April 2013 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: April Sightings

Post by Willrow »

Good to be back on UK Butterflies (among friends) and especially now that Spring has at last made an effort over the last couple of days!!!

While out birding today in the Black Mountains, South Wales, I saw seven Peacocks (...and I don't mean the feathered variety :roll:) enjoying the daffodils that were in profusion in a very old churchyard. I could not resist taking a few record shots to get my eye in for the new season :wink:

These seven Peacock along with two Small Tortoiseshell are my years total :shock: Now I need a few Orange-tip to get things moving.

Bill :D

Please Note: When you roll your cursor over the image you may be rather confused to see the title Red Admiral!!! What was I thinking :roll: :lol:
Attachments
Rather worn but happily taking nourishment in the pleasant sunshine.
Rather worn but happily taking nourishment in the pleasant sunshine.
This Peacock closed up for a while when the sun disappeared for a while.
This Peacock closed up for a while when the sun disappeared for a while.
Last edited by Willrow on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you back, Willrow.

The way things are shaping up, early May could provide a bonanza for we butterfly enthusiasts.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Tort, Peacock and 2 Brimstone in my local area at lunchtime today. Four Brimstone and a Small Tort at Sillens Lane, Martin Down this afternoon with another 3 Brimstone at the Blandford Road side. Also 5 Small Tort, 4 Peacocks and a Brimstone pair at Middle Street this afternoon. Photos will be on my PD ( eventually)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Gorgeous weather (at last) so my usual weekend trip from Sheerwater into Woking town, was taken on foot along the Basingstoke Canal. The canal is almost an idyllic setting to drink in the sounds and colours of spring. However you're always reminded that urban life isn't far away as the birdsong is rudely punctuated by wailing drone of private light aircraft and your stroll is inconvenienced by the hordes of cyclists thundering down the towpath forcing you to dive for cover :roll: . Still there was plentiy of butterflies and other nature to take in :) . On the way in I saw 2 Peacock, 1 Red Admiral 5 Brimstone and also a Cormorant which is more of a common sight along here than a Heron :o

Also encountered was an all black bumblebee which had huge pollen baskets on its back legs. It's flight appeared different too with a higher pitched buzz which made me think it was a fly at first. Perhaps Wurzel may know what it is?
Unidentified bee. Sorry for poor picture quality
Unidentified bee. Sorry for poor picture quality
On the return journey I saw 6 Brimstone and 4 Comma. Also a Herring Gull: (which find it easy to scavenge as the people aound here like to throw whole loaves of bread in to feed the ducks) :x
2013.04.20 IMG_10005 Comma, Basingstoke Canal, Woking.jpg
2013.04.20 IMG_10033 Brimstone, Basingstoke Canal, Woking.jpg
The ducks are fed up with bread. Its left to the gulls to hoover up
The ducks are fed up with bread. Its left to the gulls to hoover up
Ring No. A6LB
Ring No. A6LB
2013.04.20 IMG_10019 Herring Gull, Basingstoke Canal, Woking.jpg (25.01 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Should the ring number be reported to the RSPB and if so how do I go about it?

Thanks
Phil
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Took a tundle around some of my local spots around Solihull this afternoon. In total about a dozen each of Comma and Peacock plus singles of Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell.
More details and photos as usual on my diary.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Large Tortoiseshell news at base page viewtopic.php?t=4065&start=10000
nomad

Post by nomad »

I had a lovely walk between Martinsell Hill and Savernake Forest yesterday along a wooded green lane. There were lots of winter hibernators flying but no other species. The season this year does indeed seem very behind, the Wood Anemones were in full bloom nearly a month later than last year! I sat on a wooded bank full of spring flowers and watched the delightful Bee Flies hovering like small humming-birds searching for nectar.
Peter.
Dotted Bee-fly Mud Lane.
Dotted Bee-fly Mud Lane.
Comma Mud Lane Wilts
Comma Mud Lane Wilts
Small Tortoiseshell Martinsell Hill
Small Tortoiseshell Martinsell Hill
Peacock Savernake Forest.
Peacock Savernake Forest.
Comma Savernake Forest 20. April
Comma Savernake Forest 20. April
A_T

Post by A_T »

Trip to Whixall Moss yesterday. A few male Brimstones searching rather vainly for nectar. Also a few Peacocks.
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

