Peloponesse

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Reverdin

Peloponesse

Post by Reverdin »

Kalispera !

I'm sitting in a bar with a Biera, reading about Swiss snow, and couldn't resist an early taster of what I hope will be a reasonable report to follow once I'm home.

A week spent one hour south by car from Kalamata on the coast. The weather here has been ok :D with temperatures between 18 and 30c

I haven't worked out a species count yet, and have had some disappointments, and some surprises, but would thoroughly recommend it!!! The Taygetos range of mountains seem extraordinarily difficult to get into from where I am, and I have missed all the rarities I think. :?

Anyway, for now, here is a cameo of two species, Satyriae acaciae and ilicis.....
ilicis
ilicis
acaciae
acaciae
much more to come in due time :D hope you like them !!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Peloponesse

Post by Padfield »

If that's just the hors d'oeuvre I'm salivating for the main dish, Rev! I don't think I'll be seeing any Satyrium in the near future ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Seconded Guy - Paul, I hope I can get internet whilst I am away as I can't wait to see your pictures.
Possible venue for a LOTSW trip?

Roger
Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

oops - try again :oops:
Last edited by Reverdin on Tue May 28, 2013 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

First Impressions

Our destination was one hour south of Kalamata airport, on the western edge of the Taygetos range of mountains. We arrived late afternoon after a single stop at a dusty roadside pull-in. By the end of this, and having walked around the town I had already counted 12 species... Ilex Hairstreak and Southern White Admiral at the roadside, then Cleopatra, Clouded Yellow, Small Skipper, Geranium Bronze ( yes it has definitely reached Greece!), Small White, Brimstone, Scarce and Machaon Swallowtail, Holly Blue, and Long Tailed Blue after arrival. These were just wandering through the town, unfortunately the LTBs were at the tops of exuberantly tall type of Broome bushes and would not behave to have any photos. :roll: Settling in with a meal and a few beers took up the evening as the butterflies settled down. :wink:
IMG_8570_edited-1.jpg
Day one.
Having settled in, the morning broke cloudlessly, and warm. My intention was to find some good walking through promising territory into the mountains, the foot hills of which were only about one mile inland. The roads were narrow, twisty and therefore very slow, so it took a while to reach the small hamlet of Kastania, characterfully old with narrow lanes and old churches.
IMG_8500_edited-1.jpg
We took a steep uphill walk past small and rustic cultivated plots with flowery verges and intermittent dappled shade. A short way into the walk we were greeted by a Southern White Admiral in all it's indigo glory, which floated up and down the road before graciously allowing it's photo to be taken. :D
130520  L. reducta  8346_edited-1.jpg
A Southern Comma likewise provided tantalizing views, but was too interested in cruising to allow the luxury of a photo. :? Walking on, even Small Whites and Meadow Browns were worthy of study, in case they turned out to be more exotic Greek cousins..... Small White, maybe Southern, but Meadow Brown just that, even if a bit more flambuoyant than our own.
hopefully Southern Small
hopefully Southern Small
130520  M.jpg
A little further on and another first encounter, Orbed Red Underwing Skipper, photos taken but unworthy of posting, in favour of better ones later in the holiday. Lulworth Skipper were not uncommon among the Small Skippers which although examined wherever possible never proved to be the Essex variety.
130520  T.jpg
Towards the apex of our first sojourn was another first.. Southern Grayling, again larger and brighter than our own variety. Common Blues and Brown Arguses seemed to be the sole Lycaenids on offer, always checked where possible for more exoticness, always with hopes being dashed. Still, beautiful creatures in their own right. To correct myself, Hairstreaks were frequent small dark visitors, Ilex most common, a few Sloe, and a Green Hairstreak. Finally, a last new species for me on this walk, the sort of expected Oriental Marbled Skipper... rather nice !!
130520  H. aristaeus  8408_edited-1.jpg
130520  C.jpg
After feeling like we hardly dented the Taygetos, we re-traced our steps slowly to the car and returned to town for lunch. Hot, hot, hot, hot....... the weather, not the lunch. The Supermarket flower bed.... something of an oxymoron for good old Yorkshire, was attractive to an Eastern Bath White, which loved the flowers, not something I had expected to "pick up" at the shop !! The locals I believe were somewhat alarmed at the sight of me taking it's photo.... who cares, I won't see them again !. :lol:
130520  .jpg
We drove south in the afternoon, trying to get a feel for distances and travel times... it soon and sadly became apparent a day trip to Chelmos was unrealistic. :( We ended up at another beach, at Neo Itilo, not very picturesque, with half built abandoned looking concrete buildings, somewhat similar to other coastal towns we visited. The up-side was the abundant wasteground, which of course attracts butterflies. Eastern Bath Whites and Swallowtails wandered around the thistles, and Skippers including Mallow Skipper buzzed around.
IMG_8549_edited-1.jpg
IMG_8568_edited-1.jpg
Daylist - to include arrival afternoon. New Species to me in bold.
Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Small White
Southern Small White (?)
Eastern Bath White
Clouded Yellow
Cleopatra
Brimstone
Orange Tip
Ilex Hairstreak
Sloe Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
Geranium Bronze
Brown Argus
Long-tailed Blue
Lang's Short-tailed Blue
Common Blue
Holly Blue
Nettle Tree Butterfly
Southern White Admiral
Southern Comma
Glanville Fritillary
Meadow Brown
Wall
Large Wall
Southern Grayling
Small Heath
Mallow Skipper
Small Skipper
Lulworth Skipper
Orbed Red Underwing Skipper
Oriental Marbled Skipper
Last edited by Reverdin on Tue May 28, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Phenomenal range of species there.

