Abbots Wood East Sussex

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Hoggers

Abbots Wood East Sussex

Post by Hoggers »

Hi All, I'm planning to visit Abbot's Wood in East Sussex in the next fortnight or so (weather permitting) to hopefully see Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. I've looked at the map and seen that the wood is enormous - I'd have no idea where might be the best part to find the butterfly. Can anyone help, please? I guess I'd start from the car park. Thanks
dave brown

Re: Abbots Wood East Sussex

Post by dave brown »

From memory you need the North West corner. At least one footpath takes you there from the car park. Last time we were there a well maintained ride and coppiced area led from the footpath. It is quite a poplar wood with walkers and families but the area for PBF was generally very quiet with only a few people watching butterflies present.
I am not sure of the status of this population. Whether its fully natural, natural and was supported by releases, or whether its a fully reintroduced project. Perhaps Sussex Kipper will comment. Either way a beautiful butterfly to see and usually in good numbers.
Dave
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The Pearls started to emege here last week but are still in small numbers at the present. Last year they suffered with all the wet conditions during the whole of the flight season. However, the butterflies have spread through large parts of the woodland and several clearings are maintained for them since they were reintroduced from Rewell Wood stock around 2005. I have heard that some have been seen near the main carpark but the main area is around the Northern part. Hope this helps.
Bob.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Gents, that narrows it down for me - I was a little daunted when I saw just how big the wood is- at least now ive got something to aim at.
Cheers

Return to “Sites”