Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I think people generally think of the white, upper side forewing spots as being the main feature differentiating artaxerxes from either subspecies salmacis (most) or the Southern Softie Brown Argus. However, I think the undersides look more different, with black 'pupils' being completely (or at least mainly) absent from the spots, leaving just white circles. I imagine this can also be achieved easily via PhotoShop, allowing an entire portfolio of shots from the armchair. :shock:

Thanks Mike. As with the Brown Argus, only a touch of lighting is required to turn a LBJ into a butterfly showing most colours of the rainbow.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

In Search Of Silver Studs

On Saturday (22nd June) six enthusiasts joined me in a search for the Silver-studded Blue on Lynchmere, Stanley and Marley Commons, just south of Haslemere. The species has not been recorded on Lynchmere or Stanley Commons for many years, although a female butterfly was photographed at Marley in 2012 by WSCC ecologist Ben Rainbow. Both the Lynchmere Society and National Trust are doing some excellent heathland restoration work, which will hopefully encourage the spread of this species. Following habitat management work, Silver-studded Blue numbers are now very good at Chapel Common, approximately 6 Km to the southwest.

Unfortunately we failed to find the butterfly, although this might be due to the fact that the season is still running several weeks late! SSB has only just started to emerge on the strong colonies at lower altitude (e.g. Iping and Stedham), so it might be another week before any appear here ... assuming they are present. An ideal opportunity for someone to do a bit of reconnaissance work and cover themselves in glory.

Undeterred by the now miserable weather conditions, most of us headed to Iping and Stedham Commons. A total of 6 Silver-studded Blue were located, including a nice female. Bearing in mind that this species can be found irrespective of the weather, Colin Knight's field outing here on Saturday 29th June (see http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/events.html) should be well worth attending, come rain or sunshine.
UKB BC & LS Field Outing, Marley Common 22.6.13.jpg
UKB SSB male Stedham 22.6.13.jpg
UKB SSB female Stedham 22.6.13.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Was the 900 mile drive worthwhile? Without a doubt!
Great stuff Neil - I'm absolutely :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You've definitely given me itchy feet - must get out :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

undersides look more different, with black 'pupils' being completely (or at least mainly) absent from the spots, leaving just white circles. I imagine this can also be achieved easily via PhotoShop, allowing an entire portfolio of shots from the armchair.
These pictures show that underside difference very well. But to produce that effect with PhotoShop........it would be quicker to drive to St.Abb's Head.

I have seen the white spotted form only in NE Scotland and they were not as well marked as Neil's examples.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely shots again, Neil, and fair reward for your dedication.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Pete and David,
It's a good feeling when significant time and expenditure is invested in a long-haul trip, and it then comes good. Looks like Pete did the same on Great Orme :D .
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Still Beating Skippers

All followers of His Grace the Duke of Burgundy will have enjoyed watching his attacks on Dingy and Grizzled Skippers on many occasions. However, it is far less often that we are afforded the privilege of watching him beat up the Large Skipper; in fact I only recall ever seeing this once before.

Yesterday (26th June), while surveying a site on the Downs at Storrington, I was only mildly surprised by the relative abundance of spring skippers still flying, bearing in mind how late this season is still running. I even saw Green Hairstreaks, although they weren't very green. What did surprise me was this feisty old Duke who, despite visibly falling to pieces, was attacking every one of the freshly emerged Large Skippers that crossed his territory. This butterfly wins my 'Duke of Burgundy of the Year Award'.

http://www.hamearislucina.blogspot.co.uk
Burgundy Blog, Ancient DoB, Storrington 26.6.13.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Spring Meets Summer

Yesterday (26th June) I spent much of the day walking on the beautiful Downs at and around Chantry Hill near Storrington. I saw quite a few butterflies, although many of these were spring species which have persisted far longer into the season than normal, with the entire butterfly calendar still running 2-3 weeks later than last year. As a consequence many of these were faded and well past their best, including Dingy (21) and Grizzled Skipper (5), Green Hairstreak (1), and even a Duke of Burgundy! Later spring species included Common Blue (22), Brown Argus (18) and Small Heath (11).

