May 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: Ewyas Harold, Herefordshire

Post by David M »

dilettante wrote:
Stampy98 wrote: Photography opportunities were good with an individual posing for underwing and upperwing shots.
Hopefully you'll be sharing some of these here?
Indeed. Cool weather is ideal for PBF imagery. I hope to be up that way soon myself as this lovely site is throbbing with this species on a warm, sunny day.
NickB

Re: May 2013

Post by NickB »

Wish I was closer to the SPB & PB Frits - be great if I could just pop-out when conditions were right....
As it is, have to make-do with more humble species.....my first PL of the year, right in the centre of Cambridge.
PL_2_low_MRC_21_05_2013.jpg
PL_3_low_MRC_21_05_2013.jpg
It did not look as though it had flown a long way - more like just emerged - and was very dark in colour.
Made me wonder if it had been released by someone who had bought some caterpillars or pupae.....?
The other conclusion would be that it had come from a visitor that laid eggs here last Autumn and then over-wintered and survived as a pupa......
(More likely the former, I feel......)
That was yesterday afternoon at 4:00pm, when the sun came out for the first time that day...
...also several OT's, GV and Large White, Speckled Wood and Holly Blue, all in 40mins of sun
Edit: Plus a Latticed Heath moth, trying to look like a butterfly....
OT_f_1a_low_MRC_21_05_2013.jpg
OT_m_1_low_MRC_21_05_2013.jpg
L_H_Moth_1_low_MRC_21_05_2013.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
David M

Post by David M »

That Painted Lady DOES look fresh, Nick.

I didn't see a single vanessid this afternoon at Crymlyn Dunes in Swansea, but nonetheless 13 different species were recorded:

Orange Tip, Dingy Skipper, Large, Small and Green Veined White, Small Blue, Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Small Copper, Brown Argus, Wall Brown, Brimstone and Small Heath.

The male Brimstone had my total respect - a geriatric now but an individual who has led a full life and gotten into quite a few scrapes by the look of things:

NickB

Post by NickB »

The sun appeared eventually today.....as I passed a holly bush, I found this female HB doing what she has to do...
HB_f_4_low_MRC_22_05_2013.jpg
She laid a single egg and then retired to rest for a while ....
HB_f_1a_low_MRC_22_05_2013.jpg
before going out to investigate and lay on a couple more buds on the bush and then leaving.
Also found some new caterpillar webs on nettles; ST most likely. I will keep an eye out to see how they are going...
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I've had a really depressing week as I was meant to be in Scotland seeing the chequered skipper for the 1st time, however, due to a bit of a serious domestic I'm stuck at home. Due to my friend Nigel still going to Scotland I did his transect today on Frog Firle, Seaford when eventually a little bit of sun appeared. However, the cold wind did not help but a few decent sightings were still done. I did get my first Common Blue and Wall Brown. The Wall was interestingly a female. Also several Dingy and Grizzled Skippers. One Grizzled did pose particularly nicely for me and it looked full of eggs, however, it wasn't a Chequered!!!!
The best thing that I did see was a massive surprise though. At the far end of the transect a bird flew across in front of me and perched up in a bush about 100yds away and it was a female Golden Oriole, a very rare bird for Sussex!!!!
Attachments
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Brimstone. Park Corner 19/5/2013
Brimstone. Park Corner 19/5/2013
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Just spotted High Brown Fritillary on the BBC 10 o'clock news :D A short article highlighting the plight of our wildlife. 1 in 10 species are threatened with extinction apparently :(
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

badgerbob wrote:I've had a really depressing week as I was meant to be in Scotland seeing the chequered skipper for the 1st time, however, due to a bit of a serious domestic I'm stuck at home. Due to my friend Nigel still going to Scotland I did his transect today on Frog Firle, Seaford when eventually a little bit of sun appeared. However, the cold wind did not help but a few decent sightings were still done. I did get my first Common Blue and Wall Brown. The Wall was interestingly a female. Also several Dingy and Grizzled Skippers. One Grizzled did pose particularly nicely for me and it looked full of eggs, however, it wasn't a Chequered!!!!
The best thing that I did see was a massive surprise though. At the far end of the transect a bird flew across in front of me and perched up in a bush about 100yds away and it was a female Golden Oriole, a very rare bird for Sussex!!!!
Hi, there
If your mate sees any Chequered Skippers, could you please let me know?
Hope things have calmed down a bit for you!
Cheers,
Adrian Riley http://www.bugalert.net
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Adrian Riley:
I hope to go to Ardery on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula (between Salen and Strontian) soon but this is dependent on two things:

Better weather. Although there is a planned Highland Branch meeting on Saturday that will no doubt throw up plenty of overnight moth catches, Chequered Skipper is sadly perhaps a touch optimistic in 2013: it has only just been sighted in Glasdum, a traditionally early locality. But I would certainly take a chance on Ardery on Saturday except that I have:

Health problems - a bad knee (ligament damage plus perhaps other issues) and walking is painful and difficult. I have just started on some new medication and if/when that kicks in, then Ardery will get a visit.

