N.Wales and Shropshire

Discussion forum for sightings.
Ian Pratt

N.Wales and Shropshire

Post by Ian Pratt »

Apart from the places shown on the sites pages, where are the best butterfly sites for N.Wales (Harlech) and Shropshire(Oswestry) in late June/early July?
Ian
David M

Re: N.Wales and Shropshire

Post by David M »

For Shropshire, at that time of year you should see Large Heath at Whixhall or Bettisfield Moss and Silver Studded Blue at Prees Heath.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

There is a population of Silver-studded Blue, allegedly subspecies masseyi, at Hafod Garregog NNR.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~zool0376/PargusAnimalConserv.pdf
kevling

Post by kevling »

Ian,

Prees Heath for Silver Studded Blues

Llanymynech Rocks,just south of Oswestry is a great reserve. Went there at the weekend (report on June sighting page). Numbers of Wall Brown should increase during June and the Pearl Bordered Frits are late this spring, so may be a handful left.

Eyarth Rocks, near Ruthin is also worth consideration. Dark Green Frits will be out soon and they are known to frequent the Butterfly Conservation Reserve there.

Happy hunting

Kev
A_T

Post by A_T »

I'm luck enough to have a good spot near Oswestry on my way home from work - Lynclys Common. Saw this fellow just a couple of hours ago. There are Silver-washed there too in July.

Morfa Harlech is a wonderful place. Later in the summer the dunes are full of Dark Green Fritillaries. May and June there are Small Pearl-Bordered and reportedly Marsh Fritillaries though I haven't personally seen the latter.

This is a great site for North Wales butterflies: http://www.trawsgoed.com/nwleps.aspx
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I went to Prees Heath for Silver studded Blue and Whixall Moss for Large Heath last year, reports start on page 10 of my personal diary. Both great sites even though the weather was a bit 'iffy' when we went.

Neil F.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

A couple of mintues away from Prees Heath is Brown Moss Nature reserve and I have photographed Orange tips, Peacocks, Small Coppers, various whites.

I called in at Prees Heath 2 weekends ago and photographed two small coppers as small as my thumb nail, but in beautiful condition.

As well as the SSB I have seen Brimstones, O Tips, Small Heaths, Burnet Moth, Peacocks, Ringlets, Meadows B, Hedgebrowns, various whites, common blue, small coppers and a lovely yellow hammer and just incase you get hungry the fish bar down the road does good quality takeaways style food to eat in or out.

http://www.woodlanereserve.co.uk/preesheathevents.htm - see this for organised events.

Debbie

Return to “Sightings”