Black Hairstreaks

Discussion forum for sightings.
daveh

Black Hairstreaks

Post by daveh »

Good numbers of Black Hairstreaks at Bernwood Forest & Whitecross Green Wood yesterday. Nice to meet the Sussex Kipper at Bernwood.

The best photo I managed to take was this:

David
Attachments
black-hairstreak.jpg
RobS

Re: Black Hairstreaks

Post by RobS »

It was a good day at White Cross Green!!.All the action was over by the time i got to Bernwood later in the afternoon.Meeting like minded enthuisiasts is almost as fascinating and entertaining as seeing the butterflies themselves sometimes.Great photo btw.
cheers
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Lovely photo of a superb condition Black Hairstreak David. It was great to meet Robs at Whitecross Green Wood along with several other enthusiasts.

Lots of photo's of Black Hairstreak are often taken from a distance simply because the b*****s won't come down :lol: you end up getting long range record shots similar to the one I have attached below or you manage to get nice shots like yours. Either way there cannot be many (if any) harder to photograph butterflies on the British list, others might disagree :shock:

My own modest but best effort for the day was taken at Bernwood Compensation when I had about given up hope of a decent photo with time moving towards 5pm-ish, to get this capture I had to place my hands up as high as I could reach and use the vari-angle on my Panasonic FZ150 - luckily I already have as good a BH image as I can probably manage from a previous visit to WGW 2011 - if I hadn't my camera would have become a Panicsonic :lol: All in all this year has proved most encouraging for the species, especially after the 'Year of the Deluge 2012'. Lets hope that other UK Butterflyers pay either woods a visit before the all too brief BH flight season comes to an end and they also enjoy the sight of these great little insects.

Regards,
Bill :D
Attachments
Typical out of reach insect that causes much frustration!!!
Typical out of reach insect that causes much frustration!!!
The reach up high and hope shot...produced this lucky image!!!
The reach up high and hope shot...produced this lucky image!!!
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

It is really good to see all the reports of Black Hairstreaks this year and some really great photos, including your first post David :D

This is a species that I have still yet to see, ironically Bernwood and Whitecross Green woods are only about an hour and a half or so down the M40 for me but I don't think I will chance to get down there this year before their short flight period is over.
This coming weekend I will be spending in the Heddon Valley in Devon and then its work for a week. I may get a chance the following weekend but that could well be too late.

Even if I miss them this year, I have enjoyed reading others reports and looking at the great photos. It is also encouraging to see so many sightings given the doom laden headlines going around last year.

Hi Bill, that vari-angle screen can be a godsend, not only for the high shots but also for saving the knees with low shots :wink:

All the best,

Neil F.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Willrow wrote: Lots of photo's of Black Hairstreak are often taken from a distance simply because the b*****s won't come down :lol: you end up getting long range record shots similar to the one I have attached below or you manage to get nice shots like yours. Either way there cannot be many (if any) harder to photograph butterflies on the British list, others might disagree :shock:
Regards,
I missed you at Whitecross by a whisker, Bill - RobS was still there, gazing hopefully upwards... But I heartily echo your comments. I saw four or five, all well above head height, settling and often wandering off into the foliage out of sight as well. The only close encounter I've ever had was with an ancient specimen that was only just about recognisable. Anyway, those distant shots capture the character of the butterfly - we remember the day that much better because of it, probably!

Dave
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Hello Dave,

Such a pity we missed one another, myself and DavidM headed over to Bernwood Compensation, our adventure with BH there can be viewed in Dave's Personal Diary. No matter how well you use your time at these wonderful locations, it simply flies by...or should that be butterflies by :lol:

I'm sure our paths will cross at some point Dave, in the meantime it looks as if we have a bit of real Summer weather to look forward too...enjoy :wink:

Regards,
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Sightings”