millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: millerd

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote: However I see you also have a few shots of the horrible green thing, the least said about that the better
This hatred is becoming debilitating, Wurzel. :)

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

No Green Hairstreaks for me today, Wurzel! :wink: Not a great deal of anything, in fact, as work took me up to the Big City for the day. :(

However, as it was still warm at six when I returned home, I had to venture out round my home patch just in case. I soon encountered a Speckled Wood and a Green-veined White, both headed for the trees, presumably to roost. A little further on, I found a couple of Orange Tips on a variety of wild parsley. The male was persistently bothering the female, who was displaying the typical abdomen-in-air rejection attitude. Eventually, she became fed up, and flew off across the river. The thwarted male then fluttered around the spot where she'd been for a good five minutes before he gave in and went up into the trees. I carried on to the patch of garlic mustard where I'd seen roosting Orange Tips a few days ago. Sure enough, there were another pair here. The female was still settling down, but I imagine the male had preceded her as he was oblivious to her presence a few flowerheads away. Moving on again I spotted two more, this time a mating pair settled on a bluebell in the low sunshine.

Oh, and I saw three Peacocks, defending their various bits of path to the end of the day.

It hardly seems possible, looking out on this summer evening, that tomorrow and subsequent days will be cool with showers and strong winds.

Dave
Attachments
OT1 070513.JPG
OT2 070513.JPG
OT pair1 070513.JPG

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Dave :mrgreen: I really am going to have to try and find a regular spot for Orange-tips as I'm just loving the close-up shots you're getting :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I agree. The backlit mating pair is excellent at showing the difference between the 2 sexes, even when their wings are closed! Must try this myself :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks chaps! The end of a sunny day is definitely the best time to get close to Orange Tips.

I haven’t been able to get out in the field since Tuesday - until yesterday, when the weather decided to be thoroughly unkind. :( I was able to go to Ryton with my three boys, but with sun virtually non-existent and some hefty showers, all we saw was a single Speckled Wood and some Orange Tip eggs. Even more annoying to get home at half past seven to find it had been dry all day.

Today (Sunday) was better, and an hour or so around my local patch provided a fair bit of interest. Once again, by far the most numerous butterfly was the Holly Blue. There must have been twenty or more altogether, often in groups of two or three, both males and females. They were more inclined than usual to settle lower down for some reason, which was good. In addition, Small and Green-veined Whites were frequent, along with Orange Tips of both sexes. There was also a solitary male Large White, only just bigger than his cousins. Speckled Woods were also well in evidence, definitely a better showing than last year, but with no Peacocks and only one Comma (a female I suspect, as it was crawling over low-level nettle and hop leaves), they may well have had their time in the sun. Finally, there was one Red Admiral, occupying a riverside glade territory that has attracted his forebears certainly since I started walking this route seven years ago. He had to share it with a couple of Speckled Woods and several Holly Blues – which kept him very busy.

Dave
Attachments
HB2 120513.JPG
HB3 120513.JPG
HB4 120513.JPG
HB5 120513.JPG
HB6 120513.JPG
HB7 120513.JPG
HB8 120513.JPG
SW2 120513.JPG
LW 120513.JPG
SpW 120513.JPG
Comma 120513.JPG
RA2 120513.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of the Holly Blues Dave :D The Red Admiral seems to be something of a rarity so far this year so it was great to see you've got a shot :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sorry to hear your trip to Ryton was a bit of a washout.
I went out myself on Saturday planning to circle around Bishops Hill/Harbury/Ryton as descibed in my diary. As it happened, the only place that I got out of the car was at Harbury, the rain was just too heavy when I arrived at Ryton later in the afternoon so I carried on home.

Some lovely photos in your past couple of posts, especially the backlit Orange Tips as others have said. I'm jealous of your Holly Blues, I have only seen a couple so far and they have been in full flight.

Cheers,

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

Some great shots of a beautiful butterfly there, Dave. Not many people can ever say Holly Blues were the most numerous species seen in a site visit!

Looks like they might be enjoying a good year. Perhaps the cold winter put paid to many of their predators?

millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks again for the comments, folks. :D

I suspect Holly Blues are much overlooked: many of those I saw were well above head height and their behaviour resembled hairstreaks rather than anything else. The number that came down and settled close to me was quite surprising. :)

Today was a different sort of day: I didn't get out round my local area until three, and it was windy, quite cool, but with longish sunny spells. I saw a few Holly Blues (but not like yesterday's abundance), five or six Speckled Woods, one Peacock, and a selection of Whites. I approached one or two - the first was a female Orange Tip, and all the others identifiable turned out to be Green-veined Whites today. In addition, I saw six or seven male Orange Tips, battling against the wind and settling fairly readily every time the sun dimmed. Photo opportunities increased - but the wind made things very trying!

Dave
Attachments
SpW 130513.JPG
GVW1 130513.JPG
GVW2 130513.JPG
OT1 130513.JPG
OT2 130513.JPG
OT3 130513.JPG
OT5 130513.JPG
OT6 130513.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Orange-tips again Dave :D :mrgreen: I know what you mean about the wind - you almost want to reach out and hold the stem of the plant they're on - but you dare'nt unless the butterfly flies away. On another matter I'm stocked up on Crafty Old Hen but I'm back enjoying Poacher Choice from Badger, it's a different taste but a winner as far as I'm concerned :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

I have that one stashed away as well, Wurzel - another favourite! :D

Cheers,

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am green with envy at your lovely Orange Tips shots Dave. I don't think I have ever seen more than one in any one place. I have spent the last couple of weeks trying to search for them even resorting to stopping the car if I come across appropriate patches of plants!!! I know exactly how Wurzel feels but for me it's orange, not green.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you Pauline - I doubt I'll ever match the lovely pictures you take, mind. I have seen quite a few Orange Tips around here this year, and I've been lucky in the times and conditions in which I've been out, which seem to have hindered them in their usual ceaseless activity in the sunshine.

