Black Hairstreak

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
markatbath

Black Hairstreak

Post by markatbath »

Hi
Does anyone have any experience of the Black Hairstreak at Whitecross Green Wood? . I was planning a trip there in a couple of weeks time and any help would be appreciated
regards
mark
Larry Wheatland

Post by Larry Wheatland »

Me too ! (but from Bristol) Someone mentioned at Bentley Wood a couple of weekends ago that Whitecross Green Wood was a good site for the species, but are there any better sites in the Oxford area?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I've never seen Black Hairstreak at Whitecross Green Wood so can't give precise directions, and it's a big wood!

Finemere Wood is pretty close by. I popped in there on the way back from Warwick today and saw 13, even in overcast weather. Please email me offline for directions if you need them (pete@ukbutterflies.co.uk).

Cheers,

- Pete
markhows

Post by markhows »

I was going to try this weekend at Brampton Wood or Monks wood (Cambs) anyone got any info on these sites?

Thanks

Mark
Mark Spedding

Post by Mark Spedding »

Glapthorn Cow Pasture in Northants is a reliable site - saw them myself last year.
markhows

Post by markhows »

Saw them there today excellent site

Thanks

Mark
tuftyhill

Post by tuftyhill »

Hi
we had at least 5 Black Hairstreak in Whitecross Green Wood and 1 Wood White on 17th June. The Hairstreak were feeding on Blackthorn about 100yds from the car park on the right hand side as you walk past the logbook. I think there had been over 10 seen earlier that day.

Return to “Sites”