My own definition of the start of summer was fulfilled with my first sightings of Meadow Brown (4). These were accompanied by equally fresh Large Skipper (14), and a range of other species including Brimstone (3), Large White (2), Speckled Wood (3), Small Tortoiseshell (2), Red Admiral (1) and Small Copper (2). Most of the 4 Painted Lady I saw were heading north in a determined manner, continuing the modest but steady migration that has been going on since mid June.

Perhaps most gratifying was the discovery of Small Blue (3) in a coombe at Chantry Hill, these being new arrivals and almost certainly the result of habitat management work performed by the SDNPA as part of the Nature Improvement Area project.
UKB Brown Argus (2), Chantry Hill, 26.6.13.jpg
UKB Brown Argus, Chantry Hill, 26.6.13.jpg
UKB Brown Argus (3), Chantry Hill, 26.6.13.jpg
Brown Argus female
UKB Chantry Hill, 26.6.13.jpg
View towards Chantry Hill

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Neil. You have recent photos of Northern BA and 'southern' BA in almost identical poses.
Excellent photos provide an excellent comparison. But it isn't quite comparing like with like. The Northern BA is a male, southern BA is a female. Am I correct that females of both species have more pronounced orange lunules on the forewings than do the males?

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
Correct, although this is a particularly well marked female; hence I gave her a good going over. :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

First Silver-washed

For a number of reasons the last few days have been rather turbulent, so here's a report from earlier in the week, which is out of sequence in my diary. A brief trip with my daughter to the southern end of Rewell Wood produced our first Silver-washed Fritillary and Large Skipper of the year, together with a few Common Blue and a very fresh Small Tortoiseshell.
UKB SWF, Rewell Wood, 25.6.13.jpg
UKB Small Tortoiseshell, Rewell Wood, 25.6.13.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

I love that first shot of the pristine female Brown Argus; you can feel the breeze in her wings ...

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mark. Looks like we were both at Iping/Stedham today!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Silver Studs

Today was pretty dark and dingy, and although these conditions are unhelpful when chasing most species, they are ideal for tracking down and photographing the Silver-studded Blue. This afternoon I walked over a large area of heathland at Iping and Stedham Commons, seeing about 40 in the process, including 5 females. I also spotted a fresh and very pretty Beautiful Yellow Underwing moth.
UKB SSB1 Iping 28.6.13.jpg
UKB SSB4 Iping 28.6.13.jpg
UKB SSB3 Iping 28.6.13.jpg
UKB SSB2 Iping 28.6.13.jpg
UKB Beautiful Yellow Underwing Iping 28.6.13.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely shots as always, Neil.

Quick question. Do you think Lulworth Skippers will be about at Lulworth Cove in a week's time? I remember you saw them on 9th June last year at this site.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks David.
In answer to your question - yes, I reckon Lulworth Skipper must be out by then.
BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Thanks David.
In answer to your question - yes, I reckon Lulworth Skipper must be out by then.
BWs, Neil
Thanks, Neil.

You've just arranged my diary for 6/7 July. :)

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Sussex Kipper wrote:this is a particularly well marked female
She really is a splendid example and superbly photographed :D

Mike

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mike. She certainly had lovely lunules! :D
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Day Of Firsts

This morning I visited Heyshott Escarpment with my father, primarily to photograph Greater Butterfly Orchid, of which we found nearly 20. The butterflies were far from great, comprising just a few very tired looking 'June Gap' species. However, the one specimen which did catch my eye was a very smart looking Ringlet; my first of the year. In the afternoon I headed to the BC Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves with Dan Danahar. Although we failed to locate any Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, we did see our first White Admiral of the season. Large Skipper was one of the few other species seen.
UKB Greater Butterfly Orchid, Heyshott 29.6.13.jpg
UKB Ringlet, Heyshott 29.6.13.jpg
UKB Large Skipper, Rowland Wood 29.6.13.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”