Fairmile Common - Silver Studded Blues

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Hoggers

Fairmile Common - Silver Studded Blues

Post by Hoggers »

Hello All, I'd like to visit Fairmile Common to see Silver Studded Blues. I've never been before and having looked at both Google Earth and Ordnance Survey Map 187 I've ended up Dazed and Confused!

I can see Fairmile Common on the map, just South of the A3. But when I Iooking at it on Google it appears to be a large wood: the SSB's aren't in there, are they?

Is the SSB site just North of the A3 along the A307 Portsmouth Road ( what my map calls Esher Common)? I ask this because on Google Earth it appears to be open ground in part at least, beneath power lines.

Or is the SSB site at Fairmile Common in fact what my map calls Oxshott Heath ( which sounds rathe more like SSB territory)?

Hoggers Perplexus.
millerd

Re: Fairmile Common - Silver Studded Blues

Post by millerd »

The grid ref for the car park I use is TQ117617. Streetmap: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=51 ... hp=ids.srf
I would go up a notch to the 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey map which has car parks marked, but the link should get you there.

This is reached from the A307 north of Cobham down a turning to the left before the main road crosses the A3. It appears the be the entrance to a school because of the school name in large letters on the wall, but ignore that. Follow this road through a left then a right hand bend and the car park is on the right immediately before a bridge over the A3. Either cross the road from the car park entrance and walk into the gorse/heather area, or alternatively head in the opposite direction into the wedge between the A3 and A307. There were plenty of SSB in both areas last weekend. I have not actually looked at the area shown as Fairmile Common on the map, but there is a useful board in the car park guiding you to other parts of a much wider heathland area.

Happy hunting!

Dave
Hoggers

Re: Fairmile Common - Silver Studded Blues

Post by Hoggers »

Brilliant!

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Return to “Sites”