Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Goldie M

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Goldie- definitely worth waiting for :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice one Goldie, heres hoping there are plenty more to come.

Nei lF.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you both, I hope there's much more to come :D
Yesterday I went to Yarrow Valley Park looking for Orange Tips, I saw one very sorry looking Peacock , no wonder the wind was very cold yesterday, I thought it was brave to even start flying. :( No Orange Tips yet for up here it seems :(
I went up passed the small lake to the Waterfall and some men were Taking shots with long distance camera's . I got closer to take a look and there was this unusual bird. I've looked through my books but can't find it if anyone knows what it is I'd like to know, I didn't like asking them as they were so intent on filming
any way I know it's Butterfly time now but this bird must be some thing special to have all those men there so I've put a few shots I took in my diary. Sorry also because my camera just as the Zoom nothing like what they were using. Goldie :D Oh! I nearly forgot I saw A Yellow Wagtail at Least I think it is Goldie :D
Attachments
009.JPG
019.JPG
015.JPG
005.JPG
010.jpg
020.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank you both, I hope there's much more to come :D
Yesterday I went to Yarrow Valley Park looking for Orange Tips, I saw one very sorry looking Peacock , no wonder the wind was very cold yesterday, I thought it was brave to even start flying. :( No Orange Tips yet for up here it seems :(
I went up passed the small lake to the Waterfall and some men were Taking shots with long distance camera's . I got closer to take a look and there was this unusual bird. I've looked through my books but can't find it if anyone knows what it is I'd like to know, I didn't like asking them as they were so intent on filming
any way I know it's Butterfly time now but this bird must be some thing special to have all those men there so I've put a few shots I took in my diary. Sorry also because my camera just as the Zoom nothing like what they were using. Goldie :D Oh! I nearly forgot I saw A Yellow Wagtail at Least I think it is Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

The bird looks like a fledgling dipper to me. I'm sure Wurzel will be able to confirm.

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Goldie

The photos are of a fledgling Dipper as David says plus one of the adult with food for the youngster. Dippers are quite rare in many parts of the country. I luckily live close to the Peak District which is in Derbyshire and has a lot of Dippers, although unfortunately declining in numbers.

The Wagtail is a Grey Wagtail male with the black bib. Yellow wagtails are less lemon coloured than the Grey Wagtail and don't have the black bib. I think the Grey is a great looking bird.

All the best.

Cheers Paul

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks very much David and Paul, I thought it must be rare because of all the Photographers, also thanks for the info on the Wagtail I'm getting there with the birds :D Just got the wrong colour :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks very much David and Paul, I thought it must be rare because of all the Photographers, also thanks for the info on the Wagtail I'm getting there with the birds :D Just got the wrong colour :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Goldie :D I would have said all that has been said if I hadn't been trapped at work, honestly this work malarkey just gets in the way of living :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:Great stuff Goldie :D I would have said all that has been said if I hadn't been trapped at work, honestly this work malarkey just gets in the way of living
Too true, Wurzel. I empathise totally.

