June 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
kevling

Re: June 2013

Post by kevling »

Drove from Ipswich to Beds/Bucks on Saturday on the Met Office promise of sunny weather. Unfortunately it changed and I did'nt see the sun until mid afternoon. Coupled with a strong cool breeze, our little friends were not too keen to put in an appearance. The only one species in good numbers at all sites were Small Heath (c80 for the day).Tottenhoe Knolls/Quarry delivered a single Common Blue & Green Vein White, whilst at Bison Hill, Whipsnade I faired slightly better with a handful of Dingy Skippers. It was very windy at Ivinghoe Beacon, but I did spend 15 minutes in the company of my beloved Orange Tip (Nice for 8th June !).
Determind not to give up, I visited Pitsone Quarry for my target species of the day, Small Blue. The sun finally came out to play and so did the blues. A handful of Small Blues were seen, a first for me and approx 30 Common Blues too. All in an area the size of a football penalty area. Some of the Common Blues were such an electric blue colour, I thought from a distance they were Adonis, but I don't think they fly in that area. Hope you enjoy the attached pics. The best I could do in breezy conditions.

Regards Kev
Attachments
Small Blue 3.jpg
Small Blue 2.jpg
Small Blue 1.jpg
Common Blue 3.jpg
Common Blue 2.jpg
Common Blue 1.jpg
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

DSC05037.JPG
Mine was another visit to Odd Down park& Ride for the Small Blue and there were several in flight.
Attachments
DSC05096.JPG
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

There were 6 Glanvilles at Bonchurch esplanade this evening and plenty of Adonis blues at both Bonchurch and Brading Downs earlier.
I have tried to emulate Guy Padfield with a habitat shot of the Glanville fritillary. :)
Ian
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1140899.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1140941.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Spent between 2pm and 4pm at Crymlyn Burrows today.

Saw my first Large Skippers of the year (both looked beautifully fresh).

Small Blue, Small Heath & Common Blue still abundant, Orange Tips hanging on in there, and even a Marsh Fritillary (which I'm sure must be an illegal release).

Totals seen:

Small Blue 60-80
Small Heath 50-70
Common Blue 50-70
Green Veined White 10-15
Dingy Skipper 10-15
Orange Tip 3
Large White 2
Large Skipper 2
Marsh Fritillary 1
Speckled Wood 1
Brown Argus 1
Small Copper 1
Small White 1

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I love the way you've captured that sheen on the Adonis Ian. I'm struggling to find butterflies in a reasonable proximity this year and places that are normally teeming with butterflies are producing an apologetic 2 or 3 (apart from Small Heath which are everywhere!). I'm very much doubting that I'll see a Glanville this year, for sure!
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thanks Pauline. Here are some roosting common blues taken at Luccombe this evening with a speckled wood from yesterday. :)
Attachments
03-Pratt-Ian--IMG_1741.jpg
02-Pratt-Ian--IMG_1735.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1140868.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--IMG_1719.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, South Wales. Yesterday and today was spent in the much enjoyed company of fellow UK Butterflyers PhilB and Rosalyn who are having a break in the area and decided to take in a visit to the Grasslands to see the Marsh Fritillary and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Both species were in excellent numbers, many were freshly emerged and in 'mint condition', Phil and Rosalyn are keen photographers and took full advantage to take home to Peterborough the fruits of their photographic skills. Phil must have been a little frustrated to have to finish off some work today not too far from the reserve, so Rosalyn and myself had a morning at the reserve in very helpful light conditions and we both managed to get some pleasing (and well deserved :wink: ) images.

The Marsh Fritillary are out in their hundreds at present, while we also had an estimated 40+ Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary to enjoy. At this point I must thank Rosalyn for her sharp eyesight, while Phil and myself were concentrating on the Marsh Fritillary she noticed a micro moth on the bracken that turned out to be Anania funebris which is a Nationally Scarce (Category A Micro Moth), and I've been hoping to see this species for a long time, what a great find, I'm really delighted to have actually seen it almost in my own backyard :) your a 'superstar' Ros!!!

