Captive Breeding

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
TedP

Captive Breeding

Post by TedP »

Having just obtained a device to convert slides to digital, thought this series might be of interest- originals taken many years ago before legal protection. My wife used to take school parties to a Norfolk centre where the marshmen (reedcutters) would give her the occasional chrysalis which they had rescued. We had virtually 100% success and would release the adults at the same site the following spring.
It does enable otherwise almost impossible pics.
TedP.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lovely pictures! Maybe they didn't need legal protection when the marshmen looked after them...

I've helped school children rear butterflies and moths too - it can be a very significant experience for them, seeing the wonder and vulnerability of the whole process. Providing the insects are respected and treated as ends in themselves, not as means to an end (learning, or worse, some ghastly Key Stage) everyone benefits.

Guy
TedP

Post by TedP »

Not sure about that. I've always wondered how many got destroyed during reedcutting - not much chance of survival once the bundle of reeds is part of a thatched roof!
In fact many of the marshmen used to rescue the chrysalises, keep them over winter and release the adult.

Another pic follows.
TedP

TedP

Post by TedP »

javascript:emoticon(':oops:')Sorry - its a duplicate!

Return to “Photography”