Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

First Green Makes It Ten

Today (2nd May) I managed to see ten species of butterfly together on one site, with the tenth being my first Green Hairstreak of the season. The final count at Mill Hill (Shoreham) was 13 Peacock, 6 Small Tortoiseshell, 6 Brimstone, 5 Grizzled Skipper, and single Green Hairstreak, Red Admiral, Comma, Speckled Wood, Large White and Small White. I also saw the small day-flying moths Pyrausta purpuralis, P. despicata and P. nigrata in low numbers.
UKB GS1 Mill Hill 2.5.13.jpg
UKB GS2 Mill Hill 2.5.13.jpg
UKB Green Hairstreak Mill Hill 2.5.13.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Third Time Lucky?

43 people attended the BC Sussex walk to Rewell Wood this afternoon (5th May), but the very late spring continues to wreak havoc with our events calendar and the Pearl-bordered Fritillary is still refusing to emerge here. Please watch the Branch Sightings Page http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.html for details of a probable re-run next Sunday 12th May at 2 pm, which will be open to all. 3 Speckled Wood, a Peacock and a Small White did not do justice to such an enjoyable walk around a lovely wood. I also found a photogenic Green-veined White earlier in the day.
UKB GVW Rewell 5.5.13.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Greenstreak Revival

Although it is still early days, the biggest story for me so far this season is the miraculous comeback made by the Green Hairstreak. This species was one of the worst performers in Sussex last year, with a total of only 38 records for the entire West and East. If anyone should still doubt the resourcefulness and resilience of these frail creatures, then the Green Hairstreak revival should settle the matter once and for all. On Monday (6th May) I counted 63 male butterflies on a downland slope near Storrington.

It is even more pleasing to report that this was over an area cleared of impenetrable scrub and secondary woodland by the South Downs National Park Nature Improvement Area project, creating bare ground and allowing the limited rejuvenation of early stage scrub. Amongst other butterflies, Grizzled Skipper (9) and Dingy Skipper (2) have moved into this newly created home.

Almost every available perch was being defended by argumentative hairstreaks and three or four at a time would form tight aerial bundles as they contested the prime spots. During the late afternoon I watched about a dozen go to roost in a Scots Pine, wedging themselves between the needles.
UKB Green Hairstreak Chantry Hill 7.5.13.jpg
UKB Chantry Hill 7.5.13.jpg
UKB Dingy Skipper, Chantry Hill 7.5.13.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Great news, Neil.

Just the sort of positive account we need to hear after the difficult conditions experienced in 2012.

Kindest regards. Mark

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Greenstreaks are allegedly widespread on Mull, but we yet to have the weather in 2013. It rained again today.

Interestingly, my earliest ever sighting of a Greenstreak was in Scotland way back in the 1980s. I was based at Aberdeen then and recall a hike up a hill in Deeside to the west of the city. (Hill of Fare). I think the date was circa 8th April (certainly early April) when I encountered - to my great surprise - a Greenstreak about 400 metres above sea level.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I was on the Isle of Arran for a two week geology field trip in early/mid April in 1981 or 1982. It was scorchio for the entire fortnight and the island was covered in Green Hairstreaks. I have such happy memories of the place that I really must return one day.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Blues Festival

The last couple of days (7th & 8th May) has seen a good emergence of Holly Blues in my Worthing back garden. Both the dining room and kitchen overlook the ivy-clad walls and trellis, so it's easy to keep an eye on activity. The 5 or 6 butterflies which have recently appeared have been a mixture of males and females and there has been much territorial and courtship behaviour to keep me entertained. I haven't managed an open wing shot yet, or indeed a pairing, with the latter apparently taking place (twice) in the jungle of ivy and clematis on the garage roof.
UKB Holly Blue male Worthing garden 8.5.13.jpg
UKB Holly Blue female Worthing garden 7.5.13.jpg
UKB Holly Blue male Worthing garden 7.5.13.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Jack,
I was on the Isle of Arran for a two week geology field trip in early/mid April in 1981 or 1982.
Funnily enough, I was on the Isle of Arran for a two-week geology field trip in April 1984. Fossilised lightning strikes, giant millipedes, golden eagles and excellent Guiness - I bet we have some shared memories, Kipper! I still have my hammer, goggles and 10x hand lens for my return trip, so maybe I'll see you there.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil,
Your Greenstreak news is very uplifting! I an desperate to see some Greens this year. I only saw two last year,and none in Essex,despite searching at sites where i've seen them other years.
Hopefully the Green revival will spread here too.
Cheers!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope that the upturn in the fortunes of the Green Hairstreaks is felt elsewhere, at Martin Down in particular :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi essexbuzzard and Wurzel,