Jack
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Jack,
Sorry to hear you have a dodgy knee at a critical time of the butterfly year. Hope that you are soon out and about. If you do drive to Strontian we managed to see Chequered Skippers very near the Reserve car park. Infact, for a few you could probably remain in car as they were within yards of the far part of the car park as the main track passes to go onto the reserve. This track in on level ground. We saw ours in 2011 in the first week of June. This seems an ideal site for those who find walking difficult. Just the long drive to get there.
At one time late morning today it was only 5 degrees here in East Kent. No chance of any butterflies here today.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Too cold for butterflies at present, but evidently there have been plenty of Orange-tips around here as there are plenty of eggs.

Last Sunday we had a look at Sand Point - no Glanvilles, or indeed any Small Copper, Brown Argus or Wall - the only butterflies seen a couple of Speckled Woods along the sheltered shady path leading up to the headland. The impression I got was that it was too early for butterflies there. I haven't heard mention of Glanville Fritillary on the wing at Sand Point yet, or indeed anywhere else so far this year, which is strangely late.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

NickB wrote:The sun appeared eventually today.....as I passed a holly bush, I found this female HB doing what she has to do...
Superb :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
NickB

Post by NickB »

Cheers, Pete. About time I nailed one.... :D
My obsession with Blues continues....
icarus next to emerge.... :wink:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

MONARCHS Isle of Mull 24th May

Photo
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac85 ... 3a15a5.jpg

Jack
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Jack Harrison wrote:Adrian Riley:
I hope to go to Ardery on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula (between Salen and Strontian) soon but this is dependent on two things:

Better weather. Although there is a planned Highland Branch meeting on Saturday that will no doubt throw up plenty of overnight moth catches, Chequered Skipper is sadly perhaps a touch optimistic in 2013: it has only just been sighted in Glasdum, a traditionally early locality. But I would certainly take a chance on Ardery on Saturday except that I have:

Health problems - a bad knee (ligament damage plus perhaps other issues) and walking is painful and difficult. I have just started on some new medication and if/when that kicks in, then Ardery will get a visit.

Jack
Hi, Jack
Sorry to hear about your knee problems. If you try Killiechonate Woods, just outside Spean Bridge, (OS Ref NN229 814) you can see Chequered McSkipper within a few yards of the car park along the roadside verges. A nice sheltered sun-trap and VERY little walking involved.
Cheers,
Adrian Riley www.bugalert.net
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

A nice sheltered sun-trap and VERY little walking involved.
Thanks Adrian but it's not just walking that is difficult but sitting in car with knees bent for more than about 30 minutes. I might still struggle to Ardery (much closer) next week with my seat pushed back and my wife as taxi driver. That's the real reason I married her but don't let on :)

Jack
nomad

Post by nomad »

I forgot to mention, that I saw a fresh Painted Lady on the edge of a arable field near Collingbourne Ducis when I was on the way back from Sidbury Hill on the eastern side of Salisbury Plain last Saturday the 18. On Sidbury the Grizzled Skippers were in double figures and so were the Green Hairstreaks. I have noticed that in the morning at this site the green Hairstreaks always nectar on yellow flowers, Dandelion, Buttercup and especially Gorse. I have also noticed that when resting they lean to one side to catch the rays of the sun. I am just getting ready to fly up to Scotland for a holiday in search of the Chequered Skipper. Hopefully I might see the sun and the object of my quest. My last British butterfly species. Cheers Peter.
David M

Post by David M »

At Haugh Wood near Hereford between 9.45 and 11.30 this morning there were 13 Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, 9 Green Veined Whites, 2 Wood Whites and single Speckled Wood and Large White.

Stampy98

Merthyr Mawr, Glamorgan

Post by Stampy98 »

A short visit before work today. Occasional sunny spells with cloud, light westerly breeze. Totals included:

7 grizzled skippers
12 dingy skippers
10 brown argus
2 g v white
1 wall brown
4 small heath
8 common blue

I am sure it would have been more but when it clouded over the temperature plummeted.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Gait Barrows NNR, Lancashire

A (rare) beautiful sunny day produced:

2 Duke of Burgundy
3 Pearl-bordered Fritillary
5 Dingy Skipper
2 Green Hairstreak
8 Brimstone
3 Large White
8 Speckled Wood
6 Orange-tip
10 Green-veined White
9 Peacock

Strangely, not a single Small White to be seen..... :?
David M

Re: Merthyr Mawr, Glamorgan

Post by David M »

Stampy98 wrote:A short visit before work today. Occasional sunny spells with cloud, light westerly breeze. Totals included:

7 grizzled skippers
12 dingy skippers
10 brown argus
2 g v white
1 wall brown
4 small heath
8 common blue

I am sure it would have been more but when it clouded over the temperature plummeted.
Interesting information that, Stampy.

I've never seen Brown Argus or Wall Brown at Merthyr Mawr, so it's good to know they ARE present there.

Return to “Sightings”