Fly I.D.

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Philzoid

Fly I.D.

Post by Philzoid »

This was taken at Bentley Wood on Sunday. Initially I thought it was a hoverfly but now I'm not so sure, a tabanid species perhaps :? Your help will be much appreciated thanks :)
Bentley Wood hoverfly?
Bentley Wood hoverfly?
blurred image but 'ovipositor' clearly protruding
blurred image but 'ovipositor' clearly protruding
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Fly I.D.

Post by Wurzel »

Really caught the sweet spot on the wings Philzoid :D Is it some form of Drone fly? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

You are right Wurzel, this is a drone fly 'Eristalis Pertinax' which is quite common. I caught one in my garden a couple of weeks ago to identify (it was safely returned after to the same flower as the one it was caught on).
Philzoid, if you are interested in hoverflies then I would recommend that you buy 'Britain's Hoverflies: an introduction' by S Ball and R. Morris. This is an excellent identification guide !
Sylvie
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Tapered drone Fly female :o .

Thanks for your help guys :) . I'm surprised I haven't heard of a "drone fly" before :oops: (though I've probably seen it without taking too much notice .. the decent shot prompted me to find out I suppose).
So it is a type of hoverfly, whose larvae are known as rat-tailed maggots (these I have found before on occasion). I only took two shots and was surprised how well the first shot came out (holding a camera vertically pointing downwards presumably helps avoid camera shake). Generally one thinks of hoverfly abdomens as being striped. The membranous parts between the segments are not showing on this example so that might be why I wasn't entirely sure.

I don't have a specific interest in Hoverflies but like everything else I'm always looking to to increase my knowledge and pick up things (ticks excluded) :lol: when I'm out in the field. At the moment my passion is identifying British moths including micros and this is a full time job :wink: .

Thanks again. :)

Phil

Return to “Identification”