I'm hopeful that the Greenies are going to do well on your patch. I'm hearing good reports from further afield; e.g. the account of at least 40 at Rodborough Common by Simon Primrose, via the new Duke of Burgundy blog at http://hamearislucina.blogspot.co.uk/. Following Dave Browne's (Buchan Boy's) posting on page 2 of 'May 2013', where he mentions "30-40" very early in the flight period at Devils Dyke (north of Brighton), I suspect that a survey around the base of the Dyke and the path towards Poynings would reveal industrial quantities of Green Hairstreak.

Hi Guy,

"Fossilised lightning strikes, giant millipedes, golden eagles and excellent Guiness - I bet we have some shared memories, Kipper! ". Oh yes. Waves of nostalgia! I remember mucking around in Glen Sannox (supposedly mapping the geology) and late night shenanigans outside the Corrie Hotel.

Best Wishes, Neil

edgueinart

Post by edgueinart »

Hi Neil,
I live in Brighton and I would love to see some Green hairstreaks.
Where is the place you mention,sorry but I dont know the area very well.
Thank you

Regards

Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

Hi Neil , hope you are well .
We should of course note that all these Green Hairstreaks we are seeing this year came from eggs laid last year when they were supposed to have had a terrible year . I do wonder whether they were still about whilst we were hiding from the rain indoors .

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Duking

Today (9th May) I started off at Rewell Wood, where I hoped to confirm that the Pearl-bordered Fritillary has finally started to emerge, particularly as I'm running a third guided walk here this coming Sunday (12th May) at 2 pm (see http://www.sussex-butterflies.org.uk/events.html); all are welcome. I was mightily relieved to spot a freshly emerged male quite quickly. I then received a phone call from Mark Colvin who had found a male Duke of Burgundy in a nearby woodland on the Norfolk Estate. It wasn't keen on flying in the strong, cool breeze, so it kindly waited for 30 minutes while I drove there. In fact it was so docile that I picked it up for a good close look at my equal favourite butterfly.
UKB DoB Norfolk Estate 9.5.13.jpg
UKB Me with DoB by Mark Colvin 9.5.13.jpg
Image by Mark Colvin

I then headed off to Heyshott Escarpment where the emergence is well underway. The wind was now very strong and increasing, conditions which the Duke of Burgundy hates. Despite this I managed to locate 4 very fresh males, all showing that lovely blue lustre which typifies a newly minted Duke. These were the only butterflies brave enough to be out on the slopes, although I found an obliging male Orange Tip in the lane leading to the reserve.
UKB DoB Heyshott 9.5.13.jpg
UKB OT Heyshott 9.5.13.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi edgueinart,
This is Devils Dyke http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/devils-dyke/, just a few miles north of Brighton. Walk to the base and look around the scrub.
BWs, Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely photos, Neil.

Thanks for running an extra walk. I hope to be there on Sunday with one or more of the kiddies in tow.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pearls On The Radio

This morning (10th May) I met Tom Feilden, BBC Science Correspondent for the 'Today' programme, to record a short piece on the conservation of butterflies on the Norfolk Estate. I believe this will form part of a wider broadcast involving other contributors, including RSPB and Plantlife. I marked the position of a roosting Pearl-bordered Fritillary before the others arrived and the cool, overcast conditions ensured it stayed put. It might still be there now!
UKB Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Rewell Wood, 10.5.13.jpg
Then it was onwards to meet a National Park ranger to look at some work being done on a farm near Upwaltham. One of the areas we looked at really should have Duke of Burgundy on it. Perhaps one day it will. The view from the top of the Downs here was breathtaking.
UKB View from Farm Hill, 10.5.13.jpg

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I marked the position of a roosting Pearl-bordered Fritillary before the others arrived and the cool, overcast conditions ensured it stayed put. It might still be there now!
Fast rewind 53 weeks for the same.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I've got to keep my customers happy - it's all about the 7Ps. Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents ...
Best Wishes, Neil

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I've got to keep my customers happy - it's all about the 7Ps. Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents ...
I had always thought that the Seven Ps was military in origin but obviously I was wrong.

No doubt there will be those who are in the dark about the other three Ps. Send me a Private Message if you require elucidation :idea:

Jack

Return to “Personal Diaries”