June 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
A_T

Re: June 2013

Post by A_T »

A week's break on the Welsh Coast and off to Morfa Harlech for the afternoon. This site is said to have colonies of Small Pearl-Bordered Fritillary and Marsh Fritillary but either there aren't any, I'd left it too late or I was looking in the wrong place.

The Dark Green Fritillaries were out in force though. Also plenty of Common Blues.

ImageImage
ImageImage
David M

Post by David M »

That's a great shot with the three DGFs lined up. Excellent stuff, particularly given how difficult this species can be to 'stalk'.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Large Skipper 130625 028.jpg
Monks Wood Cambs

We have been searching for over a week. This evening I visited the wood after work and found 3 Black Hairstreak flying around the Blackthorn. Phil saw another 2 on his way to meet me. My first Large Skipper of the year.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Lovely Large Skipper shot Ros. Phil has just emailed me the Black Hairstreak news, very well done, as tough a species as any to find, makes it all seem a bit more like a real summer now doesn't it :)

Very Best Wishes,

Bill :D

PS...Said you were a superstar :lol:
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Thanks Bill It was a lovely summer evening for a change :D
David M

Post by David M »

Three sites visited during the course of today:

Sand Point, Somerset

No Glanvilles, just Meadow Browns, Large Skippers, Speckled Woods and Common Blues

Collard Hill, Somerset

Two Large Blues, 40-ish Meadow Browns, 20-30 Small Tortoiseshells, a dozen or so Speckled Woods, 3 or 4 Large Skippers, 2 Painted Ladies, 2 Small Heaths, 1 Red Admiral and 1 Dingy Skipper:

Alun Valley, Glamorgan

4 Dark Green Fritillaries, 2 unidentified (DG/HBF) and 1 certain High Brown. 2 Small Pearl Bordered Frits, 10 or so Speckled Woods, singleton Small White, Large Skipper, Brimstone, Peacock, Large White & Comma:

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Had my first proper butterflying day of the year on Monday. I set off early from Sheffield and arrived at Bishop Middleham Quarry at 9.30am. Despite good forecast weather, there was persistent drizzle. As soon as it stopped at 10am I got out of my car and entered the reserve. I saw my first NorthernBBrown Argus straight away. It looked pristine, and even better than that, the cold conditions meant it was very torpid. So I got some great photos.

Over the next hour I saw around 10 more Northern Brown Argus in a very small area and without even trying. Also saw 5+ Common Blue, all male. Again all looked pristine. I was also very pleased to see a Wall. All in all its a great reserve and I'd recommend visiting if you're ever in that area.

Following that I drove to Chambers Farm Wood in Lincolnshire in search of Marsh Fritillary. It was a bit of a gamble as the weather forecast was poor and I suspected that the flight season was over for them. On arrival there was a hint of sunshine so I jogged to little scrubs meadow before the looming black clouds arrived. Disappointingly I only saw one butterfly in the first hour, a female Orange Tip, probably my last of the season.

Finally after nearly giving up hope I saw a flash of orange from the corner of my eye. A Marsh fritillary! I located it and spent 20 minutes photographing it. It was quite faded but in otherwise good condition. However it seemed very torpid and by the end of the 20 minutes I very much got the impression it was breathing its final breaths :-(

Despite the slightly sad end, a reminder of the short season these lovely creatures have, I was really pleased with the outcome of the day. Now for the long trek to Collard Hill today....
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

College Lake today my first large skipper of the year, small blue (3), common blues (30+), few small heath and meadow brown. Cheers Sezar
Attachments
DSC00959A.jpg
DSC00957A.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

Annual "standing-in-blackthorn-thicket" pilgrimage to Monks Wood with Phil and Rosalyn for Black Hairstreak.
I just spotted them - and Phil got the pictures! About 10 seen, though all up in the tops of the bushes, except the one that I found and then realised I had left the CF card at home :oops:
(Hence, Phil has the picture! I don't think he will let me forget that one!)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

The Black Hairstreak photo that the cardless NickB missed out on.
The Black Hairstreak photo that the cardless NickB missed out on.