Sunday saw loads of visitors on the reserve and it was nice to make the acquaintance of another UK Butterflyer, Ian Leach and his wife who had traveled down from Nottingham, arriving at 6.30am to catch a few photographs of the roosting butterflies :shock: now that's dedication for you. I'm pleased your visit was successful Ian and hope we meet again sometime.

It's been a really lovely couple of days butterflying with Phil and Rosalyn, and I've especially enjoyed the information exchange and shared butterflying experiences...Oh!!!...and the weather has been kind for us too 8)

Bill :D
Attachments
The low light helped with the Marsh Fritillary image taking
The low light helped with the Marsh Fritillary image taking
The Bluebells are still full of nectar!!!
The Bluebells are still full of nectar!!!
Bracken fronds are ideal Marsh Fritillary perching places
Bracken fronds are ideal Marsh Fritillary perching places
Marsh Fritillary nectaring on Orchid
Marsh Fritillary nectaring on Orchid
Anania funebris a real great find by Roslyn
Anania funebris a real great find by Roslyn
Open winged display Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Open winged display Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary
Going to roost...
Going to roost...
Last edited by Willrow on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Sunday 9th
My concerns expressed for the lack of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary were put ot bed after Wurzel that texted me to say they were now out at Bentley - a place I love to visit in the spring :D . Optimism that this would somehow extend to Glanville Fritillaries showing up at Wrecclesham were a little premature though. On a cool and cloudy Sunday morning (10:30) I didn't see any butterflies let alone Glanvilles. However I did to hear again the massed chorus of croaking (Marsh?) frogs and to see this large Drinker moth caterpillar :D .
Drinker larva, Wrecclesham
Drinker larva, Wrecclesham
A hour or so later and I met up with Wurzel and his daughters at Bentley and later bumped into fellow UKB'er CJB (and his mobile phone :wink: ) who was having his first visit to Bentley and was very enthusiastic about what was on display - as you'd expect at this great site :) . One of his photos of a female Brimstone in fight was a real capture 8)

Wurzel had been there for some time and hand managed to get sightings of Pearl and Small Pearls and plenty of good shots off when it was cooler. By the time I arrived the sun was out and everything was well solar charged. The fritillaries spent most of the time on the wing and little time settling. For a change I set my camera up with a small aperture F18 (usually work around F 11) for large depth of field. However I'm not convinced this was a good move because a 'cluttered' (if more natural) background sometimes detracts from the butterfly and fails to get the best out of the macro :? .
Pearl bordered. Faded colouration a good identifying key when on the wing
Pearl bordered. Faded colouration a good identifying key when on the wing
Small Pearl-bordered. Much fresher and brighter
Small Pearl-bordered. Much fresher and brighter
Small Pearl
Small Pearl
Small Pearl on Ragged Robin
Small Pearl on Ragged Robin
Dukes seen year on year in small numbers in Bentley
Dukes seen year on year in small numbers in Bentley
As well as the fritillaries there were other insects to see:-
Bee Fly
Bee Fly
Brown Silver-line motb
Brown Silver-line motb
Mother Shipton moth - more common on Chalk grassland?
Mother Shipton moth - more common on Chalk grassland?
Broad-bodied Chaser. Often seen at Bentley
Broad-bodied Chaser. Often seen at Bentley
(others seen were Brimstone, Argent and Sable moth; and Green-veined White) :D .

Finally an unexpected treat, especially for my daughter was this fallow deer fawn, keeping very still in the sedge :o :D . After a minute looking and taking a few pictures we left it in peace.
'Bambi' in the grass, relying on camouflage and stillness
'Bambi' in the grass, relying on camouflage and stillness
L 2013.06.09 IMG_2596 Fallow Deer fawn. Bentley Wood.jpg
Phil
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Philzoid,

Awesome pictures! I love the fawn; where was that?! Thank you for your compliments on the fluky inflight shot! However I am light years behind you and Wurzel.

