Unknown moth

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
BRIAN

Unknown moth

Post by BRIAN »

yes I know we are a butterfly group, but with our talents I'm sure a member may help me identify this moth, we get the common noctuids in our area, so cabbage moths, dot moths, daggers and angle shades are easy to identify, this I found it in my greenhouse, I was collecting foodplant (SALLOW) for some puss moths I was rearing, and noticed a smooth pale blue larvae had come in with sallow,which then pupated, and as a moth escaped from my emergance cage, I think it was this I saw in the greenhouse a few days later

ps souths books showing paintings of moths did not realy help

COLIN BAKER

Uknown Moth

Post by COLIN BAKER »

Hi Brian-looking at my Field Guide to Moths I have the feeling this might be a Copper Underwing as opposed to Svensson's Copper Underwing, the former being shown on http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=196
Did you see any copper colouring on the hind wing at all?

Flies between July-October and is fairly common apparently.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Colin
Tymo

Post by Tymo »

The markings on the upperside of the frontwing can help, palpus or underwings aren't reliable identification marks.
This specimen is A. pyramidea.

Tymo
BRIAN

Post by BRIAN »

Thanks guys, you seem to be in agreement, the moth is a copper underwing A. pyramidea, the larvae was a turquiose blue but didn;t notice a lighter coloured stripe and the food plant was sallow
so thanks again
Brian

Return to “Identification”