Scottish Assistance please and Philzoid

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
CJB

Scottish Assistance please and Philzoid

Post by CJB »

Good Morning Philzoid and all UK B'ers,

I like your thought process Philzoid! Being the novice that I am I was unsure about the exact species you were after as I have not heard of the 'Durham Argus', but while you are there keep an eye out for a 'Castle Eden Dene Argus', which, of course I had heard of............ :?

However, on a separate thread, could those of you with experience of Scotland give me some heads up as to local species I am likely see and where they might be in relation to the Trossachs and any tips, other than pack a mozzy net and an umbrella :lol:

I am hoping to see Scotch Argus, Large Heath, Mountain Ringlet, which would all be lifers and be crackers to get on the mobile. :roll:
Chuck in some fritillaries and it should be amazing!

I am going up at the end of July.

I am exceedingly grateful to those of you that can spare a moment or two to help me.

Flutter on!

CJB
ScottD

Re: Scottish Assistance please and Philzoid

Post by ScottD »

where exactly in the Trossachs will you be & for how long?
Presumably you have a car?
May I suggest as a starter http://www.southwestscotland-butterflie ... ndex.shtml
Last edited by ScottD on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave brown

Re: Scottish Assistance please and Philzoid

Post by dave brown »

Perhaps someone from Scotland with far more local knowledge will reply. In the meantime, assuming that you don't mind travelling a little way, then Ben Lawers is probably the nearest site for Mountain Ringlet. Normally I would say that late July is at the very end of their flight period, but this year is strange with regards flight times. The Dark Green Fritillary, which I have seen in good numbers here in mid July, as you ascend from the visitors centre. The first ones being within a few hundred metres of the steep climb. I have not seen Large Heath here, but I would imagine they are present, although their flight period would normally be over in late July.
I know that you get Scotch Argus around the Keltneyburn Reserve, and very late July is a good time for the early emerges. I do not know if there is a closer site.
dave

Return to “Sites”