Cerne Giant Hill

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
David Tipping

Cerne Giant Hill

Post by David Tipping »

I visited Cerne Giant Hill on August 13 while on holiday in Dorset, hoping to see my first adonis blue. Unfortunately I never had a sniff, though there were plenty of chalkhill and common blue on the wing, along with various other species. My information suggested that mid-August should have been comfortably into the flight season for the second brood, so where were they?

I would be interested to hear from anyone that knows the site. Was I just unlucky? Is it worth revisiting at a future date or are there better sites for adonis in Dorset?
DJT
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Hi Dave
According to "Discover Butterflies in Britain" Durlston Country Park is a good site in Dorset for Adonis Blue. I went there earlier in the year to look for Lulworth skippers and it a great place to visit, but I don't know if there are any Adonis flying yet
Dave
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Dave, hard luck on the Adonis, having the same problem with the Wall Brown. Within 4 miles from our home in west Hampshire we have 3 good sites for the Adonis. Broughton Down is very good for the first brood, as they are concentrated in one area, but I haven't been up there to check out the second brood. Danebury hill only has small numbers, but the site is small so your chances are good. Stockbridge Down is a large site but we found one yesterday without much trouble. If you get no luck in Dorset give us a try, I'm happy to guide you if needed. :wink:

Gruditch
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Thanks Dave and Gruditch, I'll mark those sites down for a possible return next year.

Gruditch, I did actually see a wall brown at the top of the beach at Sidmouth - only a singleton though so it probably isn't worth making a special journey.
DJT
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Dave's we are having a day out at Durlston Country Park tomorrow, ( 1st of Sept ) will let you know if we see any Adonis Blue. :wink:

Gruditch
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Yep Dozens of them :D

Gruditch

Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Cracking image Gary :)
Regards Mike
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Yes, really good image, well done.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Cheers Dave, cheers Mike, I loved your Brown hairstreak pics by the way Mike. :)

Gruditch

Return to “Sites”