into the air - in one case with a second male in attendance. I also found a pair on the ground - I assume the female was doing her utmost to put the male off at this stage of the year.
RA 040713.JPG
Brimstones 040713.JPG
DGF1 040713.JPG
DGF2 040713.JPG
DGF3 040713.JPG
DGF4 040713.JPG
DGF8 040713.JPG
DGF5 040713.JPG
MW2 040713.JPG
MW1 040713.JPG
Another good day! :D

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

5th July

I stayed close to home today, and walked along the River Colne up to Colnbrook and back, through the "Heathrow Biodiversity Site".

The grass was now filling up nicely with good numbers of Meadow Browns, and Small Heaths and Large Skippers were numerous too. Having not seen any around here for a week or so, there were once again White butterflies, with at least one GVW and one Small White identified - though there were several others. I came across a Red Admiral, a Speckled Wood or two, and half a dozen new Commas in various spots, but the most encouraging aspect of the walk was the fact that I counted over 25 Small Tortoiseshells. They were seen nectaring on tall thistles, basking on the paths, and sounding out the lush new growth of nettles at the edges of the beds where the plants had been earlier strimmed off. They were also being chased by Meadow Browns in exactly the way I had seen DGF chased by them at Box Hill yesterday. I saw them in twos and threes and fours - this must surely count as a revival of fortunes. The only downside was that the most favoured area of young nettle growth (I saw five different individuals take an interest in this patch) is mown flat three times every year. It has had the cut once so far, and within a couple of weeks it will happen again - such a shame.

Dave
Attachments
Comma1 050713.JPG
Comma2 050713.JPG
Comma3 050713.JPG
LS1 050713.JPG
SH 050713.JPG
SpW 050713.JPG
ST1 050713.JPG
ST2 050713.JPG
ST3 050713.JPG

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Your photo of the Comma with it`s wings closed, [3rd picture] is an absolute beauty Dave.

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Ditto whatNick said and also the Dark Greens from yesterday ( missed them last night after I posted) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks chaps - that Comma was beautifully marked - definitely a hutchinsoni I would say.

6th July

Up to Rugby to see my bigger boys. We spent the day at Ryton Country Park, as we did exactly a year ago. Rather different weather. No White Admirals or Silver-washed Fritillaries, unfortunately, and everything was supercharged in the heat.
Nest of Peacock larvae in Ryton Woods
Nest of Peacock larvae in Ryton Woods
Flying in Ryton Meadows
Flying in Ryton Meadows
In Ryton Woods - my first female of the year
In Ryton Woods - my first female of the year
On the way back, we stopped at Cherwell Valley services, and had a look at the water meadow round the back. Thought it was seven in the evening, quite a bit was still flying.
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
Cherwell Valley
(I have not expanded too much on this, as this is the fifth attempt to upload this post, and it is very hot here still!)

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

Down at the Alice Holt Visitor Centre with Elliot today. We had a look down the usually very productive ride, but aside from a Red Admiral, Speckled Woods, Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Large Skippers (and none too many of them) we saw nothing.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Dave especially the Small Skippers - the first is a Padfield shot but I really like the second one :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”