Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I must have been misinformed Mike but you are certainly right about it being stunning and my photo just doesn't show the true colours. Sadly, the bird has now departed David otherwise I might have been tempted to try to get closer for a more representative photo - trouble is, I didn't dare as if it had been me who scared it I would likely be facing a lynch mob now :lol: :lol:

Great to hear from you Chris - thank you for the compliment. I went back there today to try to get some better open-winged shot but they were so active I'm not sure I succeeded. I have just got too used to taking photos in the rain and this strange bright light in the sky has completely thrown me :lol:

I felt a great deal more relaxed at this site today as the place was initially crawling with police. I parked my car behind one of the police cars and felt it would be quite safe there. The site is looking lovely but despite notices warning of the danger of rock fall I was quite alarmed to see a man with a boy of about 10 years climbing quite high up the chalky face near the Peregrines. The place was teeming with butterflies today and it is no co-incidence that the street next to the site is called 'Butterfly Drive'. There is also a 'Lime Grove' and I think it was these trees which were responsible for the heavenly smell when I arrived this morning.
P1140419ad.jpg
P1140433a.jpg
There were a number of shiny green beetles - I wonder if anyone can tell me what they are?
P1140473a.jpg
Before I left I took a couple of photos of the site looking in different directions. In one, the Spinneker Tower at Gunwharf can be seen along with clear views to the IOW and the other shows a section of the site itself.
P1140477a.jpg
P1140479a.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Small Blues and congrats on the Roller :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Wurzel - much appreciated.

Now it's coming to something when I go out and see more deer than I do butterflies
P1140355d.jpg
but it was very quiet at Wrecclesham. The Green Hairstreaks were still in the hawthorn but had moved higher up, out of reach, following the sun's rays. The only other butterflies were, would you believe it, Orange Tips! There must have been about 6 of them, more than I have seen all year, and they were definitely looking past their best. I was happy to witness the same sequence of events as Neil, with the female rejecting the male, but however hard I tried I just could not capture that sequence. I take my hat off to you Neil as you did a really good job to get them. The butterflies were very active but I so wanted that open-winged shot of the male. The first one I managed was a female:
P1140377d.jpg
I then managed to snatch a quick shot of a male nectaring
P1140369d.jpg
before seeing another male that had come to rest, teasing me with a dart shaped pose
P1140373d.jpg
before finally opening his wings for a brief second :D
P1140375d.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Today I met up with a good friend, Dave Griffiths (also a member and keen butterflyer) to spend an hour at a site close to both of us. The area we walked through today was quite remote - I certainly hadn't been to that part of the site previously and Dave agreed that he has rarely seen anyone there. We were discussing his recent butterfly trip to India and comparing the lack of butterflies here when we were both gobsmacked as a PBF flew past us. We set off in hot pursuit and managed to get a photo of this very tatty, worn individual.
P1140564d.jpg
I began to tell Dave about Kipper's recent experience at Heyshot but suggested in this case it was probably a release. I had hardly finished the sentence when another individual flew past. I didn't bother to take a photo of this one but got a good look and could see it had a very damaged wing - definitely a second individual. We were now more alert and when we stumbled on a third individual I took another photo. It was complete but worn and pale looking.
P1140566d.jpg
The next individual was obviously different as it was very much fresher but had a small tear in the fore wing
P1140569d.jpg
Individual number 5 was lovely - fresh and undamaged:
P1140585d.jpg
We went on to see several more fresh individuals. I suppose it could have been the same one over again but as we were moving along into different areas I thought this unlikely. My guess would have been that we saw between 6-8 and that was without even looking.

I would like advice on 2 issues: firstly, are these likely to be an unauthorised release? secondly, is it OK to name the site publicly? I am quite happy to do this so that others can have the pleasure of seeing them.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline - PBF in strange locations seem to be the in thing at the moment - Ashley Whitlock has seen a number on the downs around East Meon in Hampshire many miles from any known sites. Mark :?

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline,

The site I believe you are almost certainly referring to is a natural one, dating well back into the last century. It has been brought back from the brink by the hard work of Dr Dan Hoare (BC) and Graham West (SDNPA). For various reasons, not least the limited 'working space' when clearance/regeneration is essential, it is considered sensitive. Feel free to PM or ring me if you wish to confirm this location north of Midhurst.

Best Wishes, Neil

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That wasn't the site Neil - as you know I am already aware of that one. This was directly south from me down the A3. So, what do you think? I'd be really interested to know.

BW

P.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pauline,

There is another part to this site which you might not be aware of, but it sounds like you are elsewhere. I'll PM you.

BWs, Neil

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tuts wrote:Hi Pauline - PBF in strange locations seem to be the in thing at the moment - Ashley Whitlock has seen a number on the downs around East Meon in Hampshire many miles from any known sites. Mark :?
Hi Mark/Pauline
I saw Ashley Whitlocks sightings reports (specific site not given) on Hants BC mentioning Pearl Bordered Fritillary. I would be interested to know the location if you are happy to divulge :wink:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Paul

As you might imagine there is a bit of discussion going on 'behind the scenes' about this and other sites and the advice I am getting is to be cautious about naming this recent site. I shall pm you with further explanation.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The week seems to have been bathed in a golden glow, what with the sun shining and the number of PBF's seen. I returned a week later to the original PBF site and my mate, the dark male, was still very much in evidence. Worryingly, I counted only 3 males on this visit and still no evidence of females.
P1140542d.jpg
P1140554d.jpg
P1140539d.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Pauline, Pauline, what can I say , your Orange Tip is fantastic, I which we did live near to one another, what with Animals, Birds,Butterflies we would certainly pass the time of day well :D :D Goldie

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie - I'm so glad you like my pictures. The next posting is especially for you.

