A Great Week

Discussion forum for sightings.
whisperervan

A Great Week

Post by whisperervan »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site. Interested in butterflies for 55 years. First photographed them in 1980 on Kodachrome 64 with a 1:1 macro lens, a mount for two flash heads, (a larger and a fill and one on top for the background), always at the flash speed on camera...probably 1/60 in those days, and pre-focussed with a move-in to subject sharpness...the latter could be dicey! Digital cameras and auto-focus give more, and more successful results overall. (Never used to like wasting FILM!)
ANYHOW....Tuesday 25th June and a recee on Haddon Hill, (Exmoor) found numerous fresh Heath Fritillaries. Two photographic sessions followed of 2 hours and an hour and a half, with numerous successful results, male & female insects.
Next day at Collard hill, met Pete Eeles and 1 brief sighting of large Blue. However a young NT ranger pointed me to Bee and Wasp Orchids to make up for sad lack in blues.
Sunday 30th got my 1st ever sighting of a Black Hairstreak at Piddington Woods, and (frustratingly) within a whisker of photographing it. Decided to have a look at Rushbeds Wood. Hadn't a clue re its layout but went down an interesting ride and found a stonking meadow, (chastised for chasing a Brown Argus by seniors, saying it was an SSSI!) Had probable sightings of B/hairstreaks because the field, the size of 5 football pitches and full of Ox Eye Daisies, Common Spotted Orchids, clover, buttercups, etc, etc was beautiful. SURROUNDED on its perimeters by BLACKTHORN! At about 4.15 identified a Black Hairstreak coming down on an Ox Eye Daisy and got in to photograph it for up to ten minutes!!
Yesterday at Daneway Banks, newly emerged Marbled Whites, browns, skippers, Common Blue, and .....nowt until I was ready to leave. Top far bank at about 12 noon, a Large Blue appeared (I call them DENIMS). Had three landings and sessions over next 20 minutes, so that's why I say a great week! Will send some images in. Pub landlord says he was told they are up to 3 weeks late!
Van Greaves FRPS www.vangreaves.com
Mark Tutton

Re: A Great Week

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Van Greaves - welcome to the site - sounds like you have had a great week indeed!
Nice to see you have spotted denims at Daneway Bank - my partner comes from very close to the area ( Nailsworth) and we spent a lovely day there last year, with lunch and a beer at the pub, I think we were a little early but the site looked great. It is really reassuring that they are still there and I will definitely return in the coming years as this is a great extension to the Large Blue community. Keep up the good work
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Van,
... and it's a "welcome to UKB" from me too. You're definitely the best singer we have. :D
Best Wishes, Neil
CJB

Post by CJB »

Good morning Van.

A welcome to the ukb'ers from me too.

What an amazing week you have had, particularly with the Heath Fritilliaries and the Denim ( :wink: ). Two species i am yet to snap.
I have a bizarre goal to photograph all the British Species on my mobile telephone (don't ask!) and have so far snapped 42, but now I am down to the Geographically challenging species, bar the hairstreaks, who I cannot seem to snaffle. :evil:

It sounds as though you have some amazing sites on your doorstep ( :mrgreen: ) and I look forward to reading more of your reports while I drive my desk in London... :cry:

Flutter on!

CJB
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

vangreaves wrote:First photographed them in 1980 on Kodachrome 64
I enjoyed your reminiscences - brought back many similar memories of my own. After a few years, my then young son got the 'bug' and drove me on to photograph all the mainstream British species!

Congratulations on your excellent week. I've not done too well for butterflies recently but I have caught up on some wild orchids and was very pleased to get photos of a Chough on the Gower peninsular near Rhossili.
Rhossili,Gower - 1st July 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/350s @ f/5.6 ISO400
Rhossili,Gower - 1st July 2013
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/350s @ f/5.6 ISO400
Mike

Return to “Sightings”