Reverdin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Reverdin

Post by David M »

Lovely images, Reverdin.

I'd absolutely love to see this form of the species.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks David... it is a little gem, worth a trip :D

Here's another shot from today...
IMG_9675_edited-1.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great stuff Paul. I really need to get north soon :mrgreen:

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Rev :D :mrgreen: Now how can I convince the rest of my family that a trip up North is necessary :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

IAC

Post by IAC »

Superb Paul!! I was down there myself today from about 2.30 this afternoon it was quite a spectacle with the Small Copper and Wall Brown now heavily outnumbered . Just glad you had a great day.

Iain.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks chaps.... hey if anyone does the long trek north (east), get in touch, I'm always up for a day out :D ..... and Ian... sorry I missed you.... hope you enjoyed it as mch as I did :D :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

not a butterfly... but my wildflower patch today....
IMG_9830.jpg
:D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Finally the new season is underway up here. Wall to wall blue sky, and following the Commas, Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells which have been braving things for a while, today bought the first Orange Tips ( 2 males and 2 females) and Green-veined Whites.
So to celebrate....
IMG_web2200_edited-1.jpg
Canon 7D AE mode 1/800 f9.0 iso125 exp comp -1/3 EF100mm Macro

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

A trip out for our local rubi provided a couple of decent images, the white spotting being a bit off white in a couple of them this year, no idea why. Also a rather pleasant bird encounter, excuse the poor quality, using a macro lens for bird photos is a bit hopeless :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Paul
Impressed with both the GH and the Ring Ouzel. How close did you get? I used to see them on Exmoor, but they seem to have gone now - sad.
Good to see your season has got off to a good start.
I spent the weekend at Marsland and had some excellent PBF encounters.
See you soon.

Roger

Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

That was from about 30 feet away.... never had one let me that close before.... think I dragged myself across every moorland thistle on my way though :roll:

PBFs a bit of a way off for me yet. Hope U both well

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

More Green Hairstreaks today... 2 reasons.. firstly I love them, secondly, there's not much else to see here at the moment. :D :(

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Just wandered round the garden at dusk, and ended up gazing into the leaves of our two 20 foot Elms, Sapporo Gold, I planted some approx. 7 years ago. Whilst wondering which moth catty was creating all those ragged leaves, my eyes settled on first one, then a second slug like silhouette - low enough down to confirm White-letter Hairstreak has arrived, and all on it's own, no help from me (promise :D ) - If I can see two, how many more might there be... I just hope they survive the feeding birds. Sort of thing I had hoped for, and indeed planted the trees for... yay!
First Small Copper of the year for me last week.... and on my wild patch..... yay again!
Lastly, a couple of shots of the sort of mundane stuff you are all bored with now this year....
140511  P. napi NZ202003  2762_edited-1.jpg
IMG_2957_edited-1.jpg

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Paul
Brilliant news about the White-letter Hairstreak.
Is it worth while rearing one, protected from predators, in a sleeve?
Just a thought.

Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Hi Roger
I now see three ! I will just let nature take it's course.... I really would love this to become a regular habitat for them, but if it's going to, it needs to be naturally viable.... imagine sitting back with a cold one in the garden, contemplating WLH's going about their life with the thought they arrived 'cos I provided the trees. :D
Here's a pic from tonight....
IMG_2988_edited-1.jpg
IMG_2991_edited-1.jpg
Isn't that camouflage just brilliant !

Incidentally, Sapporo Gold seems to flower very early here, compared to Wych Elm. Mine have been flowering for 4 years now but the last 3 years, all the flowers destroyed by frost... this year has been so mild they were maintained to point of seed. I hope this won't mean the larvae will be wiped out in future years by more normal weather. I have put 2 Wych Elm by their side, as bought as "Bonzai's" at a very local Garden Centre.... They are now 10 foot and growing, but not yet at flowering maturity.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's a brilliant thing you've done, Paul. And fantastic pictures of the cats, too. The pupae are difficult to find but with a cold thing, a pair of binoculars and a nice sunny evening you should be able to scan every twig and leaf ...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Cheers Guy, I will be unable to resist looking!!!..... the remains of many of the flowers, husk like now, are really really WLH pupa like, and it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.... just reminds you how wonderfully the pupa mimics the host.

Oh, and one very lucky WLH larvae to have found you, wasn't he/ she. One more butterfly to grace our planet hopefully :D

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

fourth WLH catty now visible, I know it is number 4 'cos it's on the other tree!

One of the others has positioned itself on the upperside of a small leaf, looking like it has loosely pulled in an overhanging leaf, and is turning colour to pupate. So it's not aimed for the old flowerbud husks I thought it might. Will try to photo it tomorrow, too dark this eve.

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Hmmm... all disappeared, including the one about to pupate.... I suspected they had been swept up by birds, but today, on scouring the branches yet again, I found this.....
( Blooming difficult to photograph, so forgive the shortcomings!!! :roll: )
IMG_w3150_edited-1.jpg
IMG_w3160_edited-1.jpg
So all is NOT lost... yay!

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think those are superb photos, Paul! And I agree, yay!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”