Yes, thank you Nick :lol:
I should also mention that another UK Butterflier, Gazillion, joined us for the afternoon and was rewarded with his first ever Black Hairstreak sightings and photo.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Alun Valley, Glamorgan was today's location, following in DavidM's footsteps of yesterday. Another mixed day with the weather, cloudy and rather breezy and then sunshine and rather breezy, so either way I got breezy :roll: Surprisingly the upper areas of the valley produced the best sightings of High Brown Fritillary with around ten seen there in all, while surprisingly the 'secret meadow' produced a mere three, still its early days yet and I'm sure numbers will increase throughout nicely. Getting side-view images of HBF was too difficult today, once the sun shone they (males) were on the hunt for females - that don't appear to be out yet.

Probably five Dark Green Fritillary seen and a further fifteen unconfirmed - HBF or DGF - its a mighty tough task to distinguish by jizz with these species when their on the wing :shock: I think I'll fore-go trying!!! Still I did manage a few record shots of grounded insects, but they certainly didn't want to pose today...miserable critters :(

Lots of Speckled Wood out and about, at least 30 seen. Other species were Large Skipper, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and several Whites. Full credit to Richard Smith (Butterfly Conservation Wales) and all the volunteers that have made this site special, they deserve every praise. The High Brown Fritillary has few remaining colonies left in Wales and this means that the Alun Valley is of absolute vital importance.

Attachments
Another couldn't resist shot...sorry!!!
Another couldn't resist shot...sorry!!!
Got just a bit closer to the High Brown Frit in this shot
Got just a bit closer to the High Brown Frit in this shot
Grounded but too far away for a good shot of this HBF
Grounded but too far away for a good shot of this HBF
Couldn't resist this barley shot!!!
Couldn't resist this barley shot!!!
Fresh looking female Large Skipper
Fresh looking female Large Skipper
Poor side-view shot of this DGF
Poor side-view shot of this DGF
No spot on the 'third spot' upper forewing on this HBF.
No spot on the 'third spot' upper forewing on this HBF.
Last edited by Willrow on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Stunning Black Hairstreak photo Phil, pure inspiration :wink:

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Bill,
Willrow wrote:No spot on the 'third spot' upper forewing on this DGF?
I think you'll find that's a male High Brown. The sex brands on the 2nd and 3rd veins from the base being distinctive. The outer wing margin of the forewing is also less rounded.

Kind regards. Mark
EricY

Post by EricY »

Yesterday 26th with a sunny day at last I travelled up to Chambers Farm wood. Found 3 Marsh frits in good condition. 1 Dingy skip, 1 Brimstone & 3 Meadow brown. Today not so lucky at Glapthorne, just distant views of 1 BH high in blackthorne & no photos. Eric
Marsh fritillary
Marsh fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Two Clouded Yellows on a bit of waste ground in Ashford, Kent this morning
IMG_4577.JPG
More pictures in my Personal Diary.

Will 2013 be a "Clouded Yellow Year"?

Here's Hoping!

Hoggers
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi Bill,
Willrow wrote:No spot on the 'third spot' upper forewing on this DGF?
I think you'll find that's a male High Brown. The sex brands on the 2nd and 3rd veins from the base being distinctive. The outer wing margin of the forewing is also less rounded.

Kind regards. Mark
Thank you Mark,

You'll notice I placed a discreet question mark ie. DGF? (just in case). I had noticed the sex brands, as a matter of interest do you know if Dark Green Fritillary also show these sex brands as clearly as High Brown???

Your confirmation HBF puts my count up to ten! Post has been duly edited :wink:

My Regards,
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Bill,

To answer your question:
Willrow wrote:As a matter of interest do you know if Dark Green Fritillary also show these sex brands as clearly as High Brown?
They are present but far less obvious.

Kind regards. Mark
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Appreciate the information Mark, my thanks.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Phil (PhiliB),
Just noticed that you nailed a Black Hairstreak too (pretty sure I know which leaf it's on! :wink: ). Another epic shot. Glad that Nick's stay-away memory card didn't take the shine off the experience :lol: .
BWs, Neil
NickB

Post by NickB »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Phil (PhiliB),
Just noticed that you nailed a Black Hairstreak too (pretty sure I know which leaf it's on! :wink: ). Another epic shot. Glad that Nick's stay-away memory card didn't take the shine off the experience :lol: .
BWs, Neil
No sugar-spray or similar beverage was used in the production of that picture!
Hence they didn't stay-down - and Phil was quick! (I got back with my other camera and was about to press the shutter when it decided to move-off. That happened twice!!!!!)
But you may be sure that those tactics may be used on subsequent outings :wink:
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Sightings”