In my part of the fens, Peacocks have survived the winter in good numbers. Sallow blossom is popular in the mornings, especially the sweetly scented ones;
DSC_0008.JPG
After yesterday's high jinks with Small Tortoiseshells, today, in almost the same spot, a male Peacock began pursuing a female on the ground. He spent several minutes approaching from all directions;
DSC_0020.JPG
Another male arrived and the two of them were fencing with their antennae for about a minute;
DSC_0023.JPG
One of the males was driven off. the other returned to the female and spent some time trying, apparently, to force open her hind wings, which was somewhat shocking, but without success. Finally, he observed from a distance for 5 minutes before departing;
DSC_0035.JPG
The female never once opened her wings or showed the slightest interest in the proceedings. This was happening in good sunshine at midday-ish. Two Green-veined whites flew by but no Orange-tips in the usual places despite a good two hours looking for them,

Rob
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Yesterday my son was birdwatching at Splash Point, Seaford and several Small Tortoiseshell were seen flying in off the sea. This may explain why so many have been seen recently if there is a strong migration going on.
A stroll today to High and Over and Frog Firle produced 5 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Brimstone, 2 Peacock and 2 Comma as well as the 3 Wall Brown larvae.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

We had 14 degrees in Shropshire yesterday. After a hard mornings work in the garden, a beautifully fresh butterfly landed in the garden, which we think is a comma due to the markings, but by the time hubby got the camera, off it had flown. We went out a little later and saw a male brimstone with the most beautiful buttery yellow colour patrolling his patch with such speed and the odd glimpse of a couple of peacocks, but again sadly no photos.

I have not been posting out of season, but have enjoyed reading all the posts over the last few months.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Aright Philzoid - your Bee is a female hairy-footed flower bee, Anthophora plumipes, they're great little beasties :D

Five Rivers today only had 4 Small Tortoiseshell and the first Peacock for the site :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

No butterflies today, I have used up all my butterfly time this week :roll: . Had to do some chores today :( Whilst doing some tidying in the garden I came across this little chap.
Beefly in my garden today
Beefly in the garden today
Beefly in the garden today
I know it is a Beefly, but what species :?:
The last photo used flash ( I have no control over when it decides to use flash) this has rendered the colour innacurate.
I have seen a lot of Beeflies about but normally struggle to get close enough for a photo. With my old point and shoot camera I need to be within a couple of inches of the subject and it takes an age to focus. Beeflies are normally long gone before I get close enough :lol: . This little chap was different, it was definitely alive but did not flinch whilst I was taking several pics, it was still in the same place an hour later. I am not familiar with the life cycle of the Beefly but I know it must have larval and pupal stages. I am assuming this individual had just emerged, any comments appreciated.
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

It looks like a Dark-edged Bee-fly (Bombylius major) to me.
See the key at http://home.hccnet.nl/mp.van.veen/bombyliidae/

You're lucky to have them in your garden. :mrgreen:

Paul
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Philzoid wrote:Should the ring number be reported to the RSPB and if so how do I go about it?
Ringing in the UK is carried out by the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/ri ... ing-scheme

Reports of ring findings are now co-ordinated throughout Europe by the Euring system. Go to the website at http://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/r ... country=EN and follow the instructions to fill in the form there.

Mike
Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

First newly emerged butterfly of the year at Bookham Common on Saturday - a Small White. Also one Red Admiral and a few Brimstones, Commas and Peacocks.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hooray! First of the year - a Green Hairstreak on the Fleam Dyke today, one of 3 seen, with 4 Peacock and an ST :D
GH_1_FD_22_April_2013.jpg
Spring has officially started!
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

NickB wrote:Hooray! First of the year - a Green Hairstreak on the Fleam Dyke today, one of 3 seen, with 4 Peacock and an ST :D
GH_1_FD_22_April_2013.jpg
N
Well done Nick !! Lovely pic of the Green Hairstreak. Still waiting for the Orange Tips...

8)
NickB

Post by NickB »

Charles Nicol wrote:
NickB wrote:Hooray! First of the year - a Green Hairstreak on the Fleam Dyke today, one of 3 seen, with 4 Peacock and an ST :D
The attachment GH_1_FD_22_April_2013.jpg is no longer available
N
Well done Nick !! Lovely pic of the Green Hairstreak. Still waiting for the Orange Tips...
8)
...in the usual place too, Charles...... :wink:
Yes - thought I might see one today....
(This one hadn't had such a good time emerging....
GH_2_low_FD_22_April_2013.jpg
)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

My first Holly Blue of the year today in a garden near Wandsworth Common, London. Also a Peacock.

Return to “Sightings”