The sun beckoned today, and I took the risk of driving down to Bentley Wood in the late afternoon. The sun was out, but the Eastern Clearing was very soggy with recent rain and in comparison with other years it looked somewhat barren: the bluebells were only just out, very little bugle was to be seen, and the bracken fronds remained furled. There were butterflies - I saw over a dozen Brimstones, including a number of females laying on the recently opened buckthorn buds, plus several Orange Tips. But... no Pearl-bordered Fritillaries seen in the two hours I was there. I bumped into another chap on a similar, but equally unfulfilled mission - his afternoon was redeemed somewhat by an encounter with a nightjar. I will have to return in a week or two. I imagine the few PBF seen a few days back succumbed to the storminess of Tuesday night.

Driving home, I witnessed the odd phenomena of having brilliant clear blue skies to the south, and dark grey heavy showers to the north. Perhaps I should have gone elsewhere - but you can never predict these things.

Dave
Attachments
Brimstone egg, moments after being laid. A distinct blue tinge
Brimstone egg, moments after being laid. A distinct blue tinge
One of many
One of many

millerd

Post by millerd »

After a very grey day, the sun made a half-hearted appearance at just before six. I set off around my local patch to see if anything had been tempted into activity.

Close to home, I found four or five Green-veined Whites flitting between the wild parsley flowers, along with a solitary Orange Tip. Further along, the Garlic Mustard patches were host to another four or five Orange Tips, all males, and all nectaring while they could before settling back down to roost. Photos were easy to take, but though the butterflies were not very active, the breeze made clear pictures not quite so easy. The Orange Tips are also becoming noticeably worn now.

No other butterflies seen - though it was seven o'clock when I left the Orange Tips.

Dave
Attachments
GVW1 210513.JPG
GVW2 210513.JPG
GVW3 210513.JPG
GVW4a 210513.JPG
OT7 210513.JPG
OT5 210513.JPG
OT6 210513.JPG
OT4 210513.JPG
OT10 210513.JPG
OT2 210513.JPG
OT11 210513.JPG
OT12 210513.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Dave :mrgreen: You've inspired me so I might try and make an evening visit tomorrow night :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Amazingly, in a day filled with cold winds and sporadic hail, the sun shone for an hour between five and six. The temperature rose to the dizzy heights of around 11 degrees, and I set off around my local walk. Almost immediately, I came across a couple of intrepid Green-veined Whites. One promptly buried itself in the vegetation, but the other basked for a while. Moving on, the only other butterfly I saw was a fresh Small White, soaking up what heat there was amongst the brambles.

And it's going to be much worse weatherwise tomorrow... :x

(but better over the holiday weekend, allegedly) :)

Dave
Attachments
GVW1 230513.JPG
SW1a 230513.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Dave :D intimate almost :wink: The weathermen don't have a good track record when forecasting good weather so I hope that they get it more accurate than usual :? ireally need to get out and find some butterflies!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

A very different day today to yesterday's flashback to winter. A day out with all the boys took in Amersham for steam trains on the Metropolitan Line, Dunstable Downs for tea and kite-flying, and Totternhoe quarry for whatever might be about.

There were Whites, Orange Tips and Brimstones across the site, plus a couple of Speckled Woods and a Peacock. However, I was pleased to find both of the main target species for the day, Dingy Skippers and Small Blues. The former were frequent when the sun was out, again in all parts of the site - I must have seen more than a dozen. However, I only tracked down two of the latter species, both tucked up in the pathside shrubs and difficult to spot. Finally, in one of the chalk pits, a single Duke of Burgundy took off as we arrived.

Oh, and specially for Wurzel, there was a rather nice Green Hairstreak perching in a hawthorn. :wink:

Dave
Attachments
DS1 250513.JPG
DS2 250513.JPG
DS3 250513.JPG
DS4 250513.JPG
SB1 250513.JPG
SB2 250513.JPG
GH1 250513.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

A glorious day, but I was limited to looking around my local patch. It was a day dominated by white butterflies, with all three species much in evidence, plus several Orange Tips and Brimstones. Completing the picture were ten or so Holly Blues, five rather tatty Peacocks and a couple of Speckled Woods. Still waiting for Small Heaths, Brown Argus and Common Blues to make an appearance.

Today was also the first day I have seen dragonflies and damselflies this year.

Dave
Attachments
dragonfly 260513.JPG
Female nectaring avidly after a bout of egg-laying
Female nectaring avidly after a bout of egg-laying
Peacock 260513.JPG
OT1 260513.JPG
female GVW
female GVW
the same individual
the same individual
female Small White
female Small White
male Small White
male Small White
female Large White
female Large White
male Large White
male Large White

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Dave as per ususual :D I'll forgive you for the Greenstreak :wink: as I have now conquered my nemesis :D Just need to find some Duke's now and I'll almost be on track for this time of year.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”