You are making me desperate to get to Austria in July where I can indulge myself likewise.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Hi David
Yes, quite a few, with more to come on other days - I'm sure Austria will be fantastic, and I want to go there one day for an Erebia-fest hopefully. You still have it all ahead, that's the best bit for you :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Fantastic pictures and report - and you can't imagine how much I'd have liked to join you for this trip!! Well, perhaps you can, if you've glanced at my own diary ... :D

I hope you won't mind my suggesting that Eastern Bath white wasn't a lifer for you. The western limit of this species includes Switzerland and I'm pretty sure you've seen Bath whites with me here. If not, then it probably was a lifer!

Guy

PS - that looks very good for male mannii to me. I'd count it!
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I truly wish you had been with me Guy.... we'd have had a ball !!!

I'm sure you're right about the edusa but "knowingly" is the key for me here :lol: - can you tell them apart ?, the books suggest not. Also, does that look like mannii to you, and the orientalis, ?, I'm never as sure as it seems. :D

Yet to come, some Gegenes queries, and my first ever propper encounter with polychlorus.... still have some images to "develop".

(edit) - thanks for the mannii confirmation, accepted with glee :D
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Edusa is a postcode butterfly. You can't tell them apart without violence (and even then it's biochemical, not morphological, from what I understand) so you just have to trust the maps. These are relatively consistent, given the lack of data from many regions - the dividing line runs from north-west to south-east, from Brittany to the south of France, with Italy and Switzerland hosting only edusa. Daplidice is essentially an Iberian and North African species, extending into part of France (and via eastern North Africa into the Middle East).

So I reckon you could have called an armchair tick for your Swiss sightings - but as you say, it's much better to be aware of it at the time!

I'm pretty confident you're right with the mannii and agree with orientalis too, though I'd like to see an underside to be sure. It's not alceae and seems unlike flocciferus from the Alps so orientalis is certainly my best bet.

Guy
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day two
Today, armed with a book about walks in the area, I was attracted to one named "Three Grassy Meadows". This started from the small village of Thalames, conveniently on the main road. The walk led us uphill again, starting at 460m and defeating us at 575m with a wired off pathway which we weren't inclined to ignore. Unfortunately, we hadn't even reached the first grassy meadow. To be fair, we hadn't exactly followed the route suggested, as it looked at a crucial point as if we were to navigate a dried up waterfall with rather large boulders huddled in the gully.... not for me these days. The scenery was somewhat different, and there were some small photographic victories.
IMG_8680_edited-1.jpg
Notable sightings were the sole Blue-spot Hairstreak of the trip which I did not manage to photograph. A Long-tailed Blue gave open winged display, just out of lens distance. Southern Comma this time allowed some photos and Southern Grayling were again in evidence.
Southern Comma
Southern Comma
Southern Comma
Southern Comma
Southern Grayling
Southern Grayling
A Small White allowed a photo, not something I find commonly happens, and a smart male Meadow Brown also obliged.
Small White
Small White
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown

Perhaps the most remarkable thing up to that point was this superb final instar Spurge Hawk Cattie.
IMG_8584_edited-1.jpg
Species success was late coming, when unmistakably, my first ever Lattice Brown floated by and this time settled to sip lazily from a blackened sap run on one of the huge yellow Verbascums scattered around. It even allowed me to tweak the leaves and stem to improve the angle, the resultant photos not absolutely right, but as another first, much appreciated. A Southern White Admiral also seemed to enjoy the same plant.
Lattice Brown
Lattice Brown
Southern White Admiral
Southern White Admiral
After turning back, almost immediately a small dark skipper shot by. After some difficult following, it did allow photos, although with the sun directly overhead, the lighting was not at it's best, and I do not do flash. I think (hope) this was a Pigmy Skipper... please confirm/ debunk if you can.
? Pigmy Skipper
? Pigmy Skipper

After a Taverna stop in Thalames, and walks through a couple more villages we drove north to investigate another branch of yesterday's road, to an area called Saidona. Our first stop was on a corner, where a dozen beehives stood.
IMG_8790_edited-1.jpg
A short 50m walk produced a couple more photo opportunities. The only Queen of Spain was here, a fresh male, also Brown Argus and Orbed Red Underwing Skipper.
Queen of Spain Fritillary
Brown Argus
Brown Argus

Finally, a mating pair of Oriental Marbled Skippers showed quite significant colour differences between the pair.
Oriental Marbled Skippers - pair
Oriental Marbled Skippers - pair
The road we hoped to take was not up to the hire car's needs ( unless Rogerdodge had been with us and driving, in which case we could have done it at 90mph, :wink: :D ). We walked again and the by now familiar dusty road was of only moderate interest, but tempted return to see what lay beyond our limit of the time.
IMG_8683_edited-1.jpg

Daylist Day two.

Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Black Veined White
Large White
Small White
Eastern Bath White
Clouded Yellow
Cleopatra
Sloe Hairstreak
Ilex Hairstreak
Blue Spot Hairstreak
Small Copper
Long-tailed Blue
Geranium Bronze
Brown Argus
Common Blue
Nettle Tree Butterfly
Southern White Admiral
Southern Comma
Glanville Fritillary
Southern Grayling
Meadow Brown
Small Heath
Wall
Large Wall
Lattice Brown
Mallow Skipper
Oriental Marbled Skipper
Pigmy Skipper (?)
Grizzled Skipper
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Lovely report: brings back ace memories of my trip last summer. Re. Taygetos specialities, you may be a little early in the season yet, esp. for the blues and coppers? Do you have the Anavasi maps for Taygetos? They might help you get some more species maybe - finding some more plausible sites, though info I have is for the eastern side of the mountain. Local bookshops often have these good maps, which are excellent.
Re. trips further afield, why not try Mt. Mainalo? 2hrs north from where you are, roughly, (just north west of Tripolis). This was one of my favourite destinations, and I saw species here I didn't get on Chelmos. A nice smooth tarmaced road takes you right into the heart of the mountain if you follow signs for the Ski Centre.
Cheers,
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff! I particularly like the southern comma. I don't think I've seen an image of one posted on here before.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks David, I think I can provide a few more Southern Comma photos yet :wink:

Incidentally, the best image of this species IMHO is on Roger Gibbons site... http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html ... 20egea.htm

co-incidentally, his Overseas subject has just been replied to in the last couple of days, well worth a browse !

(edit)

I've just seen your reply Davef.... fantastic advice, thank you and I will check all that out, sadly for future use now. Maybe a little early... yep, that's the conclusion I came to as well, but I had no idea really when to choose, or what I would see... maybe early June next year :?
Last edited by Reverdin on Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Day three.

Further exploration of the foothills of the Taygetos led us to Milea, another old village split into lower, middle and upper parts perched on the steep hillsides. Here we parked and followed another walk from our book.. After starting easily it led through extremely overgrown lush vegetation in a manner such that we were never sure we were on the right path.
IMG_8957_edited-1.jpg
IMG_8846_edited-1.jpg

Upwards it led, and rather un-nerved we stopped by a dry stream bed several metres to our right. At this point I saw my first ever Large Tortoiseshell. :shock: Initially settled below, and totally unmistakable, it spooked and left majestically over the trees :( . Not a sniff of a photo opportunity, leaving me personally breathless.... being the last species occurring in the UK I had never seen at least somewhere in the world. :D