Work is the nastiest four letter word of them all.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The weather here isn't Butterfly weather at all, I might has well be at work Wurzal and Dave. :( We've had the Sun but the cold winds have put a damper on everything . I've been back a number of times to Hall-Lee-Brook and not a single sighting of a BF since the 20th of April, also had heavy showers in between, not too bothered about the rain it's good for the garden, it's just the cold winds i'd like to be rid of . Next week I'll visit Spring Wood or nip up to the Lakes weather permitting of course, I don't want to make the journey and not find any thing :(
Talk about finding things I saw this Hawk in my garden a couple of weeks ago.
I've never known one to sit so still for so long. It is a Sparrow Hawk isn't it? I read in my bird book that Merlin's do this ( kind of view the situation around them)
Goldie :D
Attachments
Sparrow Hawk ready for take off 12th April 2013 022.JPG
Sparrow Hawk BG 12th April 2013 019.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The weather here isn't Butterfly weather at all, I might has well be at work Wurzal and Dave. :( We've had the Sun but the cold winds have put a damper on everything . I've been back a number of times to Hall-Lee-Brook and not a single sighting of a BF since the 20th of April, also had heavy showers in between, not too bothered about the rain it's good for the garden, it's just the cold winds i'd like to be rid of . Next week I'll visit Spring Wood or nip up to the Lakes weather permitting of course, I don't want to make the journey and not find any thing :(
Talk about finding things I saw this Hawk in my garden a couple of weeks ago.
I've never known one to sit so still for so long. It is a Sparrow Hawk isn't it? I read in my bird book that Merlin's do this ( kind of view the situation around them)
Goldie :D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Goldie.
Goldie M wrote:It is a Sparrow Hawk isn't it?
Yes, it's a juvenile Sparrowhawk.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Mark, I thought it was, nice to be proved right though :D
Can't understand why my last two notice's got repeated in my Diary anybody know the cause :?: Goldie :?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday 7th May I went up to Gaits Barrow, I thought maybe the Duke -of-Burgundy would be out by now but he wasn't and the people from Natural England who run GB are concerned. I got talking to some of them who were doing a check on various things and it seems the Pearl Bordered Fritillary has not appeared yet, with the warm weather 22c yesterday they felt sure they would start to merge. They were asking people like us who were out and about to tell others if they saw any to let them know about both species. :(
I also learn't that Gaits Barrow could start to allow bikes and Horses to go in. Every one I met was angry about this, more so because cycle tracks had been found going across the the Slipper Orchids , people were there trying to repair the damage, like one man said if this happens with out permission to go in whats it going to be like when loads turn up with bikes and horses, not forgetting some of the rare species of butterflies that are struggling now.
I said I'd tell my friends etc , they said tell every one and if they don't like it tell them to contact Natural England and complain which I intend to do I can't imagine
the devastation it could cause to the slate and the wild life. :shock:
On a lighter note I was shown where a colony of Green Hair Streaks were playing around in the sun and I got my first look at them and also some shots :D :D
I also saw Brimstone's Green Veined Whites, Peacocks , so my day wasn't too spoiled Goldie M :D

David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote:Yesterday 7th May I went up to Gaits Barrow, I thought maybe the Duke -of-Burgundy would be out by now but he wasn't and the people from Natural England who run GB are concerned. I got talking to some of them who were doing a check on various things and it seems the Pearl Bordered Fritillary has not appeared yet, with the warm weather 22c yesterday they felt sure they would start to merge. They were asking people like us who were out and about to tell others if they saw any to let them know about both species. :(
I also learn't that Gaits Barrow could start to allow bikes and Horses to go in. Every one I met was angry about this, more so because cycle tracks had been found going across the the Slipper Orchids , people were there trying to repair the damage, like one man said if this happens with out permission to go in whats it going to be like when loads turn up with bikes and horses, not forgetting some of the rare species of butterflies that are struggling now.
I said I'd tell my friends etc , they said tell every one and if they don't like it tell them to contact Natural England and complain which I intend to do I can't imagine
the devastation it could cause to the slate and the wild life. :shock:
On a lighter note I was shown where a colony of Green Hair Streaks were playing around in the sun and I got my first look at them and also some shots :D :D
I also saw Brimstone's Green Veined Whites, Peacocks , so my day wasn't too spoiled Goldie M :D
Most of that makes pretty depressing reading, Goldie.

However, I wouldn't worry too much yet about Dukes and PBFs. They're not yet on the wing in some places much further south so with any luck they'll just be waiting to emerge right now.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear about the damage to the habitat :( . With regards to the Pearls David is right. Last year the Pearls came out first in the far South West (I think it was in Devon) and then there seemed to be a bit of a delay before they started emerging elsewhere. Likewise it seems this year as the first report from Bentley Wood was on Monday - so there is much still to wait for. It could be worse, at least you've seen a Greenstreak :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your comments David and Wurzal, it's made me feel a lot better.
We plan to go up again to GB as soon as the weather picks up . I also saw my first Green Veined White the day before and a Speckled Wood, still to get a shot of a Orange Tip yet though but things are looking up for our visit to Chitchester, if things are so late this year getting going we may yet see some of the rarer species down there, hope so any way Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:It could be worse, at least you've seen a Greenstreak
This butterfly has really scarred you, hasn't it? :)

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

No! I think it's the weather David :D I should have said I saw the the GVW at Hall-Lee-Brook together with the others the day before I went up to GB :D I think I've got myself into a bit of mix up so maybe your right :D Anyway can't resist putting a shot up of a GHS . :D I took the photo then I put it through Neat Image and kept both. I'm sure the the one I didn't change seems to show more detail ? Goldie :D My shots the first one :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Green Hair Streak GB 7th May 2013 DSCN1275.JPG
Green Hair Streak GB 7th May 2013 DSCN1275 (2).jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”