I cannot remember a time when I went out looking for butterflies and failed to find a single one, so today was a first. However, the trip was so worthwhile as I was able to spend a little time watching these - another first :D :D . I reckon it's going to be a great year for ticks if the number of deer out there are anything to judge by :(
P1140611ad.jpg
P1140615ad.jpg
P1140618ad.jpg
P1140620ad.jpg

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Great pictures Pauline. I particularly like that dark Pearl Bordered Fritillary. Is that an aberration? Amazing pictures of the deer and fawn. Yes, the ticks are out. I have already had one and suspected Lymes Disease!! I am pleased to hear that there has been sun in your part of the country. It has been grey all week here.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Evening Nick, good to hear from you. I am sorry to hear about the suspected Lymes disease - something I am beginning to worry about given recent tick bites. I have been told the PBF is an aberration but not sure if it has a name. Yes, the deer experience was amazing - haven't seen it before and not sure I shall again, so I am still feeling very privileged. Glad you liked it.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic photo's Pauline, we have deer at Gaits Barrow but you very rarely see them. Their very small and very skittish, I caught sight of the tail end of one last year and that was that :D
I've been busy in the garden trying to get sorted out before we go a way on holiday, only a fortnight off now, roll on. Goldie :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Goldie - have a great holiday.

This morning I received an offer I could not refuse - an offer to animal-mind for a few hours. I have not had a great week animal wise. One problem has been my Norfolk Black. She has prolapsed which has necessitated 4 visits to the vet, the latest requiring stitches of a kind that would allow egg-laying, whilst at the same time adjusting the diet to throw her into moult and give the egg producing mechanism a rest. She is not very happy about this so I hope that the issue will be resolved satisfactorily next week.

Anyway, my first port of call was Wrecclesham where I felt sure I would see some Glanvilles. Not so :( . The only butterfly I saw was this bruised and battered Peacock:
P1140659d.jpg
The sound of the frogs reverberated around the site, competing with the bird song, although not quite as harmonious. However, not a butterfly to be seen. I appreciate it has been the coldest Spring for 50 years and last year was the wettest summer for goodness knows how long, but I am now quite concerned about this site. Two years ago there were hundreds and hundreds of Glanvilles, last year only a couple of dozen, and to date none at all. Last year I was taking photos of Glanvilles here on 25 May and the year before that even earlier. I hope that they are just late this year like so many other species have been - it would be so sad if this is the end after so many successful years.

I moved on to Chalton Down which by comparison was teeming with butterflies. Brimstones flew by regularly along with Small Whites and a Holly Blue was glimpsed, but the biggest success here seems to be the Small Heath and especially the Dingy Skipper which seemed to be everywhere. The other successful residents of this site were swarms of biting flies and rather than provide them with a meal I hastily took a few shots and left.
P1140678d.jpg
Didn't get that wing in focus which I'll put down to the fly distraction :wink:
P1140686d.jpg
P1140683d.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Spice (the hen) had her stitches out last night and so far so good. I decided to relax for an hour and catch up with the Wood Whites at Chiddingfold. It is comparatively easy to photograph these butterflies in the cool of the morning or at dusk when they are still 'asleep', but in the heat of the midday sun these little butterflies are frustratingly active. I decided to focus on behaviour and was delighted to see quite a few females egg-laying. I attempted a photo of an egg for the very first time:
P1140700ad.jpg
I watched the 'courtship' behaviour of males and females - if indeed that is what it is - and was surprised to see that the male was lashing the female with both his antennae and his probiscus:
P1140712ad.jpg
P1140713d.jpg
P1140717d.jpg
Eventually the female was left in relative peace:
P1140726ad.jpg
On leaving the site I was surprised by the number of ants and the speed at which they were carrying away their next meal:
P1140743d.jpg
I was sad to see this little chap on my way back. He hadn't been there an hour before so goodness knows what had happened to him.
P1140746d.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

You really capture images that put a different perspective on things, Pauline (like Guy Padfield often does).

Wonderful stuff.

PS - Best wishes to Spice the hen! (hate it when any of ours get ill). :(

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That is a massive compliment David - thank you; I try to keep things interesting. I am a huge fan of Guy's diary and openly tried to copy his photography style in my diary last year with only very limited success. Funnily enough, I think quite a few of your photos are in a similar style to his especially the Wall Brown with the bay in the background.

I appreciate your comments about Spice. Thankfully, again today, everything that should be inside is still inside although she is still on lots of medication. In case you are interested I am posting a few pics of her with her cockerel Pickle taken earlier today. Butterfly photos later.
P1140808d.jpg
P1140812d.jpg
P1140835a.jpg
P1140848d.jpg
When she starts laying again they'd better be golden eggs to pay for all the vets bills :lol:

Return to “Personal Diaries”