We battled on after a forlorn five minute wait to see if it would return, just as we were about to turn back, we opened out onto a dusty gravel road. It was tolerably certain this would eventually lead us back to the village, so we followed it as it meandered gradually downwards along the hillside.
IMG_8844.jpg
This whole road was better for butterflies overall, and I managed shots of female Cleopatra, Scarce Swallowtail and Ilex Hairstreak again.
female Cleopatra
female Cleopatra
Scarce Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Ilex Hairstreak
Ilex Hairstreak
A dark butterfly on a scabious caught my eye, Nettle Tree Butterfly, and well behaved as well.. bettered my previous effort with this species by a country mile. :D
Nettle Tree Butterfly
Nettle Tree Butterfly
In the afternoon I ventured alone to the previous day's Saidona site, determined to climb higher towards the elusive tree line. After a relatively barren first mile, the track ran into broken woodland, where, as I've noticed before, sightings came in little groups, with bare stretches in between.
Another Southern Grayling, Small Copper and Brown Argus allowed close approach.
Southern Grayling
Southern Grayling
Small Copper
Small Copper
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
The first highlight came with a couple of what I reckon are "nailed on" Chapman's Blues, something I have sought to photograph before rather unsuccessfully, indeed losing my previous misdiagnosed male to Escher's. Well I reckon these are Chapman's. :D
Chapman's Blue
Chapman's Blue
Chapman's Blue
Chapman's Blue
Then another huge black triangle on the path... another Large Tort..... which quickly b******d off high into the trees. None for 50 years then two in a day !!... then number three, :shock: which this time allowed closer approach for a still somewhat distant upperside shot and a much closer underside study.... Pristine as well ! Yessssss!!!!! :D :D
Large Tortoiseshell
Large Tortoiseshell
Large Tortoiseshell
Large Tortoiseshell
Higher up again, the only Southern Festoon seen at all nectared about a metre below the road, eluding the camera totally. A Wood White also flopped by, not stopping. Another White, and I (edit) appreciated Guy's opinion on this one.. Mountain Small White, did allow close approach. :D
(edit) Mountain Small White
(edit) Mountain Small White
Clouded Yellows and Large Walls were also somehow lazier this afternoon...
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow helice
Clouded Yellow helice
Large Wall
Large Wall
So, still having not breached the tree line I reluctantly turned for home, which felt a long, long way away. Happily I trudged until home, after another good day. The species count was not rising a great deal by now, but there had been some really great photo opportunities. :D

Daylist Day three.

Southern White Admiral
White Admiral
Brown Argus
Chapman's Blue
Common Blue
Lang's Short Tailed Blue
Meadow Brown
Clouded Yellow
Southern Comma
Small Copper
Southern Festoon
Glanville Fritillary
Southern Grayling
Ilex Hairstreak
Sloe Hairstreak
Nettle Tree Butterfly
Orange Tip
Painted Lady
Mallow Skipper
Small Skipper
Speckled Wood
Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Large Tortoiseshell
Eastern Bath White
Green Veined White
Small White species
Large White
Wall
Large Wall
Last edited by Reverdin on Thu May 30, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Reverdin, I don't think I've ever been more envious.

Spectacular stuff. Your heart must be missing about 5 minutes' worth of beats every day!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Very jealous. Excellent work with the Large Tortoiseshells! I've only ever seen them flying past at huge speed...
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Excellent photos Paul! Makes me want to get out to mainland Europe again!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just brilliant stuff!

The white is surely female ergane. The square definition of the apical spot, the wing shape and the general appearance leave me in little doubt about this.

Guy
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your feedback.... and ergane was what I thought and was hoping for.... I can now reasonably confidently accept it as a new species for me.
The next day, 23rd May, was the worst of the week. It started with high cloud and I rather optomistically set off back to Saidona....Big mistake..... the sun shone at first, deceivingly enough to get us high up the road.........into the by now developing low cloud shrouding our footsteps.... hoping it would evaporate we continued.... second big mistake 'cos it didn't. So down we went, having walked the furthest, for the least, of the whole trip.

One consolation was a rather miserable Black Veined White, which was however sitting very pretty!. :D
Black Veined White
Black Veined White
A Glanville Fritillary also posed, more than a bit coolly :roll:
Glanville Fritillary
Glanville Fritillary
The afternoon by the sea improved our spirits, as the sun shone, if somewhat waterily. Tavernas beckoned irresistibly.
IMG_9118_edited-1.jpg
IMG_9120_edited-1.jpg
Daylist Day four

Scarce Swallowtail
Black Veined White
Large White
Small White
Cleopatra
Holly Blue
Brown Argus
Common Blue
Southern White Admiral