Smelly butterflies

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Susie

Smelly butterflies

Post by Susie »

943039_611947792156549_1509951538_n.jpg
"Did you know some butterflies smell like CAKE?

These long wing scales are called androconia, and are found on male butterfly wings. The scent is created to attract females, which they may 'blow' onto a resting female by fluttering above her."

Does anyone know if this applies to UK butterflies too?
millerd

Re: Smelly butterflies

Post by millerd »

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the UK butterfly list smells of chocolate - or did I dream this? :? Meadow Brown?

Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The Green-veined White showers the female during courtship with a scent likened to lemon verbena, strong enough to be sensed by humans. (ref. Thomas & Lewington, 2010)

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the UK butterfly list smells of chocolate - or did I dream this? :? Meadow Brown?
Wall Brown....and it's true. I put that theory to the test several times when I was a kid and used to catch them.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

funnily enough I was just reading about these scent scales yesterday, with my internet problems I went to a local book exchange and picked up "Butterfly Watching" by Paul Whalley for £2.50. Also picked up "the World of Butterflies an illustrated encyclopedia" for £3 which looks to have chapters on just about everything.

Chris

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”