April 2013 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Neil Hulme

Re: April Sightings

Post by Neil Hulme »

Nice one Nick. The first Green Hairstreak of the season is always a "wow" moment.

News of 194 Small Tortoiseshells at viewtopic.php?t=4065&start=10000

Neil
David M

Post by David M »

aeshna5 wrote:My first Holly Blue of the year today in a garden near Wandsworth Common, London.
Good spot.

You're having an extended period of decent weather in the south east. Here in Swansea it has reverted to wet, cloudy and cool with no chance of conditions improving before next weekend. The 'iron curtain' seems to have descended, and I suspect we're 10 days behind the London area right now.

Holly Blues seem a long way off. In fact, I doubt I'll see an Orange Tip before May meaning that there'll be a whole month's gap at least between first sightings of this butterfly in 2013 compared to 2012.
millerd

Post by millerd »

There is a report of the first Pearl-bordered Fritillary seen on the I.o.W. at the weekend (on the Hampshire BC website, and also the main BC first sightings page).

Dave
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Spent the morning/early pm wandering Epsom Common and getting sunburnt in the process! Lots of female Brimstones (only had males earlier this month) flying today, and several of their eggs found on Alder Buckthorn. Commas, Peacocks and a few Small Whites also noted. Best (for me) was a Holly Blue egglaying on Common Gorse, something I'd not seen before. No Speckled Woods or Orange-tips yet, there time will come I'm sure! Also lots of Diurnea fagella roosting on tree trunks and Orange Underwings over the birches.

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote:Best (for me) was a Holly Blue egglaying on Common Gorse, something I'd not seen before.
:shock:

Never even heard of that before, let alone seen it.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A visit to the Downslink Path today near Partridge Green resulted in my first of 3 species for the year. Large and Green Veined Whites and a Holly Blue but alas only a long distant view of what I think was an Orange-tip. Will have to wait for another day before I can claim this one. Also called into Mill Hill but the Grizzled Skippers still do not seem to be out. Several Peacocks, Brimstone and the odd Small Tortoiseshell also seen during the day.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote:
Gibster wrote:Best (for me) was a Holly Blue egglaying on Common Gorse, something I'd not seen before.
:shock:

Never even heard of that before, let alone seen it.
Gorse is mentioned as a foodplant in Thomas & Lewington. I remember looking it up last year after seeing a Holly Blue laying on a Pyracantha in my garden.

Got home from a day at work and having a coffee in the back garden in the sun when a Small White flew through, my first non-hibernator this year :D

Neil F.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I am sure there will be photos at some point but Matthew Oates has seen two Large Tortoisehells today at Walters Copse IOW see https://twitter.com/ntmatthewoates/stat ... 3360273409 it gets better Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Tuts wrote:I am sure there will be photos at some point but Matthew Oates has seen two Large Tortoisehells today at Walters Copse IOW see https://twitter.com/ntmatthewoates/stat ... 3360273409 it gets better Mark :D
I feel a 2014 pilgrimage coming on...
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

My first Female Brimstone of the year today :D , in the grounds of Sparsholt College, Winchester. Also several males seen.
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

My first Orange tip at Lee valley CP, Fishers Green yesterday.
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Five Peacock butterflies in the garden yesterday afternoon. Cheers Sezar
Attachments
DSC09098.JPG
DSC09093.JPG
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I am just relieved that butterflies are appearing. In the three tetrads I watch there have been only small numbers of Comma, Small Tortoiseshell, Brimstone and Red Admiral, but I live in hope. Last night I had a Robinson trap out and caught about 30 specimens of 20 species so lepidoptera have survived the winter but for me the excitement of the day occurred as I typed this, a pair of bullfinches landed on the birdtable, this first that I have seen for years and to think that I contributed to their downfall when as a youngster in Kent I was paid to shoot them in an orchard because they were vermin.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Holly Blue out all over the country yesterday, it seems..... :)
Here's a male from this morning....
HB_2_low_MRC_24_April_2013.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I was hoping that by the time I arrived at Abbotts Wood today the low cloud would have gone and the sun would shine. Unfortunately though, this did not happen and while some parts of the country were blessed with heat, it didn't happen here so all chances of an Orange-tip went!!
So plan B came into play and I spent well over an hour on my knees trying to find Pearl Bordered Fritillary larva. It took a long time just to find good clumps of violets to make it worth a hard look. Eventually a decent amount of violet was found with signs of nibbles and success with 2 larvae found. Both were in their final instar.
Following this I called into High and Over where the Wall Brown larvae have all disappeared, presumeably to pupate. They have moved from where they have been feeding all through their growth. A search of nearly 2 hours resulted in no finds which is very frustrating having seen them grow up. It was very cold up there so when its a bit warmer I will have another big search. It was a day of highs and lows!!!!
Attachments
DSC_1945 (800x532).jpg
DSC_1926 (800x531).jpg
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Gorse is mentioned as a foodplant in Thomas & Lewington. I remember looking it up last year after seeing a Holly Blue laying on a Pyracantha in my garden.
I spoke to someone at the weekend who found a pink Lycaenid larva eating a raspberry fruit. He raised it through and that turned out to be a Holly Blue. He's also seen them laying on Lucerne.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes - despite our association of this butterfly with holly and ivy it is known to use a great variety of host plants in the wild and gorse is one of them.

There are some really lovely pictures coming out of this late spring! Nick's holly blue and those fantastic pearl bordered fritillary cats can't pass without comment! They have inspired me to go out and look for my local pearlies this weekend. The snow stayed so late it will be interesting to see how advanced they are.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

24th April Scottish Mainland

Ardnamuchan Peninsula Salen area (north bank Loch Sunart) 3 Peacocks, two of which were sparring or in courtship flight. I couldn't follow up as I was temporarily in a passing place on the single track road so had to move on as soon as traffic had passed.

Some 40 years ago, Peacocks used to be rather less common in Scotland but it seems that they are widespread today.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

Female Holly Blue this morning....best I could get...
HB_f_1_low_MRC_25_April_2013.jpg
HB_f_2_low_MRC_25_April_2013.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
rogpow

Post by rogpow »

My first Speckled Wood of the year in my garden today.

Return to “Sightings”