Good luck with the Durham Argus! Don't mind admitting that I had to look that one up (:oops:) and can recommend that you look for the 'Castle Eden Dene Argus' as well! :wink:

All the best and flutter on!

CJB
Podster

Post by Podster »

Finglandrigg
No not somewhere in Scandinavia but a quality site up North that rarely gets a mention on these forums.
Last week in glorious sunshine I had the pleasure of watching 10+ Marsh Fritillaries going about their business.
Attachments
DSCN3986 (640x524).jpg
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

Last night i visited Bishop's Hill in Warwickshire in search of roosting Common Blues. The site is most famous for it's thriving Small Blue colony and as i arrived i saw many settling down in the tall grasses. The hill itself was awash with Oxeye Daises and Kidney Vetch and within five minutes i found my first roosting Common Blues, two males and a female. I walked to the top of the hill and discovered another seven specimens which i thought was pretty good considering the disastrous summer of last year.

I returned early this morning and was amazed to find 30+ Common Blues as well as halve a dozen Small Heaths

Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

Last night i visited Bishop's Hill in Warwickshire in search of roosting Common Blues. The site is most famous for it's thriving Small Blue colony and as i arrived i saw many settling down in the tall grasses. The hill itself was awash with Oxeye Daises and Kidney Vetch and within five minutes i found my first roosting Common Blues, two males and a female. I walked to the top of the hill and discovered another seven specimens which i thought was pretty good considering the disastrous summer of last year.

I returned early this morning and was amazed to find 30+ Common Blues as well as halve a dozen Small Heaths.
Common Blue7.jpg
Common Blue8.jpg
Common Blues2.jpg
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Late evening visit (yesterday) to Aberbargoed Grasslands NNR, Gwent to see the roosting fritillary, a few offered too good a chance of a photograph to resist...well could you :shock: I took several before a combination of brisk breeze and low light ended further chances, yet both Marsh Fritillary and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary were posing well enough for the two images shown to be a record of a pleasant June evening.

Bill :D
Attachments
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary roosting on rush stem
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary roosting on rush stem
Marsh Fritillary posing on bracken frond
Marsh Fritillary posing on bracken frond
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
EricY

Re: June 2013 at last a bit of warmth in Norfolk

Post by EricY »

Took a chance on weather forecast today to visit Strumshaw. Windy AM & not overly warm so nothing flying. PM sun came out & it warmed up considerably. Trotted off down the lane towards the Doctors gdn & first found the Norfolk Hawker DF, then 3 Swallowtails in the garden & reports of more on the Lackford run. Doctor came out & erected his sign as it had not been out because so few Swallowtails were about. Couple of photos attached that some might not like because of the background but it does set the place in context. Eric
Norfolk Hawker
Norfolk Hawker
5d Swallowtail - Papilio machaon britannicus.jpg
5c Two Swallowtails.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Well, I like those images, Eric. Not many Swallowtail shots coming in so far this year so thanks for bucking the trend.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just catching up on this thread, some cracking images being posted :D

Neil F.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

David M wrote:Well, I like those images, Eric. Not many Swallowtail shots coming in so far this year so thanks for bucking the trend.
Seconded. Smashing images :!:

Are Swallowtails likely to be around for a few more weeks ... I'm getting itchy feet
Ian Pratt

Helianthemum blue

Post by Ian Pratt »

Lonely Adonis blue taken today above the Afton chalkpit amongst helianthemums. :)
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1140999.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Stunning emperor dragonfly at Walters Copse today also for those who like vibrant colours! :D
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1140984.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1140978.jpg
A_T

Post by A_T »

Hardly any Speckled Woods so far this year anyone else finding this? Last year was a poor one for them too.

Return to “Sightings”